Interstate bridge collapse in Minneapolis

ADS

crunchierthanthou

moderators: I could have sworn I was in coffee break. please move this if you feel it should be. I guess my addiction is showing because I had more than one tab open. :eek:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Isn't this absolutely horrible?

I can't believe this happened. I really hope all the people in the cars that fell into the river were able to escape their vehicles unharmed.

lovinwaves

I'm sure there will be more deaths to report. They are saying maybe 50-100 cars on the bridge at the time of the collapse. I also heard a report of possibly 50 cars seen in the water.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
:eek: Now I am going to be nervous when I go over a bridge :(

We are going to Minneapolis on friday!

trailrunnermom

My husband left for Minneapolis yesterday on business. I called him when I saw this; fortunately he answered his cell phone (and my heartrate went back down). He hadn't heard about the bridge yet.

I hope that the casualties are low; I feel for everyone who might be worried that someone they know could be affected.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Bridges over water absolutely freak me out, I can not stand them. Seeing this on the news, was devastating. DH, who was also watching tv cross the room, but who normally totally tunes out commercials, even noticed it and immediately was like "don't freak out" of course I was already hyperventilating....ugh....as dh said, that's totally my "worst nightmare". ugh

all together ooky

It's on our local news (Twin Cities). Tragic. Really scary. Yes there are many injured, one drowning, and more we probably haven't learned about yet. Emergency crews are coming in from all over. I was interviewing a midwife (at my house) when her mom called twice so she answered. Her mom wanted to know if she was alright.

Not only is this horrible for the families involved, but it's a MAJOR thoroughfare and I can't imagine rush hour tomorrow or in the days to come.

MommyofBoogieBear

as of now...8:30 pm 6 deaths are confirmed. God had His hand on that school bus...so close to going in the water. What a horrible tragedy. I just called my cousin who lives there..and they are fine. I can't get a hold of some friends that were in Minneapolis today yet.

My thoughts go toward what would happen if a mother of two or three small children in seats where in this situation. How could one swim...and save all three of their children at the same time? horrible thought...I know...but since i became a mom...horrifying thoughts like that enter! argh.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My thoughts go toward what would happen if a mother of two or three small children in seats where in this situation. How could one swim...and save all three of their children at the same time? horrible thought...I know...but since i became a mom...horrifying thoughts like that enter! argh.

I was thinking the same thing earlier.

OMG.

kphil

This scenario has been a recurring source of panic for me ever since I had children. We live in an area with many bridges that cross water. I had it all figured out how I would go about it with one child, then my second was born and that panicked me. Once my oldest could swim, I had an escape plan worked out that at least made me feel like I could stop worrying about it. Since I had my third though, I just can't think about it. It's too horrible. It's weird, because I have several friends who I found out obsess over the same scenario, also just since having kids. Ugh, yuck.

That was my first thought with this tragedy also. I'm praying.

Kirsten

ignora

Senior Community Member
That's terrible!! I totally think about that kind of stuff, too, since having Sidney.

We had something like that happen yesterday north of where I am... though, it was an overpass, not a bridge. Only one person was seriously injured, thank goodness.

But, what's with all the collapsing? Makes me not want to even drive... almost....

MommyofBoogieBear

that's interesting that i am not the only one with these fears. Just recently i had to fly with my youngest as a lap baby. I was petrified. almost didn't go... but to make a long story really short...i had to go. I have traveled like that before...but once i found this forum..and learned so much, i was almost in a panic inside. So my husband had to remind me that she was in God's hands...and that I had to try to let that fear go. I know that God doesn't want us to live in fear. and fear can be gripping. (sp?). paralyzing really...the thoughts that can go through a mother's head. and so, it helps me to get those fears under control (but the thoughts come..I just try hard not to linger on them and I pray that the Lord takes those thoughts away) to realize that our precious babies are in someone's hands much bigger than ours....and much more powerful than ours. anyway...for what it's worth.

MommyofBoogieBear

i want to qualify something here. i was just reading some other posts...and I want to be clear. We were also given brains...by God...to do the best for our kids. Like make sure they are in carseats...and that we use all the great tools we have been given to make sure they have the safest, healthiest lives we can give them. We don't put them in harms way...etc... But when it is all said and done...there are just some things out of our control. Like a bridge collapsing out of no where. If i could have flown with my DD in a carseat would i have? (i carried it with me...just in case there was an empty flight on the next leg...and there was...and she was in her seat! and i was one relieved mama). of course. her ticket would have cost over a thousand dollars...and we couldn't. so i just don't want to be misunderstood. that is why i am writing this part as a follow up.

A friend on another board decided to take the last exit before the bridge, due to the traffic, about 15-20 minutes prior to the collapse earlier this evening. :eek: Guardian Angels were working overtime for sure with that school bus, too.

My prayers go out to all those in the Minn/Twin Cities area and everyone else affected by this horrific tragedy... :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC