off topic. adaptive stroller/wheelchair

a09

Does anyone have one they love? We are looking for a three year old with low tone. Any recommendations? I like yhe snug seat stingray and how she can face us. It also comes with a canopy, rain cover, and footmuff which is very nice. We were also considering the cuddlebug. It seems to be very compact for travel, very comfortable, and seems to fit most children well.
Thanks in advance.

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
2 of my friends with special needs had the Sunshine Medical Kid Kart.

It worked well for both families and their girls who needed many of the additional straps and supports. Both girls are tiny, so they used it from age 2 until at least 5-6.

Fits in the trunk (even a Civic), has an "indoor" base as well as a stroller base, room on the bottom for "stuff."

I'd recommend getting the "transport" option so the chair can be used on the school bus. Even if you don't plan to use it, it's better to have it and not need it than want/need it for even occasional school use - think field trip if not daily transport. [It's not the 1st choice, but for kids who are non ambulatory, it's often the only choice once they reach 30-35 pounds. That is the weight limit for a "1 person lift" in my school district, and they will no longer shift in/out of their stroller or w/c into a SN seat. Liability.]

One of the girls now has this: http://www.wike.ca/special_needs_large_bicycle_trailer.php

Great bike trailer and a VERY nice stroller for a big kid (12 yrs, 75 ish pounds) who needs support.

cmm7

Kiddo I work with has the Convaid Cruiser with the transport option. She has a bunch of extra add ons as she needed more support. I was concerned at first about the lack of recline or tilt, but with the headrest and added straps she even sleeps in it just fine. The family went with this one as they have a small sedan and could not afford a new vehicle. It folds super small and fits in my trunk (Chevy Cavalier) with plenty of room to spare.

a09

Thanks. I will have to look into this one. I actually had ran into this one anywhere before you mentioned it.
The bike trailer looks GREAT. We may have to look into that later this year!! Maybe a birthday gift to myself.

a09

This is one of the chairs we asked to be brought out as a demo. We were thinking it might be a good travel option but we were nervous about no having the option to let her lay down. It's good to know the kiddo you know is still able to sleep comfortably in it.

We have a Thomashilfen Thevo-Twist stroller for our yds and love it. I like that it reclines and has a tilt-in-space mechanism. It came with a basket but we had to buy the canopy separately. We got it with the transport option just in case we ever need it. Yds has never complained about having to ride in his stroller so it must be comfortable as he is one to complain and head bang if he is not comfortable.

http://www.medicaleshop.com/thomashilfen-thevotwist-pediatric-stroller.html

flipper68

Senior Community Member

One of my friends mentioned above tested the same or similar Thomashilfen chair (they had 2 sizes) when she was outgrowing her KidKart. We liked that it was lightweight, manuveured well and supported her well. BUT, the seat had a spikey piece as the attachment to the base. It "christened" the bumper of my brand new car with a nice deep scratch and removed a chunk of both of her parents' and mine shins. I'm sure it's because we were accustomed to the KidKart and it might have been modified in recent design changes, but it was an major negative for us.

emma33021

We have the snug seat for DD, she is 3.5. I like it, but it's a bit too bulky to put in and out of our Honda Odyssey (we don't have a wheelchair adapted van). She seems to like it too, it has recline and tilt in space and other extras.

I hve heard great things about convaids, especially being lighter weight, so u might want to explore that option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC