News not perfect but better

cmcki737

The consignment sale I worked at today actually checked ALL products including strollers and car seats for recalls and ALL car seat for expiration date. Since they did not know the dates we used the car-seat.org app on my andriod :)

sent from my SPH-M580 using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
MUCH better than nothing!

I don't advocate used seats from strangers of course, but my son's life was saved in a yard sale infant seat. For some families, whether it's the reality or not, they think it's the best they can do. In my area our SK coalition doesn't pass out free seats and even Sceneras are $35 for the "low cost" seats available. There are a few opportunities for free infant seats, but they're hard to dig up the information for (believe me, I tried several times before I became a tech and got "connected" to find out where this stuff is).

I would rather see a kid in an unexpired, not recalled car seat from a consignment sale than some of the other options (laps, expired or broken seats, etc.).

cmcki737

Brigala said:
MUCH better than nothing!

I don't advocate used seats from strangers of course, but my son's life was saved in a yard sale infant seat. For some families, whether it's the reality or not, they think it's the best they can do. In my area our SK coalition doesn't pass out free seats and even Sceneras are $35 for the "low cost" seats available. There are a few opportunities for free infant seats, but they're hard to dig up the information for (believe me, I tried several times before I became a tech and got "connected" to find out where this stuff is).

I would rather see a kid in an unexpired, not recalled car seat from a consignment sale than some of the other options (laps, expired or broken seats, etc.).

I tried to push the idea of not selling car seats because then you avoid the issue entirely but no one really liked it. At least they had the sellers sign a paper allowing us to destroy any safety devices that are recalled, expired or other wise found to be defective or unsafe for use. I got to cut the straps on like 10 expired infant buckets :)

jess71903

Ambassador
I just took a new job at a large therapy clinic. I share a small room, usually with 2 other therapists. One of the 2 I work the most with is big with our local consignment sale. I mentioned the other day that I'm a tech, actually to mention CSO and lorismurph's car seat busy book that I have, which would be great to use in our therapy sessions. Anyway, the conversation went the way of car seat use and misuse, and the other therapist in the room asked if I would look at her grandson's seat. She got it at this consignment sale and she said "something just doesn't seem right." We walked out to her car and what we had was a Cosco Combo that had been converted to a 3-pt harness, and also had "ACH Not for Sale" written in marker on the side.

So we went back in talking about it, with the consignment sale girl. She asked me to volunteer at the sales so I could check these seats because I would have noticed that right off, but their usual volunteers would not. They don't take seats over 5 years old, and the seller has to sign a waiver saying the seat's never been crashed, but there is so much more! I told her I'm not sure I would feel right as a CPST, because I have to teach that you aren't supposed to buy used seats with unknown histories at all, but that maybe I could at least give them a more extensive check list that each seat has to have pinned to it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC