Question Height limit on a maxi-cosi citi infant seat?

U

Unregistered

Hi,

My daughter is just turning 1 year old, and is still less than 9 kilos. At about 6 months we switched her from her maxi cosi infant seat to a rear-facing convertible Evenflo Symphany 65. The Symphany is borrowed from family who moved abroad and didn't need it.

Now our family is coming in for a visit and wants to use their Evenflo for the three weeks they'll be in town. My question is, is it safe to put my 12 month old daughter back into the infant seat for that time frame. She is well under the infant seat's 13 kilo weight limit, but

her head is only about 1 inch from the top of the plastic shell.

I thought that you need at least two inches to be safe. The faq on the maxi cosi citi site says "As long as the back of your child's head is fully supported by the plastic shell, we recommend using the infant car seat."

What would you do? Is the smaller seat safe to use, seeing as she is still within manufacturer guidelines? I don't have a lot of options here- the only seats we could borrow are either forward facing (not an option, as I see it) or have been questionably stored. I can't really afford to buy a new seat, and there aren't any tenable rental options here.

ADS

finn

I asked a similar question about my cabrio fix recently & the answer was it's ok to use until the babies head is inline with the top of the shell or they have reached the weight limit, so i would use it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

U

Unregistered

infant "bucket" height limit?

My daughter is just turning 1 year in a few weeks and weighs under 9 kilos/20lbs. At 6 months we moved her into an Evenflo Symphony 65 all-in-one that we generally like very much.

The thing is, the Evenflo is borrowed from family who live abroad and only need it when they fly in once a year. They're coming back fo a visit and want their seat for the next three weeks.
So my question is, is it safe to put dd back into her (European model) Maxi Cosi Citi infant seat for that time? She is way under the 13 kilo weight limit, but her head is only about an inch below the top of the car seat back. I've ALWAYS heard that the head needs to be AT LEAST 2 inches from the top of the seat, but the maxi cosi website seems to say that only 1 inch below is fine. Their faq page says:

"As long as the back of your child's head is fully supported by the plastic shell, we recommend using the infant car seat. "

Our Citi has what I've been told is "European" shoulder belt routing around the back of the seat, and does not have any LATCH type connectors. Also, they rate the Citi as a 0-13 month seat, and dd will be exactly 12 months when using it.

What would you do? Does this seem safe to you? I really can't afford to buy a new seat, especially since I'll only need it for 3 weeks. And I don't have an options to borrow or rent one here- every other seat I have access to is ff, and/or more then 10 years old.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi, I merged your two nearly duplicate posts together into a single thread in our more suitable International section of the forum because cross posting isn't allowed here, and you have already received a helpful reply to your earlier post. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC