Question 3 across ford explorer

U

Unregistered

I am shocked this SUV is so narrow! We are having a baby in the next few wks and will have the Graco SafeSeat installed in the middle seat. Other kids are 4yo and 5.5yo and meet the height/weight minimums for high back boosters. We currently have them both (happily!) in the Graco Nautilus and the Britax Frontier, but these carseats don't allow the infant seat to fit. Would love any advice on what we need to purchase for 1 or both of the bigger kids that would get us the utmost safety. The Recaro Vivo has been rec'd by friends as pretty narrow. Thoughts on that v anything else?

We'll try to keep the 4yo in the Nautilus (infant in SafeSeat) and just buy one high-back booster for the 5.5yo (almost 6yo), but have a feeling we'll need 2 high-backs bc of the narrow-ness of this car. We are getting a new car later in the year and will go back to the 5pt seats, but want something safe in the meantime (and boosters are always great for passing off kids to grandma, etc.!)

Thanks so much for any advice!

ADS

Kaitsmom

What are the oldest 2 heights and weights? Boosters are acutually more difficult in a tight 3 across because they are hard to get buckled.

hrice

Are you open to the idea of using a convertible seat from birth with the baby? I'm thinking a Combi Coccoro might work. Are you using LATCH or seatbelt to install your Nautilis's?

lahuffman

We recently traded in my 2007 Explorer, but before that I was able to fit 3 across. I had a FR85 behind the passenger seat, a SKR80 RF and FF behind the driver and have a SR30 in the middle. I used latch for the 2 outboard seats and seatbelt for the middle. All of the seats were a tight install independent of each other. The handle on the SR30 did bump the armrest on the FR85 but did not affect the install, it was still fully locked into the base.

ran13

I have a completely different car a 2010 Subaru legacy. But I have a radian 80 and a classic marathon next to a safe seat in that. All seatbelt installs. Checked by two techs and approved, works well for us.

O

onemore

I just joined to post a similar question, but figured I might as well piggyback on this post. I have a 2007 Explorer, no third row, and am expecting our third child.

The situation:

5 yr old, 36 lbs, slightly shorter than avg- Graco Nautilus

3 yr old, 30 lbs, avg height- Britax Blvd or Evenflo Triumph Advance

Newborn (Aug 2012)- Graco Snugride

We can certainly replace any of these seats...much cheaper than replacing the vehicle! Would love to hear any recommendations of seats that would work. We tried and were not able to fit the Nautilus, Snugride, and Evenflo Triumph together (at least not with the infant in the middle). Havent tried the Britax in the combination yet. Would consider a booster with back for the 5 year old, but am not sure how we would fit our hand in to buckle it.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Depending on the year of your Explorer, you will likely have no issue getting three-across. I had an older model (2002) and had many arrangements in the 2nd row, including two very wide seats. I'd encourage you to put the baby's seat outboard, for easier access.

U

Unregistered

Thank you everyone for your responses! I'm so excited to work this out. I'm sorry I left so much out. So...

2002 Explorer (Eddie Bauer, if matters)

No latch system

Middle seat has only a lap-belt, no shoulder strap. So, I think that makes me have to have the infant seat there if we are indeed using boosters. (And, in the new car, I'll be able to re-use the Nautilus and Frontier, so I'd love to avoid spending tons on non-boosters for just a few months.)

5.5yo is tall for age (99%), due for an appt so not exactly sure how tall. He is 50lbs.
almost-4yo is tall (75%) as well, 40lbs. I'm so embarrassed not to have their exact heights, sorry!

I'd really rather not use a convertible for the baby since the summer is coming and I've got drop-offs everywhere and baby will be sleeping in the carseat! But, safety is most important, of course, so I am open to it if need be.

Something someone said reminded me. I do have an unexpired Marathon as well! It's in storage from before I bought the Nautilus. What about putting 4yo in that (outboard), with the SafeSeat in the middle, then maybe a highback booster (recaro?) on one outboard? I believe he is still in the limits for that. He is not 49 inches tall, that is for sure! If that doesn't work, I'm still in need of 2 recs for outboard. The 2 seats I have are just way too wide to fit an infant seat btwn (I can't even fit a backless $20 booster btwn them).

Thanks so much!!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
You have lots of options. I'd put the 4yo in the middle, harnessed, with the baby and the booster outboard. Ours was the Eddie Bauer as well, and I put lots of seats in there.

a194dd75.jpg

That is a Graco MyRide, Recaro ProSport, and Safety 1st Complete Air. The My Ride and Pro Sport are really wide seats.

U

Unregistered

Thanks, An Aurora! So you think we'll fit the Nautilus in the center ok? I guess when the infant seat is RF, it fits more like a puzzle with the others. That is fantastic. Last q if you're still around....do you have a rec for a narrow high-backed-booster? I like the price and referrals of the Recaro Vivo, but want to get a good one! :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I don't have a lot of experience with the higher end boosters but I have s Britax Parkway, Graco Turbo booster and Harmony Dreamtime and like them all. Ice heard really good things about the Vivo.

And yes the Nautilus will fit there, for sure. I forgot that when my son was younger we had his Graco SafeSeat in the Explorer with the Complete Air and First Years True Fit. :)

U

Unregistered

I am piggybanking off the question

I have a 1998 and a 1999 for explorer
I have 2 kids and one in the way. A 7 year old and a 4 year old. The 7 year is in a high back/regular booster and the 4 year old is in a convertible infant/toddler seat. She is small for her age she only weights 29 lbs. I need to figure out how to arrange 3 car seats in my explorer we cant afford to replace the vehicle but can get new seats if possible. Thanks in advance

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC