Have you seen this?

Beckers

http://http://www.theangelguard.com/

I saw these at baby Depot today and my first reaction was if your child isn't mature enough to not unbuckle the seat belt, he's not mature enough to sit in a booster!
But then I thought this might work on the Gen 3 seatbelts :confused:
Am I just missing something huge on why this might be unsafe? If so, kindly hit me over the head :doh:

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I bought something similar to this at Walmart just so I could check it out. It doesn't even fit on our seatbelts. Pretending I was a clueless parent who was pissed about buying a product that didn't work as promised, I forced it and got it to fit well enough that it would cover the belt. It would also, however, become a projectile in a crash.

I have no idea specifically why it's dangerous other than the usual answers.

Suzibeck

I don't know if it would work for Gen3 belts. It says the inventor was a mom of a 3 yo who was undoing her seatbelt. Put the kid in harness! Thankfully, we have several options available now.

It may be helpful for children with special needs that are too big for the usual HWH. I may consider trying this if I had an older child who simply didn't/couldn't understand they had to keep the belt buckled, but more likely I'd look into Easy On products.

Beckers

Thanks crunchierthanthou!

I have dial up and it wigged out on me when I tried to go back and edit :mad:

Tiffanie

yeah I have to agree, if they are not mature enough to keep the belt buckled, they are not mature enough for a booster!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
If anything, I think using a product like this on a Gen3 seatbelt would potentially increase the chances of the seatbelt releasing because it could more readily press down on the seatbelt release button. I wouldn't want to put anything over or next to a Gen3 seatbelt buckle, just like I'd want to be extra careful about potential projectiles in the vehicle. I feel pretty much the same way about this sort of aftermarket product on any type of seatbelt.

UlrikeDG

My child who isn't mature enough to sit in a booster would get out of the seatbelt whether she could undo the buckle or not.

Auntie2Avi

The only time i would think of using this would be if i was putting 3 seats in a car with a carseat next to a booster and if the carseat kept on getting unbuckled. I would also move the booster child to the other side so that they would not unbuckle the booster, but I could see using it in that specific case.

Leila

My four year old would have that figured out in a heartbeat! He's very mechanically inclined, much like his Mama.

Defrost

The one I've got might work a bit better to actually prevent the kids from undoing it, depending on the belt stalk in question. You cram it down into the seat bight once it's on, so the only way to get it off is to get your fingers down there and lift it. This MIGHT make it so that the child couldn't reach it, but again, it's unlikely that a child in a booster seat wouldn't eventually figure it out.

I can't find it online. It's made by "Rockford Commercial Products" and it's called the "Child Seat Safety Guard." Says on the back it's "manufactured for Walmart Stores, Inc."

Anyway, I can only think of a few situations where I'd consider it - one was posted here a few weeks ago where a RF child was swinging his leg over and kicking and it was unbuckling his carseat. Another was one I heard about in my tech class where a dad absolutely flat-out refused to let the techs do anything with his seat because he'd wrapped about a yard of duct tape around the buckle because people who rode next to it kept accidentally unbuckling it (and this thing has GOT to be safer than duct tape!) He'd only showed up hoping they would approve the duct tape, I guess.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
i think it would be nice for thoses of us who have boneheaded relatives who accidently push the button on C's seatbelt(the one holding in his car seat) instead of their own.. :mad:

Yes, it's a common problem around here....

Connor's Mom

i think it would be nice for thoses of us who have boneheaded relatives who accidently push the button on C's seatbelt(the one holding in his car seat) instead of their own.. :mad:

Yes, it's a common problem around here....

:ROTFLMAO:
I can so see my dad doing that! LOL! :whistle:

wondering1

Yeah, that was a wake up call when a relative, accidentally and without reporting anything unusual, unbuckled my child's car seat...dunno how long it was that way before it was noticed :( Maybe 1-3 car trips.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
DBK, 8 year old autistic boy decided to unbuckle his husky one day. Mom was so stressed. We were thinking of something like this, for those "accidental" unbuckles.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Yeah, that was a wake up call when a relative, accidentally and without reporting anything unusual, unbuckled my child's car seat...dunno how long it was that way before it was noticed :( Maybe 1-3 car trips.

I drove around for 2 days like that.. the seat was still tight, just unbucled. Fortuantly nothing happened and C was only in the car w/me for 1 of those days... :(

And then it happened again in May right after i had surgery. i had to go out and reinstall thr regent. i was NOT happy...

Defrost

(Warning, highjacking the thread)

Judi, I just have ask why your puppy is still rear-facing? Didn't your vet tell you that you have to turn them forward-facing at eight weeks? And don't his legs get cramped like that? ;)

Jeanum

Staff member
(Warning, highjacking the thread)

Judi, I just have ask why your puppy is still rear-facing? Didn't your vet tell you that you have to turn them forward-facing at eight weeks? And don't his legs get cramped like that? ;)

:ROTFLMAO: Thanks for the laugh.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
:p

Well, Sadie prefers rear facing. She doesn't like it when there is a child in "her" seat! She seems to realize that air bags are dangerous, and loves being covered in straps. She does it herself! I attract strange animals.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC