My neighbor asked to borrow my carseats

Tiffanie

She comes over in a panic, she needs to go pick up her granddaughters from daycare because their mom is stuck in major traffic due to an accident and the place closes at 6pm (it was 5:15 at the time). She said she just needed one, so I pointed to my spare Scenara which happened to be sitting on my porch. She responded with: "But it needs to have that thing that goes over their heads" (meaning the OHS) I told her no, this will be ok (thinking she was just picking up 1 granddaughter at this point, not the other). Apparently her daughter is using seats that were passed down to her that are about 10+ years old :eek: I tried to explain that these things do expire but it was like talking to a wall.

She was going to put the 1 year old in the Scenara and just strap the 5 year old in the seat without anything :eek: The 5 year old is half the size of my 5 year old!!! She's barely even 30 lbs and is about the same height as her 1 year old sister! :eek:

Fortunately she didn't end up going to pick the girls up, their mother made it there in time. I wish I could get it through to some of these people I live by that they have to take their kids' safety much more to heart :(

ADS

jn__

I can just see myself going next door and demanding to borrow some c ar seat... and then crying "NOOOO they have to be britax!" :)

It's amazing how uneducated MOST people seem to be :( At least she knew she needed seats... my own mother thinks I'm being unreasonable because I wouldn't let her take the kids back home to her house in my lap once when we got stuck 6 miles away with a flat tire.

Tiffanie

Wow, that's either a dwarf Five year old, or a freakishly tall 1 year old.... :confused:

The 5 year old is very tiny, she has down syndrome but it really affected her height. She's adorable but would definitely never be able to use a booster let alone just be tossed in the back seat with nothing. :thumbsdown:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Are you sure it's Downs? My niece has the appearance of & similar symptoms of a child with Downs, but actually has a growth hormone deficiency -- she's 5 & also the same size as her 2 year old sister, if not slightly smaller....

Tiffanie

Are you sure it's Downs? My niece has the appearance of & similar symptoms of a child with Downs, but actually has a growth hormone deficiency -- she's 5 & also the same size as her 2 year old sister, if not slightly smaller....

I've talked to the mom and it is Downs. She's an adorable little thing :) SHe is super tiny though, always has been. I think she was only around 16" at birth, or 17" I forget what she told me. I always thought she was younger than my DS, not older.

jdchic3

Right now I am borrowing a friend's seat because my husband broke our decathlon. Our new seat comes on Tuesday (FINALLY!) but I haven't been going anywhere because of the crappy seat we are borrowing. I so do not get people and how they don't research what's safe for their children!

The seat we are borrowing is an OHS and is about 7 years old! The one we are borrowing is their spare but have the same exact seat in their car that they use for their 37 lb four-year-old. I can only imagine that she is too tall for it too because DD is 2 and probably 5 inches shorter and is barely short enough for the second to top slots!

They were talking to me when we came to borrow it about how she's almost big enough for a belt-positioning-booster. GAH! I wanted to tell her what I think about their seat now and what I think about their daughter being in that seat! I just wanted to scream PUT HER IN A REGENT!! Their son who is seven-and-a-half is probably small enough to be in one too. PEOPLE!! DO YOUR RESEARCH! :hitselfonhead:

Last edited:

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Oh, I saw an 8yo come into a check in an OHS carseat. Her dad thought he was doing the safest thing possible by keeping her in a carseat. She was over 50lbs and I can't remember how tall (it wasn't in my station) but her whole head was out of the shell of the seat.

She did a happy dance to move into a highback booster. If only all 8yo's were so happy when they came into our check stations and we put them into a booster.

The dad told us that he had another one just like it at home in her mom's car. He went home and got it and brought it back to us too. She had been riding in the same seats since she was a year old.

bethng

Better than a complete stranger asking, lol........:eek:

Wanted for a few days, Car seat, stroller

Reply to: sale-387627164@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-08-02, 11:06AM CDT

I need a Car seat, stroller for a few days. Aug 8-11.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 387627164

oh nice! thats even worse then my SIL telling me I should leave my dc's at home on our trip and just rent one of the carseats that Avis has for $10 a day! I told her exactly why I would never consider that. Hopefully she learned a thing or two.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC