RSTV questions and advice for other options

momtoo3

This will be long and probably confusing, sorry. I don't feel like reading the RSTV manual online. My brain is going in a million directions. I was asked to start watching 2 more kids part time. I don't know if I will do it yet but part of my decision will be on if they will fit in my van. I won't be going out a ton but do need to go out for some things. I drive an 03 Caravan and have 2 3 person 3rd row seats. The 6 little kids will be :
DS3- 3.5 yrs harnessed (currently in a MA70)
3.5 FF harnessed CarGo and booster training (no flames please, if you have read other posts of mine you know why I am doing this and it seems to be working)
3 FF harnessed (new kid)
2.5 FF harnessed Scenera (his mom wants him FF)
1.5 RF but his mom wants him FF and I will FF him when he turns 2 this summer at her request (Tribute)
9 months RF (new kid)
plus either ds2 or ds1 at times. Ds1 5 steps and will ride up front as needed but I am not sure if it is better for ds2 to be up front this summer just to be dropped off at camp or to put a FF harnessed seat there for another kid. It would be a huge pain to move that seat around all the time.

Current seating arrangement before adding in a FF 3 r old and RF 9 month old is 3rd row Cargo/FF Scenera/Big Kid nbb or nothing for ds1, 2nd row (with only the 2 person bench in) FF MA70/Vivo.

One 3 person bench has 3 TT with a lap belt in the middle (would prefer this one stays in the 3rd row because it has a 60/40 fold which is helpful on the weekends when we need extra cargo space) and the other has 1 TT in the middle with a lap belt only in that spot. A booster cannot go on the drivers side of that bench because the seatbelt buckle stalk pushes through the bench seat and is a huge pain to get back up. I am not willing to fight it every single time it needs to be buckled.

I currently can get a CarGo, FF Scenera and Big Kid booster in the 3rd row with no extra room.

I am thinking
2nd row RF Tribute 1.5 yr old/FF MA70 ds3/RF ??? 9 mo old
3rd row CarGo 3 yr old/FF Scenera 2.5 yr old/RSTV 3.5 yr old
When I take ds2 to camp 2 miles away he either goes up front in his Vivo or ds3 stays home with ds1 for the 20 minutes I will be gone (ds1 will be 12 and we are okay with this because my neighbor will be home and will keep an eye on the house) and the 3.5 yr old goes in ds3's MA70 while ds2 sits in the 3rd row either in the RSTV or Big Kid nbb.

So my questions about the RSTV (I've never seen one in real life):
* can I leave it TT and just strap the kid into it?
* is it a huge pain?
* is there a better alternative?
* can it be used up front with the seat belt and no TT for ds2? If so is it better than using his Vivo up there?

A couple of other questions
*is the Safety 1st Go Hybrid a better alternative to the RSTV if it fits?
*any other solutions to my tight 3 acrosses beside telling me I'm nuts for having all these kids?

I am not sure if this will work out and it will only be part time if it does. I just need to make sure I can get everyone in my van when I need to take ds2 to camp or take a kid to the doctor.

ADS

creideamh

I can answer these:

* can I leave it TT and just strap the kid into it? Yes
* is it a huge pain? Not really, for me at least
* is there a better alternative? For a seriously tight 3 across, not really
* can it be used up front with the seat belt and no TT for ds2? If so is it better than using his Vivo up there? It can be used without the TT in any lap/shoulder position, but if your car has airbags, I wouldn't put a 6.5 y/o there. If it were me and I HAD to, I'd use the Vivo, I think... not the RSTV (for the shell's protection.)

christineka

* can it be used up front with the seat belt and no TT for ds2? If so is it better than using his Vivo up there? It can be used without the TT in any lap/shoulder position, but if your car has airbags, I wouldn't put a 6.5 y/o there. If it were me and I HAD to, I'd use the Vivo, I think... not the RSTV (for the shell's protection.)

I'd use the rstv over a high back booster. It puts the child further from the air bag. It's recommended to put a backless booster up front rather than a high back for the the same reason.

momtoo3

I'd use the rstv over a high back booster. It puts the child further from the air bag. It's recommended to put a backless booster up front rather than a high back for the the same reason.

So would a backless booster or RSTV be better up front? I am okay with him in a backless booster if he will not be sleeping.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC