The upright Radian install trick

Aurezalia

Allana just had this to say about it:
"I think I have seen on this page [FB car seat group] the mention of installing the Radian with the feet of the detachable base just outside of the seat bite. After a lengthy discussion with our engineer today, this is not a good idea. The feet actually help transfer some loads with it in the seat bite. Always install the seat with the feet wedged into the seat bite."

So, there's that. I wanted to spread the word. With the introduction of the angle adjuster I don't think it's a big deal that we won't be able to do the pull-feet-out-of-the-bite trick anymore, the angle adjuster can pretty much replace that. So, keep the base in your bite, folks!

ADS

mamakc

What if the bight is about an inch or two above the seat bottom? Does that description make sense? Lol

Syllieann

I think some of the super latch issue where people said it was loosening on its own (w/out kid kicking it) had a lot to do with this installation method. I have always had a bad feeling about what happens to the boot as the seat rotates if it's not in the bight. Glad to see it will be done away with.

msg221

That trick never worked in my vehicle anyway. Eventually, the seat/RF boot would slip back down into the seat bight anyway as I was trying to tighten the seat belt. Thank goodness for the AA!

Ladyl

Very good to know! I always installed it with the foot out side of the bight in my Civic. I'm a little afraid this going to ruin my awesome install with the AA :(.

crunchierthanthou

That trick never worked in my vehicle anyway. Eventually, the seat/RF boot would slip back down into the seat bight anyway as I was trying to tighten the seat belt. Thank goodness for the AA!

Yeah, that trick didn't work on Radians anyway. They'd usually slide back toward the bight and loosen the install.

Pixels

Yes, in vehicles with the bight a couple inches above the seat bottom, you put the feet in the bight, a couple inches up.

And in a few vehicles there is no bight, there are cutouts for access to the LATCH anchors only but fabric goes from the top of the seat back all the way down to the front edge of the seat. Allana has confirmed that those vehicles are incompatible with the Radian because there is no bight for the boot to go into.

canadiangie

I've been butting the AA up against the feet of the recline block per the diagram on the AA instruction sheet. Is this not necessary?

If the feet of the recline block are buried in the seat crease do I slide the AA up to the crease? If so, do the LATCH connectors go overtop of the AA? The width of the AA exceeds 11" -- or comes close to it.

I worked in an 01 Civic today with a seat crease so gaping, I could have crawled into it. Allowing the recline feet to slide in produced a recline angle exceeding 60 degrees from vertical, with recline feet completely buried. Adding an AA at that point would have been wrong, and a proper install not possible.

NannyMom

But what about the funky bights? The Sienna has one, right? Do they want the feet picked up, over the bump in the bight?

On the Sienna note.... I like to use the old boot when installing outboard 2nd row because it's wider so the boot is stuck in front of (more towards the front of the vehicle seat). With the new boot, it was narrow enough to go between the latches. So I was essentially doing the "trick" without actually doing it, KWIM? So, is that no linger allowed?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
On the Sienna note.... I like to use the old boot when installing outboard 2nd row because it's wider so the boot is stuck in front of (more towards the front of the vehicle seat). With the new boot, it was narrow enough to go between the latches. So I was essentially doing the "trick" without actually doing it, KWIM? So, is that no linger allowed?

That is what it sounds like. The Foonf is looking better and better every day. Radian 1 of 4 is being sold this month.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
would that be the purple rxt?

Nope. ;)

Ok, so Diono, let me get this straight. To get a NORMAL upright install, I may have to buy an extra piece, since I can't pull it out of the bight. Said ADDED product will compress easily and leave marks on my leather seat. Wow, ok. :rolleyes:

NannyMom

That is what it sounds like. The Foonf is looking better and better every day. Radian 1 of 4 is being sold this month.

So if I had a Radian that came with the old boot, it would now be incompatible in the entire 2nd row of my van because I couldn't put it in the bight? I'd have to buy a new boot AND an angle adjuster?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Add my Radian to the 'get rid of ASAP' list as well. Apparently it is incompatible with my car anyway. :rolleyes:

crunchierthanthou

Seriously, where is this coming from? Not the manual, that's for dang sure. Dear Diono, the vehicle used in your manuals is apparently incompatible with your seats. XOXOXO

I can see saying that the front of the Radian has to be against the seat back (which IS stated in the manual), but the feet have to be in the bight? Or, "bite" is that like "tongs"?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC