Afraid to graduate 7 yr old to booster

kbins

How old is TOO old to keep a kid harnessed?

I have my 7.5 year old in a Britax Frontier, harnessed. He is 56 lbs, 56.5 inches tall. He has PDD-NOS (autism spectrum, high functioning but rather impulsive).

The ONE time I put the 7 year old in a backless booster (the 10 year old's booster), for a quick trip at a time when the car seats were not installed, he did great on staying positioned. I just don't know if he'd do it consistently, back in the 3rd row of our 05 Sienna, when I can't always monitor him.

Is it reasonable to keep him in the Frontier, harnessed, to the weight limit, or am I being overly protective?

I have a 5 year old who has outgrown his (older) Marathon by height, for whom I have now purchased a Frontier 85 as well. For our second car, I'd love to cascade the 7 year old's Frontier, and have the 7 year old using a less expensive seat or even a booster, rather than buy a FOURTH Frontier for the 5 year old.

(DD is 2.5 and only 28 lbs, still RF in a fairly new Marathon, so that seat will hold her for a long while and so her seat won't come into play.)

ETA: I've been keeping with the Britax family because of our familiarity with install/consistency between the two cars, and because DD was able to unbuckle the Graco clips easily.

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
There is no evidence that a PROPERLY used booster is any safer than a harness. Proper is the key here - that the child is physically large enough (check!) and behaviorally mature enough. Normally, 7 year olds are well mature enough to handle the responsibility of sitting properly in a booster, with your situation, you know your son's impulse control the best. If you're not comfortable with him having that responsibility quite yet and he still fits harnessed in the Frontier - leave him harnessed.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Oh, and as far as a less expensive alternative to the Frontier for your spare if you decide to keep the 7 year old harnessed a while longer, the Graco Nautilus ($140), Evenflo SecureKid ($130), and Evenflo Maestro $70) are all good choices.

MomToBen

I am keeping my 6 yo DS harnessed in his Frontier for as long as possible - for exactly the same reason. (DS Dx'd with Aspergers. Impulsive, fidgety, goofy. Still sleeps in the seat. All good reasons to keep him harnessed.) However, we don't have a seat cascading issue.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
My neurotypical 7.5 year old is still harnessed because he prefers it. I would be totally comfortable with him in a booster, but since there's no evidence that one is safer than the other, and both options are safe choices for him, I let him choose.

CrazyBoysMamma

I'm in a similar situation with my about to be 9 year old. He does great in the booster for shorter trips or less often. He's now in a booster part time for shorter trips and in secondary vehicles. His main seat is still the FR85, harnessed. If I were you I'd keep trying him in the booster for shorter trips, preferably when someone can keep an eye on him at first, and see how he does. I understand your fear, I dread the day Aidan gains another 1/2 inch of torso height. :(

ElfJewel

Normally for a kid that age and size, a booster and a harness are both very safe. But with impulse control, if they don't have the self-control to sit still in a booster, a harness is safer. If possible, I would keep both the Frontier and a booster in the car for him to use, and see how he does in a booster (I prefer a highback for kids coming out of a harness). But I don't think there is really a "too old" to use a harness.
I understand your problem, K is very wiggly. I kept her in a harness until just a couple of months ago because I couldn't trust her to sit still. With practice she has become a good booster rider.

henrietta

My 6.5 year old regularly rode in a harnessed seat till he was 6, w/occasional rides in a booster. He has high functioning autism, and can be impulsive and flat out "defiant" for lack of a better word. But he's doing fine. It took some work.

That said, I have no problem as a parent or tech, with you keeping him harnessed a while longer--heck, keep him harnessed till he maxes out the seat if you want to! ;)

I think buying him a good booster to learn to use in the second car is a great idea--you can booster train him there, when your spouse is driving, so you can watch him.

OR you could buy the younger child a seat like the Evenflo Secure Kid 300 or a Graco Nautilus, for about the same cost as a really nice booster, but way less than the Frontier. When the younger one maxes it out, hand down the Frontier and let the older one use the Nauti as a booster (will work if he still fits it that way).

It doesn't have to be another Frontier.

GL!

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC