Neat rear facing picture

Malka

I don't have any info about this picture, but it came up in an image search I was doing.
carseats1.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this before? What is it?

ADS

Baylor

Are there any studies on rear facing in the front vs back in an accident?

Neat picture.. They must have visited a distant advanced planet... ;)

StillThankful

Neat picture.. They must have visited a distant advanced planet... ;)

Baylor,
I had been doing some research on this and came across some information that states the front dash is actually very sturdy and the strongest point of the car in frontal impacts. (paraphrasing for sure;))

I'll try to find the article.:) Found it: http://www.carseat.se/are-car-seats-in-front-seat-safe/

People in Sweden often rear face their little ones in the front seat.

However,it's illegal in VA unless you don't have a back seat.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, Adventuredad is very gung-ho on rear-facing in the front seat. Unfortunately, that article didn't provide any actual statistics or comparisons with the back seat.

It is true that the dashboard provides stability. The dashboard is also closer to the impact in a frontal crash, and I wonder about the forces being transferred more severely through a braced seat.

There was a study done in the US in the late '70s or early '80s, and it did include some children who had been rear-facing in the front. IIRC, those children survived crashes that were fatal to other occupants. That study was looking at car seats, though, not so much seating position, and the sample size was very small, so it's more anecdotal than scientific.

I would likely RF in the front before FF in the back, but I would RF in the back before RF in the front. And of course, RF in any front seat would require the MANUAL (not sensor) deactivation of any airbag, and most US cars do not have that capacity.

Baylor

StillThankful said:
Baylor,
I had been doing some research on this and came across some information that states the front dash is actually very sturdy and the strongest point of the car in frontal impacts. (paraphrasing for sure;))

I'll try to find the article.:) Found it: http://www.carseat.se/are-car-seats-in-front-seat-safe/

People in Sweden often rear face their little ones in the front seat.

However,it's illegal in VA unless you don't have a back seat.

I've seen the pics from Sweden and it makes sense to me. Thank you for the link!!

auto correct hates me

luckyclov

I remember reading this a couple years ago and it's always stayed "programmed" in my memory. Basically, a vehicle (with a family inside) collided head-on with a bus at 55 MPH. It killed the mother, father, and 5-year old girl. A 10-year old girl was left in critical condition. A 1-year old, who was rear-facing, in the front passenger seat (airbag deactivated) survived, unharmed.

http://www.carseat.se/a-swedish-rear-facing-car-seat-saves-another-life/

Keeanh

I rear-face Rebekah in DH's front passenger seat just because I love having her looking at me and I might never be able to do it again once this car dies :eek:.

sailingdaddy

In crash tests the performance of front seat RF placement is always great. Additionally we have real-world data from thousands of accidents over 30 years. The front seat placement is in total slightly safer.

But, the really important factor is that the front seat placement is the enabler for many families to keep children rearfacing longer. This greatly improves safety and reduces the total number of injured children.

These "soft" factors that should be considered are for example:

1. In smaller cars, the front seat may be the only place that fits an ERF (RF past 4 years) seat.

2. In medium sized cars, using two ERF seats on the passenger side, one in front and one in the bacts behind him/her. Also, you get both kids on the curb side when getting in and out of the car, which is the safest way, as discussed here in another thread.

3. It takes away the hesitation of many parents to keep a young child RF alone in the back where it's hard and dangerous to see or interact. We always feel very comfortable beeing able to glance at the baby in the front next to us.

In total, it helps to make parents RF much longer when the front seat is an option.

The current regulations in the US to make it illegal to disconnect the airbag (at least in most cars) is very counter-productive to the ERF cause. I can't see why a compromise between manual disconnect and sensors couldn't be a good compromise anywhere in the world. Let people disconnect if they want, but provide ample warning if sensors detect an adult in the seat when the airbag is off, just like seatbelt warnings, as well as a proximity sensor in the dash that detects RF seats when the airbag is on. That way we would not have to trust the sensors to be 100% correct in a crash, but they would still provide us with help if we forget to switch it on or off. That would be my choice if I could decide on a global standard.... (I wish). Kind of a compromise of the european disconnect switch and the american preference for advanced sensors.

BR /Marcus

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC