Window shades?

ADS

singingpond

I saw an innovative solution to this the other day in a car next to me -- a small towel held in by the top of the closed vehicle window and dangling down inside the car. Didn't look like the most convenient thing, but DH and I were commenting that at least it wouldn't have the projectile risk of one of the suction-cup shades :rolleyes: .

Katrin

Melizerd

I have a cling style and I really like it. It's some no name brand that I found at Kmart? I think.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Self-cling are fine ... we've also done the towel in the window before when the self-cling wasn't enough (can't afford more real tint from the dealership)

southpawboston

i agree with the above PPs about the suction cup shades--- ours kept falling off. plus the material barely filtered out any sun. :rolleyes:

i don't like the towel idea because it causes a big blind spot for the driver and can compromise the driver's view out the car.

the cling shades seem to be the safest.

BudgieStew

pita.
We do have the cling ones, a basketball and Dora oh no you can't tell we have kids there.:cool:
They stay nicely as long as you are able to put them up in warm weather but really the sun protection for the eyes they give are minimal.
We are always saying we should spring for tinting but just never get around to it.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Which kind of suction cup shade are you talking about?

1) The suction cup/roller kind
pTRU1-3873647dt.jpg

2) The softer suction cup kind
51D1FK5D7KL._SS500_.jpg

Technically, I think both are projectiles, but #1 is MUCH MUCH worse. The roller kind (#1) is VERY dangerous. The softer kind (#2) is technically a projectile, but it isn't nearly as dangerous, in my opinion.

As others said, though, the softer suction cup type (#2) often falls down. I have one in my rear window and I would say I now have to reattach one of the suction cups once every few weeks.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Exactly -- if you don't like the idea of whacking it on your kid's noggin at a stand still ... well, you definitely don't want it flying at him/her with the force of a crash.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
True about the towel & blind spot -- should've noted that I only liked it on the rear seat driver side since I can't see out that window anyway.... Also, just in case anyone hasn't learned this "new" trick for blind spots: adjust your driver side mirrors so that you can see the rear bumper while leaning over to the window + adjust the passenger side mirror so that you can see the rear bumper while learning into the center between the 2 front seats. I thought it sounded kind of crazy when I heard it in my last Defensive Driving course, but I've gotten used to it & it does greatly diminish my blind spot :cool: (the shoulder belt does stay properly positioned on me, too, for someone who be wondering that)

Connor's Mom

i don't like the towel idea because it causes a big blind spot for the driver and can compromise the driver's view out the car.

:yeahthat:

I use the ones like #2 in my car and have never had a problem with the suction cups not sticking. My windows are slightly tented so the amount of filter that they provide is not an issue.
In DH's car, the windows are tented and for the rear window the car came with a sun shade that is actually part of the car that is moterized, push a button and it goes up and down. :thumbsup:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
True about the towel & blind spot -- should've noted that I only liked it on the rear seat driver side since I can't see out that window anyway.... Also, just in case anyone hasn't learned this "new" trick for blind spots: adjust your driver side mirrors so that you can see the rear bumper while leaning over to the window + adjust the passenger side mirror so that you can see the rear bumper while learning into the center between the 2 front seats. I thought it sounded kind of crazy when I heard it in my last Defensive Driving course, but I've gotten used to it & it does greatly diminish my blind spot :cool: (the shoulder belt does stay properly positioned on me, too, for someone who be wondering that)

LOL, I've always put my mirrors like that, and my dad and uncles (truck drivers all) always razz me about it. They ask if I get lost so easy I have to see my own car.

Kimberly

Laurenc0101

We use a suction cup one with good results in our truck. The windows are already tinted, but I wanted to make sure ds wasn't being completely blinded by the sun. Ours has suction cups at the top and velcro strips at the bottom that attach it to the back of the seat. We only have problems with the suction cups when we roll down the windows. HTH :D

jdchic3

Our windows are already partially tinted, and we have the roller suction cup kind. I think when I go to BRU on friday I'm going to get one of the cling kind. The more I read stuff here the more I'm realizing things I need to change. This is one of them! Thanks guys!

ignora

Senior Community Member
I'd be okay with the second kind. I can throw a suction cup at DH's head and not hurt him (lol).

Yeah, I use something similar to that and rarely have it fall off. You guys may get grossed out, but I just lick the suction cups before I put them on the window... works really well. Or, maybe I just have super sticky spit. :whistle:

I have the cling ones on my side rear windows.

southpawboston

i'm not worried so much about the suction cups hitting me as i am the wire hem that runs around the edge of the shade. not sure if it's made out of metal or nylon, but they usually have a rigid wire sewn in to the hem to keep its shape.

Melizerd

Yeah, I use something similar to that and rarely have it fall off. You guys may get grossed out, but I just lick the suction cups before I put them on the window... works really well. Or, maybe I just have super sticky spit. :whistle:

I have the cling ones on my side rear windows.

You're not supposed to lick them? I have ALWAYS licked them (lol)

Morganthe

I don't lick them, but I either spit or wet them down with some water. Otherwise, anything with suction cups + glass is basically useless. Sometimes I've had a cup that refused to stay suctioned, but if I wet it down, clamp hard to make it completely flat on the window, it WILL stay there! :mad::p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC