Recaro Prosport or Britax FR85

lovemy2kidstw

Ok I am trying to decide what car seat to get for DD for DH's vehicle(s). He drives a 2003 F350 extended cab. The back seats are small. I have a FR85 for my vehicle so I tried it in DH's truck. The whole recline foot plus a little more hangs off. I'm not sure if it's more than 20% or not , it looks close. Anyone have experience with this seat in this truck?

I love the FR85, but the Prosport looks really awesome also & it would give me a chance to play with a different brand of seat & come out of my britax bubble ;). Is the Prosport shorter front to back than the FR85? Also does it have to be reclined like the FR85?

I tried to upload a picture but it won't let me for some reason.

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm pretty sure Maestros are pretty good in small cab trucks. I know you didn't ask, but that's all I know. Sorry. :)

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I'm trying to decide between the 2 myself! I think I'm going to check out a Recaro retailer next month to see how I feel about it in person. I love the FN85 that we have now and I will admit I have a hard time leaving my own personal britax bubble. I'm afraid if I buy anything else I'll hate it!

crunchierthanthou

The ProSport isn't as deep as the Frontier in harness mode. Although, you'll have to install with the seatbelt in that vehicle. If it's a position with a lap/shoulder belt, the shoulder belt can interfere with the harness due to the funky seatbelt routing. Also, you have to stop using the tether at 52 lbs, which is... odd.

Have you considered the Evenflo Secure Kid? It's like the Maestro, but with an adjustable headrest and 65 lb harness limit.

luckyclov

Personally, and without vehicle compatibility in question, I prefer the FR85.

It has a longer lifespan (9 years from date of manufacture), it has taller harness top slots (tallest on the market, actually) @ 20", and it converts to the tallest HBB (currently) on the market. It also has better leg support, doesn't require the top tether to be discontinued @ 52 lbs, and there's no potential for any of the installation methods to be an annoyance to the child (the open belt path - exposed seat belt across the lower portion - on the PS drove my DD crazy).

MommyShannon

I haven't tried a prosport but the nautilus installs well in DH's F250. I haven't tried the FR85 in it yet, but the seat is so small I just can't imagine it working well if at all. The nautilus is much more upright and fits perfectly.

Phineasmama

Everyone always says cupholders...seriously it has never been an issue with us with the prosport. It has deep side wings, there is plenty of room for the kid to put a cup on either side of them. Plus there are mesh pockets on the sides you can use for the same purpose.

HaileysMommy

I never understood the cup holder thing either. I want a PS for DD but I haven't tried one out yet. I love the side impact protection in the seat.

lovemy2kidstw

Phineasmama said:
Everyone always says cupholders...seriously it has never been an issue with us with the prosport. It has deep side wings, there is plenty of room for the kid to put a cup on either side of them. Plus there are mesh pockets on the sides you can use for the same purpose.

Cup holders aren't a big deal to me . DD doesn't want to put her cup in them anyway! She. Drinks her cup & either hands it to me or tosses it in the floor.

lovemy2kidstw

crunchierthanthou said:
The ProSport isn't as deep as the Frontier in harness mode. Although, you'll have to install with the seatbelt in that vehicle. If it's a position with a lap/shoulder belt, the shoulder belt can interfere with the harness due to the funky seatbelt routing. Also, you have to stop using the tether at 52 lbs, which is... odd.

Have you considered the Evenflo Secure Kid? It's like the Maestro, but with an adjustable headrest and 65 lb harness limit.

I thought the seatbelt issue was only with the seatbelts that come from way up high? The seatbelts are adjustable in DH's truck &. If needed I could install in the middle with a lap belt.

Does the secure kid turn into a booster? I'm not sure DD will be booster ready when she outgrows it. Seriously the only time she ever sits still is in the car seat because she can't move ;).

lovemy2kidstw

clov878 said:
Personally, and without vehicle compatibility in question, I prefer the FR85.

It has a longer lifespan (9 years from date of manufacture), it has taller harness top slots (tallest on the market, actually) @ 20", and it converts to the tallest HBB (currently) on the market. It also has better leg support, doesn't require the top tether to be discontinued @ 52 lbs, and there's no potential for any of the installation methods to be an annoyance to the child (the open belt path - exposed seat belt across the lower portion - on the PS drove my DD crazy).

Do you happen to know the lifespan on the Prosport? I know, all of what you said is what I'm thinking. I really LOVE the FR85 & I could get a cow one <3. Then DS could use it in my vehicle in a few years .

lovemy2kidstw

I have tried to upload a pic of the FR85 installed in DH's truck but it keeps saying I have exceeded my quota? It hangs over the edge of the seat a good 3 inches is that allowed? It installed really solid with LBP. My only issue is the overhang. The whole recline foot is hanging over plus some.

luckyclov

Recaro has a 6 year from date of manufacture (DOM) lifespan.

You can have 20% overhang on the FR85 but no more. At least 80% of the FR85 bottom must be in contact with the vehicle seat bottom.

I don't know the answer to your picture-posting question. I use a Photobucket account for all of my pictures. Can you make a PB acct?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC