is there any official opinion on cloth diapers and car seats?

V

VanIsleMommy

I used cloth diapers with my first for 3 years, I was a little concerned with fluffy bum and harness fit but never found an official opinion from a tech or manufacturer etc.

now with my second I tested how much slack it actually requires and have decided it's too much, so I use sposies for car trips. is there any official stance though? or any advice from cloth diaperers?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Diapers are diapers. Cloth can be bulky, yes, but it's not puffy fluffy material; it's compressed bulk. In a crash, it's not going to compress any further.

zactayaus

Diapers are diapers. Cloth can be bulky, yes, but it's not puffy fluffy material; it's compressed bulk. In a crash, it's not going to compress any further.

:yeahthat:

I have no qualms what so ever about using cloth on my ds in the car.:)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
:yeahthat:

I have no qualms what so ever about using cloth on my ds in the car.:)

Me either. It's dense, compact, and won't compress further. If you were diapering using a big, fluffy down jacket-inspired diaper then that would be a concern!

When I do a check with parents-to-be that's something I ask - cloth or disposable? And then discuss the potential need for a crotch roll, emphasizing it's likelihood if the parents are using disposables.

christineka

It's not a problem. I do have to tighten up the harness when baby is wearing sposies, but because the diaper isn't compressable, it's fine to be in the seat with it. I've also been told that wearing a thick (not compressable) sweater under the harness is fine too.

mommyfrog

I used cloth diapers and never thought twice about it. I also don't have any problems putting a dense jacket on my kids, even if I have to loosen the harness to do so. It isn't going to compress anymore, so won't cause extra slack in the harness. I can see not putting puffy coats/jackets on that mask the fact that the harness isn't tight, but sometimes I think people go overboard with it.:eek:

V

VanIsleMommy

thanks!!! I know this is going to be a question that comes up at the baby fair booth next weekend so I wanted to have a good response :)

my baby's diapers are pretty fluffy right now, but I think it's because she's so tiny still. she's wearing an all in one that is a little poofy.:p

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It doesn't bother me. It's not between the child and the shoulder straps. Baby is sitting on it. It's not any different from rolling a cloth up and filling the gap for the crotch buckle. Even if the diaper can compress I don't think it really matters because the crash forces aren't going to be on the diaper in such a way that it would cause a problem. The diaper doesn't re-route the straps like a bundle-me can, and it doesn't come between the baby and the harness like a fluffy coat does.

Car seat makers had better be making car seats so they are safe to use with diapers. I mean, duh.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The diaper is under the child. Even if it's going to compress, the force to do so would only occur if the car crashes up, which would probably happen only in the event of a very fast alien abduction, in which case you have other things to worry about.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC