Not using the top tether on the Radian

msg221

I now know that the RN has been tested without using the top tether so while it's still preferred to use the top tether (this if for FF), it is also okay not to. Right now, with the 3 across I have in my vehicle, it's easier to put the TB outboard and the RN in the center, as it makes buckling the TB much, much easier. But I still feel uncomfortable not having the RN tethered (there is no tether anchor behind the center seating position). I'm wondering if I should just put the TB back in the center and suck it up about it being more difficult to buckle there.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Honestly, I would probably go with the Turbo outboard if that works better for you. It's really a parental decision. Technically speaking, yes, it would be better to put the Radian where you could tether it. But you have to be able to use all your seats correctly every time, and if it's enough of a PITA it can lead to you (well probably not you, but maybe others using your car) to get lazy about checking all the buckles and straps and making sure everyone is in correctly all the time.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Tethers are rarely recquired (isn't the FR85 the only one or did I make that up?). I don't have TAs and feel my RXT is perfectly fine without it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
All seats are tested without tethers. But, IMO, given what we know about tethering (and since increasing tether usage is supposed to be a major focus of CPS techs) it's irresponsible not to use TAs except when there's no way around it.

Why can't the RN be tethered in the center?

msg221

All seats are tested without tethers. But, IMO, given what we know about tethering (and since increasing tether usage is supposed to be a major focus of CPS techs) it's irresponsible not to use TAs except when there's no way around it.

Why can't the RN be tethered in the center?

There is no tether anchor for the center position, just the two outboard positions.

Could the LO in the Radian be RF?

Well, when I have three kids in the car (Nour, Zain, and their cousin, Ziad), Zain was going to be in the RN. He will fit, but I am pretty sure he will pitch a fit about having to RF again. If I put Nour in the RN, then Zain would have to sit in her girly Argos, which also would result in a fit, I am sure. I don't think the FR85 will fit trying to do a 3 across in my vehicle, otherwise I'd use that instead of the Argos.

Is the Evenflo Amp or Big Kid as narrow as a TB? I saw one at Target today and it looked like the arm rests sit higher, so I was thinking if I had that in the center, it might be easier to buckle. But I think it will only work if it is as narrow as the TB.

mommyfrog

The child in the TB will have the same possibility of head excursion as the child in an untethered Radian, since the TB is also untethered.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC