dog restraints

Holly

I've seen these mentioned before. We may be looking into getting a dog. I told dh we could get one sometime this year. He wants one this weekend because we're visiting his family and his police officer brother could get us one from the shelter with no adoption fees and he saw a super cute one there today.

My main concern is getting it home. We live 5 hours away! Do any B and M stores have appropriate dog restraints?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Walmart carries the Petbuckle, although I'd probably crate it so you have a crate to use at home to crate train it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
We use a gate that installs in the back of the SUV, or I attach a leash to a top tether anchor.

Neither of these solutions are super safe for the dog, but my primary concern I have to admit is to keep other passengers safe from the dog. Especially to keep the dog from becoming a distraction to the driver. Since dog restraints aren't actually crash tested and there are no dog-shaped crash test dummies, it's kind of hard to know what the safest solution really is. Probably a crate that is secured down to the cargo ties is the best solution in an SUV.

Actually we rarely transport the dogs in an enclosed car anyway. My husband installed secure tie-down chains that attach to their heavy duty collars for the back of the pickup truck (good for quick trips to the vet or the farm store), and if we're taking a longer trip we'll usually take the dog trailer.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
One of the brands is crash tested and has the videos on their website. I would much prefer those to a leash.

Holly

I texted Judi and KQ, they say Bergen is the best brand. Anyone know if you can get one of those at a B and M store? We dont have room for a crate in the back, we have a bunch of stuff to put there, bags, a cooler, bedding, etc. Petbuckle would be good if Bergen isn't at a B and M store.

Dorothy

Do you mind if I jump in? What are some acceptable anchor points for a Bergan? I've been thinking of getting a one for one of our dogs if all three crates won't fit in the hatch of a Flex with room for luggage. (I haven't had the crates at the dealership yet, so this is just my backup plan.) The dog would have to ride on the floor in between the second row passenger seats. Since she'd be between the kids for 6+ hrs, would you recommend a muzzle? If so, is there a really soft, breathable one you'd recommend? TIA

Sent from my phone using the app :)

Ellie173

I have a Bergan for my 4 year old dog which I love! It is very comfortable for her and she doesn't mind wearing it as a walking harness either. Not sure if you can get it at a store, but I got mine with free 2 day shipping on amazon. So if you are talking about the coming weekend then it could get there on time but might not if you are looking to get the dog this weekend.

I can see if I can find some pics of her with it tethered in. I drive a car so usually it is just attached to the latch anchor or seat belt stalk. We have used the place where people put their rear facing tether (not sure if this is approved but it is a location bolted to the frame).

I don't use a muzzle as she gets car sick and usually has the back seat to herself so not sure about that.

Let me know if you want any pics of it.

Hope that helps some!

keri1292

I have a Petbuckle and hate it, so I'm interested in the Bergan.

Make sure YOU want a dog Holly. Remember it's like having a newborn baby. Though you may get lucky and get an awesome housebroken, well behaved pooch. I want to see a pic of the potential pup. I bet your kids will be sooooo excited. Every kid needs a dog IMNSHO! :love:

bubbaray

With a new dog , possibly one that isn't used to riding in cars and might get car sick, I would really recommend a crate

Holly

It's a cell phone pic and sideways but here it is.

480.jpg

He's 4 months old.

We can go look at him tomorrow, and possibly/probably adopt him.
I have to work tomorrow evening so we have to be back home at a certain time. We have to go to the animal shelter as soon as they open in order to have enough time, so we have to go buy dog supplies before we go get him.
They open at 10, so we need to shop before then, so Walmart it is. We can't get a crate at the moment, so we'll probably have to get the petbuckle for now.

christineka

I would highly suggest getting the crate and fitting it somehow. Animals often have issues in vehicles, especially when they aren't used to riding in them. Are you prepared to clean up various canine bodily fluids from your vehicle? Also, would the dog be riding near the kids? I would hate to have an unfamiliar dog next to my kids for a long drive.

tam_shops

Congratulations!

There was a big long thread about them w/ pictures awhile back. I didn't think any of them were safe/passed any kind of testing.

The suggested way was to put the animal in a cage, on the floor behind your seat.

I'd always buckled the cage in and them jammed the front passenger seat into it. I was surprised to see that in crash pics the handle had torn off and I assume the cage still went flying. Not sure what'd have happened in my case b/c I always pushed the seat into it. Though, not sure a dog cage would fit on the floor, know my cat's cage wouldn't have...

We had one of these, our WM carries them in different sizes, if you're going anyway, I'd check. Then you have one...Ours was travel safe, so if that's an option, could save you buying another one day...

Best of luck!

tam

Holly

christineka said:
I would highly suggest getting the crate and fitting it somehow. Animals often have issues in vehicles, especially when they aren't used to riding in them. Are you prepared to clean up various canine bodily fluids from your vehicle? Also, would the dog be riding near the kids? I would hate to have an unfamiliar dog next to my kids for a long drive.

Bil told us that dog crates are around $80, we can't do that at the moment. We are going to try to find one used for cheaper asap though.

crunchierthanthou

Bil told us that dog crates are around $80, we can't do that at the moment. We are going to try to find one used for cheaper asap though.

can you find one on CL?

Maybe you're better off waiting until you get home. You'll have to pay adoption fees, but you'll be able to get the proper gear to transport a pet. Not to mention, not have to drive 5 hours with an unknown animal.

abreuer88

If its just for a pup, you could get a smaller crate which shouldn't be that much. I think I got a crate from Walmart for our golden retriever for around 50$ and he still fits in it (70lbs) so for a pup you could probably do one for half that?

abreuer88

Hi!
If the crate is just for a pup you could get a smaller one. I got ours from Walmart in Canada for about 50$ and it still fits our 70lb golden retriever. A smaller one should run cheaper than that!

Holly

crunchierthanthou said:
can you find one on CL?

Maybe you're better off waiting until you get home. You'll have to pay adoption fees, but you'll be able to get the proper gear to transport a pet. Not to mention, not have to drive 5 hours with an unknown animal.

Dh saw one on ksl for $30. We're going to check Walmart tomorrow, they may be cheaper than Bil says.

emandbri

There were tons of dog crates on craigslist when I looked. Honestly though if you can't afford the $80 for a crate I'd wait on a dog. We got our dog from a rescue group and he cost us over $600 in the first month, granted $200 of that was going under to be shaved but he also had worms, needed special food, ear infections, etc.

He needs a crate anyway so he won't get into things at night or if you are away and would help with housebreaking. If he was housebroken before he might have to be retrained after being at the pound.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC