A what would you have done scenerio

christineka

Since it might happen again.

I had no plans to transport cub scouts today, so I brought the car. It was thrown on me that I had to take 3 to the grocery store. My older 3 kids can fit 3 across, but maybe that's only because they don't mind squishing up next to each other. Or maybe my kids are extra skinny. I don't know, but with two boys in boosters, a 3rd didn't fit in between. None of the boys five stepped. I happened to have 3 boosters in the car, but 3 don't fit across the back. Two boys were 8 years old, one was 9. Not transporting them is not an option because the alternative would be riding unrestrained or double buckled in the other vehicle. What do you do?

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I would have put my kid in the front in a booster (because I know my kid has had STAY-IN-POSITION drilled into him) and the other kids in the back in boosters. I'm not nearly as anti-front seat as many people to begin with. There are many factors why the trend of injuries in the front seat are higher and many of them can easily be mitigated through proper behavior and restraint types. There are actually some safety advantages in the front seat as well.

amyd

I would have put my kid in the front in a booster (because I know my kid has had STAY-IN-POSITION drilled into him) and the other kids in the back in boosters. I'm not nearly as anti-front seat as many people to begin with. There are many factors why the trend of injuries in the front seat are higher and many of them can easily be mitigated through proper behavior and restraint types. There are actually some safety advantages in the front seat as well.

This is what I would have done.

christineka

You guys make me feel better. I did put a kid up front. My son was the oldest, so I put him up there. I know the shortest kid (who sat in the cruz) regularly rides in the front seat in other vehicles. I don't know about the other kid. He thought the old parkway was a cool seat, though he was hesitant to sit in a booster at first. I didn't have to adjust the hbb either.

babyherder

I would put the oldest in the front in a booster. I might actually put the oldest who isn't mine up front in a booster. I don't think having to transport other people's children by surprise (like in a rude, we forgot to mention it so you pick up the slack kind of way, not in an emergency) should mean my child is less safe.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I would put the oldest in the front in a booster. I might actually put the oldest who isn't mine up front in a booster. I don't think having to transport other people's children by surprise (like in a rude, we forgot to mention it so you pick up the slack kind of way, not in an emergency) should mean my child is less safe.

well, maybe, but I'll put my kid in the front before I'll risk another kid. I know *I* won't sue myself.

luckyclov

This is what I would have done as well.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I used to put a kid up front because my car, while it technically has 3 rear seating positions, has those really scooped out ultra contoured seats that really negate a 3 rd person actually riding back there, especially in a carseat/booster. I'd probably put the biggest trustworthy kid up there.

bnsnyde

OMG. Tough!
I think I would not have transported.
Last minute, no proper seats for everyone, etc. And let's say I didn't want to put a kid that young in front (which I don't).

I would say it's not my problem. If kids ride in my car, they ride safely.
But we have no room so nobody would ask me. :) Well, the front is open...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Like Safeinthecar, though I avoid it when possible, I am not as anti-front-seat as some. In this situation, all had proper restraints available, they just didn't fit 3 across. I'd have done what you did (and she said) for this time, and look into making sure I had boosters that fit 3 across in case it happened again.

christineka

and look into making sure I had boosters that fit 3 across in case it happened again.

It's impossible in this car. My oldest two 5 step in the middle, so I stick one of them there when I have the three oldest in the car. I have both a small and large vest. Not sure how that would go with kids who normally ride in just a seatbelt. They had a hard enough time threading the belt in the booster.

tam_shops

I'm a bit surprised. I'd have put the 9yo in the middle w/ no booster b/c (here) that'd be legal, but a child in the front w/ booster in front of air bag is not legal. Right?

Honestly, I'd probably have said I only have room for 2 in my car, but I'm really curious about front seat w/ booster and air bag safety wise vs back seat no booster and legal?

tam

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
tam_shops said:
I'm a bit surprised. I'd have put the 9yo in the middle w/ no booster b/c (here) that'd be legal, but a child in the front w/ booster in front of air bag is not legal. Right?

Honestly, I'd probably have said I only have room for 2 in my car, but I'm really curious about front seat w/ booster and air bag safety wise vs back seat no booster and legal?

tam

Here it's not illegal to have a non-rear-facing kid in the front seat with an airbag. (I mean, the front seat is illegal in some situations, but not because of the airbag.)

In my state, it would actually be illegal to have a kid who doesn't properly fit the seatbelt in back.

I'm also not terribly anti-front-seat, especially with advanced airbags.

I would also put my kid up front, all other things being relatively equal.

christineka

My state has no law against the front seat, other than proper use, so no rfing seats in front of an air bag. The law also says none of these kids need boosters. The law would allow the extra kids to ride unbelted in the other vehicle, since it was full. Also, I care about these kids, so I wouldn't knowingly send them into a dangerous situation (such as being double buckled or unrestrained.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's impossible in this car. My oldest two 5 step in the middle, so I stick one of them there when I have the three oldest in the car. I have both a small and large vest. Not sure how that would go with kids who normally ride in just a seatbelt. They had a hard enough time threading the belt in the booster.

Impossible? Really? Even with BubbleBums? If I had a vest with me I might have put my kid in the vest if he fit.

Keeanh

tam

It's legal for children to be in the front seat here (BC). We have a child in the front seat more often than not. We're a little short on space, LOL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC