Question Britax Boulevard in a 2007 CRV? Ack!

Hi there,

I imagine this, or similar, question has been asked before but I've been looking through the forum and I can't seem to find it yet.

I just purchased a Britax Boulevard for my 5-month-old after he's outgrown his infant seat. I have a 2007 Honda CRV and my father helped me install the seat in the center position, rear facing. It appears to be in okay but I can't believe how hard it is to get my baby into the seat. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions.

We've used the latch system for the install and also used the Versa Tether. The Versa Tether is part of the problem. Getting my baby under the belt for it is tricky since the only anchor for it that we could find is the one by the rear trunk door, rather than on the floor of the back seat, so it blocks the path to place the baby in the seat. Plus, when he's in the seat his little feet are jammed up against the back of the seat in front of him. This is ok right now but I can't imagine it'll be comfortable for him for long. As well, having him in the center adds to the difficulty in getting him into the seat since I have to get into the car and sit beside the seat, twisting awkwardly to put him in but someone told me it's the safest place for him to be.

So my questions are these:
1. With this configuration, does the Versa Tether add much to the safety of the seat? Has anyone had an additional D-ring/Versa Tether hook added to their CRV on the floor of the vehicle behind the front seats?

2. Does he need to be in the center of the car or is it just as safe for him behind the passenger seat rather than in the middle?

3. Is it just this hard to get babies in to rear facing seats and I should suck it up? Or do you think something is wrong with the installation? (The blue line on the base of the seat is level.)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
Amber

ADS

jjordan

It sounds like you are tethering Australian-style. It will be easier to get your child into the seat if you tether Swedish style, with the tether strap going toward the front of the vehicle. There are videos and threads about this; I'll try to come up with a few and come back with links.

As for added safety, it is not really known what, if any, safety is added by using a tether when the seat is rear facing.

As for the center vs passenger side, the difference in safety is not very significant, but usually if you have just one child and no reason to put the seat outboard, you might as well put it in the center. Just be aware that you can't use LATCH (the lower anchors) in the center, as far as I know, so you'll need to install the seat with a seatbelt.

It will be easier to get your child in the seat when the top tether is moved. Also, when he is able to climb, he can get himself in.

The boulevard is allowed to be anywhere from 30-45* reclined from vertical. I believe the blue "level to ground" line is about halfway between 30* and 45*. So if you want to try to install the seat a little more or less upright, you can give it a shot and see if it would make anything easier. If you'd like tips for getting a different installation angle, let us know.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Here's a video for how to do your tether Swedish style, it'll make it much easier! :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2upADev-UrM"]Installing a Rear-Facing Tether Connector Strap (D-Ring) - YouTube[/ame]

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Before the OP panics, the 2007 CRV DOES allow for center LATCH. It has a fifth anchor to borrow one from the passenger side (I believe) and then use its own. So yes, she can use center LATCH, there are anchors, and Honda approves of it.

And I agree with the others, OP. Tether the Swedish way or undo it. The Australian way gives me an eye twitch. It makes sense in Australia, but not here, and I bet it's a big reason why they turn their kids forward facing at six months.

If you need more beyond the video, there are instructions in your manual on tethering the Swedish way. But many people find them confusing.

Wendy

Thank you SO much for all of your responses. I'm glad the tether issue isn't just me. And I didn't realize there was such a thing as Australian and Swedish methods. Those crazy Australians!

I appreciate all the info, and the video. I had been looking for a specific designated tether spot on the floor, like a D-ring, and I didn't think about the rail for the front passenger seat as an option. I'll take a look in the morning to see if that would work for us.

And yes, we did find that extra latch in the middle and it clicked in easily so I'm certain that it's in there properly. I'll see if the tether on the floor makes a difference with the angle of the seat and, if not, I'll roll up a towel and put it under the seat to angle it back a bit more.

Again, thanks so much for all of your help. It's very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Amber

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Glad we could help. You shouldn't have trouble finding a tether point in the morning.

You cannot use the tether to adjust the angle of the Boulevard. If it's too upright for him (it doesn't need to be 45 degrees if he has head control) then you need a pool noodle or towel.

Wendy

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Glad we could help. You shouldn't have trouble finding a tether point in the morning.

You cannot use the tether to adjust the angle of the Boulevard. If it's too upright for him (it doesn't need to be 45 degrees if he has head control) then you need a pool noodle or towel.

Wendy

I just wanted to agree with this... just pull the slack out of the tether strap...if you pull it too tight you can actually break the recline mechanism on the seat, which renders it useless forward facing...

Okay, thanks for the info on the tether. I won't tighten it past getting the slack out of it. I think I'll probably end up using a towel to add a bit more of an angle to it then. Again, much appreciated!

NightRunner

Hi, I also have a Boulevard and an '07 CRV. I used LATCH for the middle seat (but it is actually slightly more toward the passenger side due to the awkward LATCH position, and I tethered to the inner driver seat track. The flip up console between the two center seats made it impossible to slip the tethering loop around the passenger seat track, but its pretty much in the middle of the car anyway. Good luck!!

Nightrunner - Thanks! This is exactly what I ended up doing as well. We had a much better experience in the car today than we have had previously. My fingers are crossed that the screaming fits, at least related to the seating situation, are over :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC