Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

2003 Jetta with twins-which convertible car seat will fit?

Our twins are ready to graduate from their infant carriers (over 20 pounds, 8 months). Need help figuring out what two rear-facing seats will fit in our 2003 VW Jetta. Anyone else that has the same car/year&make with this problem?
    Would prefer to find a 3 in one budget-friendly car seat.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: 2003 Jetta with twins-which convertible car seat will fit?

There are not many 3 in 1 seats out there that actually do all 3 things well. You are MUCH better off purchasing a good convertible seat that will get them to appropriate booster age then purchasing a dedicated booster.

Most convertible seats allow for the seat to be more upright allowing more room than infant seats, so if you fit two infant seats you should have no trouble whatsoever fitting two convertible seats.

The britax next generation models (marathon 70, boulevard 70, roundabout 55) all fit very well in smaller cars and will get most kids to 2.5-3yrs rear facing and 4.5-5 forward facing. This is what we have for our Toyota Yaris. If you buy online you will find much better prices than in store, but you can still try them out at Babies R Us if you'd like first.

Evenflo Triumph Advance is another option offers a slightly taller shell and harness height meaning more time before it is outgrown. I don't have personal experience with this seat in your car, but I have found that overall it is a pretty easy seat to install and use.
    Jen CPST-I
    DS1: 7 years 43# 49" Monterey, Probooster, Turbo SS DS2: 5 years 36# 41" Recaro Prosport, Frontier 85 and BV70

CPS Technician
    The 3-in-1 try to do everything, but don't do everything well. They fail in some way. Mostly in booster mode. Boosters can be as cheap as the graco turbo for $50 later.

My favorite convertibles are the graco myride, evenflo triumph/momentum, safety1st complete air, first year truefit and radians. I don't know what fits in your vehicle. All but the radians can be found for $150 or less. They should all last you until 4-5y.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

CPS Technician
    The PP mentioned britax seats. They can be pricy. The britax classic marathon can still be bought at Target and is cheaper then the new 70 version. They do fit in tight places well, but the seats i listed either last longer or are cheaper or both.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

Quote Originally Posted by pippi2077 View Post
    The 3-in-1 try to do everything, but don't do everything well. They fail in some way. Mostly in booster mode. Boosters can be as cheap as the graco turbo for $50 later.

My favorite convertibles are the graco myride, evenflo triumph/momentum, safety1st complete air, first year truefit and radians. I don't know what fits in your vehicle. All but the radians can be found for $150 or less. They should all last you until 4-5y.
    I must need shopping help lol! I can't find a Radian for under $200! Also I am waiting to recommend them again until they have fixed their manuals. I still think the seat is great but at the moment not for parents who are not "here" all the time, kwim?
    Jen CPST-I
    DS1: 7 years 43# 49" Monterey, Probooster, Turbo SS DS2: 5 years 36# 41" Recaro Prosport, Frontier 85 and BV70

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by yetanotherjen View Post
    I must need shopping help lol! I can't find a Radian for under $200! Also I am waiting to recommend them again until they have fixed their manuals. I still think the seat is great but at the moment not for parents who are not "here" all the time, kwim?
    No, you're right. The Radians do cost over $200. The pp said that the other seats (but not the Radians) cost under $150.

What is wrong with the manuals though?

Melanie

CPS Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by yetanotherjen

I didn't say the radian was cheap, but it will last years longer then any Britax. Our DD is extremely tall and outgrew the britax bv at not yet 4y, so I had to go and buy a hwh. I tries her in the radian a few weeks ago and she was in the 2nd to the top slots at almost 5y. So a whole year after outgrowing the bv. She could easily make it to 6-7y harnessed in the radian and go to a lbb which would have cost me $15.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa

CPS Technician
    OP, are you planning more kids while still owning the Jetta? If so we can narrow your list by a lot.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by Jan06twinmom View Post
    No, you're right. The Radians do cost over $200. The pp said that the other seats (but not the Radians) cost under $150.

What is wrong with the manuals though?

Melanie
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=217285

Arggg sorry I should read ALL the words in a sentence not just some!
    Jen CPST-I