Advice for carseat escape artist

So, awesome. My friend has extended RF her younger two kids. Her daughter is 31mo, 24lbs, 34in and so petite. She was in an Evenflo Tribute but was able to get out. Mom has the straps TIGHT and the chest clip perfect. This was a constant problem with Jennifer getting her shoulder straps completely off, and got out of her seat a few times. If not for her older daughters, 8 & 7, she wouldn't know.
So, she bought a True Fit. Same problem and she is beyond frustrated. She is a strict parent that stays on top of things. She calls the harness her 'super straps' and makes it sound so 'cool' to be buckled up. For awhile she FF her because it was so constant and distracting. She has been RF for a few months again and the problem persists. She has had to pull off the interstate to rebuckle her and even on short trips she will have to stop and buckle her again.

Right now we are trying to figure out what to do. Unless there is a solution, she will likely have to FF her so she can catch her before she unbuckles. She also bought a car seat mirror, but she can't watch that all the time or see it in the dark.

ADS

cookie123

This worked great when Matthew was that age - you could take some toilet paper tubes and reinforce them with duct tape and place them on the harness below the chest clip, making it impossible to push the chest clip down. I just used a pair of harness covers I had - they were actually from the Avenue. They were stiff and just the right size and were the kind you have to string on the harness - no velcro!

Awesome! My friend told me that she was very tempted to wrap duct tape around the straps so she can't push it down, but of course we can't do that. Love this idea!

cookie123

Good luck. It worked well for me. We were able to take them off after a couple of months and there were no further problems.

jnamommy

Put the velcro on the chest clip, poky side out. Then when the child tries to undo the chest clip, they have to push on the poky velcro.

Oh, she doesn't open the chest clip, just slides it down.

I don't think the shirt would work, Jennifer is constantly changing her clothes. She would just take it off.

I told my friend about the TP idea and she is going to do that. Hope it works great!

Yes, I understand what you mean, she will just take it off. With 4 kids to buckle I'm sure she doesn't want to hassle with a shirt anyway.

I bought some cute penguin duck tape tonight and am going to get the TP rolls all ready. Hoping to get some pics this weekend!

soygurl

Honestly, I really hate the toilet paper roll trick. The chest chip is designed to move down (and/or break) in a crash. Duct taped TP rolls could prevent the chest clip from performing in the way it is intended, possibly causing injuries. :twocents:

I second the shirt idea, but instead of putting the shirt on backwards over the straps (um, I'm pretty sure most kids could get that off with no trouble at all!), put the shirt on her as usual, but leave it unbuttoned. Then after strapping her in, button the shirt up over the harness. If she's capable of undoing buttons, I'd put her in a zip up, and safety pin the top. If it's too warm for additional layers, I grab something cheap at a thrift store, and cut of the arms.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC