3-year-old killed, was in booster, Florida

ADS

MorgieBear'sMama

:crying:

I couldn't imaging.

Ashley- Mom to Morgan 2/25/04 riding in SK Monterey and Cleck Olli, Jackson and Colton 11/1/10 riding in Diono R120's and Recaro ProRIDE's

Ninetales

So sad. It ticks me off, though, that their proposed solution is to check on the kids more. As opposed to harness seats that they can't unbuckle.

Baylor

I shared this on my Facebook. People need to know that boosters are not for toddlers.

auto correct hates me

msg221

I also posted this on my FB. I know that Nour & Zain are each driven home from pre-school by another mom and I have no idea what they are riding in, and I almost don't want to know. I haven't asked, because I'm afraid of the answer. If they are riding in boosters, I hope their mom reads the article and that it will make her reconsider.

Little Ps Mama

So sad. :( I have several friends with 3 year olds in boosters. I shared on my FB but I think my car seat posts are widely ignored. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

alake

This is why my girl's are still 95% of the time still harnessed. We had a case of motion sickness, earlier last week, and I took Summer's seat out of my truck and put her HBB in. I have been really tired lately and we went back to Canada for a few days, so needless to say the cover is washed, and the seat is still sitting in the garage waiting to be put back together. Summer is now starting to ask to booster full time, and I am ok with this, but am thinking it will be easier with three across for her to be harnessed still, we are going to discuss this. I may end up selling the two seats I have for my truck, put the FR 85 from DH's truck that is Sum's into mine, for Leah to use and purchase her two booster seats for both trucks. To many decisions, and I am not certain which I would get her.

MommyShannon

My 6 year old unbuckled the seatbelt securing her FR85 yesterday. I'm hoping it was while getting out when we got home, but don't know for sure. She just went back to the harness from being boostered so she got confused I'm sure. I heavily stressed why it's so important to tell me if she ever does that again! It's definitely easier for them to unknowingly unbuckle a booster, but this accident could have happened in a harness too since lots of 3 year olds undo those too. Very scary.

christineka

Having hung out on this board and the bbc car seat board, and done cpst talking to regular people kinda stuff, these 2-4 years olds who unbuckle, do so in 5 point harnesses as well. Sure, it's harder to do, but many kids still get out. I don't believe 3 year olds should be in boosters, either, but the problem isn't isolated to 3 year olds in boosters. Some kids are just escape artists. I'm fortunate, that I've turned my kids into car seat geeks. The other day, my 5 year old accidentally unbuckled his crotch strap (which means he can do it) and started crying and yelling because he knew he wasn't safe.

cookie123

I shared this on my Facebook. People need to know that boosters are not for toddlers.

auto correct hates me[/QUOTE

Three year olds are technically preschoolers.:)

So sad. :( I have several friends with 3 year olds in boosters. I shared on my FB but I think my car seat posts are widely ignored. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

My car seat posts are also ignored. We try, though, right?

A friend just recently told me about a 2 and 3 year old in a Florida accident. The harnessed one had facial scratches 'from the crotch buckle' and the boostered one is likely going to die, if hasn't already. :(

noahsmom24

Wow :( Either way whether this child could unbuckle in a harness or not This is sad and she shouldn't have been in a Booster, which in itself is a little easier to unbuckle.
I've turned ds into a car seat geek as well, we can't even sit in the car just to sit with him unbuckled. He loves his seat, when he got his new FR85 he was telling everyone about his new car seat.

tam_shops

So sad...

If a 2yo can unbuckle themselves, i'd say the car seat buckles need re-designing-or something!?

Might even say that until 3yo, but at some point between 3-4yo, they should have sufficient brain development that they just know better and/or it's a parenting/discipline issue...

This just shouldn't happen...

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC