Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

The upright Radian install trick

Allana just had this to say about it:
    "I think I have seen on this page [FB car seat group] the mention of installing the Radian with the feet of the detachable base just outside of the seat bite. After a lengthy discussion with our engineer today, this is not a good idea. The feet actually help transfer some loads with it in the seat bite. Always install the seat with the feet wedged into the seat bite."
    So, there's that. I wanted to spread the word. With the introduction of the angle adjuster I don't think it's a big deal that we won't be able to do the pull-feet-out-of-the-bite trick anymore, the angle adjuster can pretty much replace that. So, keep the base in your bite, folks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

What if the bight is about an inch or two above the seat bottom? Does that description make sense? Lol

Re: The upright Radian install trick

So, when I use the Angle Adjuster it pulls the feet out of the seat bight. What then?
    Heather car seat geek since the early 80's & WAHM
    DD1, 17, adult SB, DD2, 15, adult SB, DD3, 13 Adult Seatbelt DD4,9, 5 steppingDS1, 9,5 stepping, DS2, 5, Harmony Defender in booster mode all in our 2009 Suburban!!!

Carseat Crazy

I think some of the super latch issue where people said it was loosening on its own (w/out kid kicking it) had a lot to do with this installation method. I have always had a bad feeling about what happens to the boot as the seat rotates if it's not in the bight. Glad to see it will be done away with.

That trick never worked in my vehicle anyway. Eventually, the seat/RF boot would slip back down into the seat bight anyway as I was trying to tighten the seat belt. Thank goodness for the AA!

Marsha, Godmother to Nour & Zain (8) and grandparent (aka "Nanny Marsha") to Ethan (8), Katelyn & Owen (7), and Chase, (6)

Very good to know! I always installed it with the foot out side of the bight in my Civic. I'm a little afraid this going to ruin my awesome install with the AA .
    Lillian, Mama to Explorers:
    Owen 9/06 Boostered in Turbos and a Parkway SG Booster
    Teddy 12/08 FFing in TrueFit and waiting for a new seat!

They told me the same thing awhile back. That's the only way I can get the radian installed in my car.

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msg221 View Post
    That trick never worked in my vehicle anyway. Eventually, the seat/RF boot would slip back down into the seat bight anyway as I was trying to tighten the seat belt. Thank goodness for the AA!
    Yeah, that trick didn't work on Radians anyway. They'd usually slide back toward the bight and loosen the install.

But what about the funky bights? The Sienna has one, right? Do they want the feet picked up, over the bump in the bight?

Yes, in vehicles with the bight a couple inches above the seat bottom, you put the feet in the bight, a couple inches up.

And in a few vehicles there is no bight, there are cutouts for access to the LATCH anchors only but fabric goes from the top of the seat back all the way down to the front edge of the seat. Allana has confirmed that those vehicles are incompatible with the Radian because there is no bight for the boot to go into.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

I've been butting the AA up against the feet of the recline block per the diagram on the AA instruction sheet. Is this not necessary?

If the feet of the recline block are buried in the seat crease do I slide the AA up to the crease? If so, do the LATCH connectors go overtop of the AA? The width of the AA exceeds 11" -- or comes close to it.

I worked in an 01 Civic today with a seat crease so gaping, I could have crawled into it. Allowing the recline feet to slide in produced a recline angle exceeding 60 degrees from vertical, with recline feet completely buried. Adding an AA at that point would have been wrong, and a proper install not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    But what about the funky bights? The Sienna has one, right? Do they want the feet picked up, over the bump in the bight?
    On the Sienna note.... I like to use the old boot when installing outboard 2nd row because it's wider so the boot is stuck in front of (more towards the front of the vehicle seat). With the new boot, it was narrow enough to go between the latches. So I was essentially doing the "trick" without actually doing it, KWIM? So, is that no linger allowed?
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

How about a normal base/bottom like every other car seat out there?
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

Why have I never heard this? Wow.
    -Alicia, CPST, RN!-
    Lady to the Mister, mama to my little Shrimptastic birthday present, Liam (7/29/10), and my v2.0, Declan (9/14/13). Rockin' a Nextfit, BeLogic, and Aton2.

http://ashortstorymadelong.blogspot.com

16. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by NannyMom View Post
    On the Sienna note.... I like to use the old boot when installing outboard 2nd row because it's wider so the boot is stuck in front of (more towards the front of the vehicle seat). With the new boot, it was narrow enough to go between the latches. So I was essentially doing the "trick" without actually doing it, KWIM? So, is that no linger allowed?
    That is what it sounds like. The Foonf is looking better and better every day. Radian 1 of 4 is being sold this month.

That is what it sounds like. The Foonf is looking better and better every day. Radian 1 of 4 is being sold this month.
    would that be the purple rxt?
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus

Quote Originally Posted by NannyMom View Post
    would that be the purple rxt?
    Nope.

Ok, so Diono, let me get this straight. To get a NORMAL upright install, I may have to buy an extra piece, since I can't pull it out of the bight. Said ADDED product will compress easily and leave marks on my leather seat. Wow, ok.

So if I had a Radian that came with the old boot, it would now be incompatible in the entire 2nd row of my van because I couldn't put it in the bight? I'd have to buy a new boot AND an angle adjuster?

Add my Radian to the 'get rid of ASAP' list as well. Apparently it is incompatible with my car anyway.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar
    Seriously, where is this coming from? Not the manual, that's for dang sure. Dear Diono, the vehicle used in your manuals is apparently incompatible with your seats. XOXOXO

I can see saying that the front of the Radian has to be against the seat back (which IS stated in the manual), but the feet have to be in the bight? Or, "bite" is that like "tongs"?