Question 3 kids in 2002 Civic - Booster, RF carseat, infant carseat

lrh

I am trying to figure out how to fit a booster seat (for my 6 yr old - weighing about 45-48 lbs), a convertible carseat preferably RF (for my 2 and a half yr old - weighing about 28-30 lbs), and an infant carseat with a base (for a newborn) into my 2002 Honda Civic.

My current seats (Evenflo Big Kid booster (without back), Britax Roundabout, and Graco Snugride 22) definitely will not fit. I plan to replace the booster and the convertible (since the convertible is getting old and should probably be replaced soon anyway). I would prefer not to have to replace the infant seat, but will do so if necessary to make it fit.

At this point I am considering a Bubblebum booster for my 6 yr old (since it does not have armrests which I find always get in the way) and a Radian for my 2&1/2 yr old. I have a few questions:

1) Is there any way to fit the Bubblebum and Radian with a Snugride 22 and base, or will I have to get a narrower infant seat and base (like the Chicco Key Fit)?

2) Will the Radian fit RF in a 2002 Civic? And, if so, in which seat position(s)?

3) Which seat should I put in the middle position?

4) Is there a less expensive convertible seat than the Radian that would fit RF (or at least FF) with the Bubblebum and an infant seat/base?

Thanks!

ADS

christineka

I fit a radian rfing in my 2006 civic just fine. I do have to brace it.

The bubble bum and cosco topsider are your best bets for boosters that fit AND can be buckled. Not sure about an infant seat with a booster. I chose to go with the ride safer travel vest for my booster kids in the civic.

EmmaGrace'sMom

I have a RF Radian in my 09' Civic. It fits well in the center, I can also put it behind me, but I'm 5'4" and don't have to put the seat all the way back.

I don't know of anything other than a Radian that you will be able to make work. Your SR will probably work beside the Radian, if not try the Keyfit. Also, if your SR doesn't work a Cocorro probably will if you can skip the bucket.

Jan06twinmom

How tall is your 6yo? I'm wondering if the 6yo might fit in the Radian for a little while. My DD is about 44lbs and 45in tall and has some growing room in the Radian harness still.

Even though your 6yo is probably mature enough to use a booster seat, it might be easier for you to have 3 harness seats along the back. It can be difficult to buckle a seatbelt for a booster seat on a regular basis with 2 other car seats in the vehicle. Then you only have to cram you hand between the car seats when you install the seat instead of every time your child gets in the car.

I know one of my friends was able to do 2 radians ff and a snugride rf in her older style civic and then did 3 across with a rf radian.

I'm wondering if a Cosco Scenera might work for your 2.5 yo for now. If so, maybe do Scenera rf for the 2yo, Radian ff for the 6yo and Snugride rf for the baby. Down the road, the Scenera would go to the baby, the Radian to the then 3yo and then booster (bumblebum maybe?) for the 7yo. If the Scenera doesn't work, you could do 2 Radians and pass the Radian from the 6yo to the baby in a year or so.

Melanie

lrh

Thanks for the suggestions! The first seat we plan to replace is the convertible since it is bulky and getting old. After that we will see if it's also necessary to replace the booster and the Snugride. I'd like to get a new convertible asap and then play around with my options for fitting them in.

Which of the following would be the best bet for a narrow convertible that would fit well with a booster and infant seat:

Evenflo Tribute
Cosco Easy Fit 65
Safety 1st Onside Air
Cosco Scenera

If a Radian would be a definite advantage for narrowness over the above choices, I would be willing to spend the extra money on it, but if one or more of the above would be as good I'd rather save myself the expense of the Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC