baby b'air

cmcki737

This product came up in another thread and is interesting to me. Just wondering if anyone has used it and why I've never seen it reccomended on here before for people flying with lap held infants?

sent from my SPH-M580 using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, I don't really see the point to it. It's not approved for taxi, takeoff, or landing, so it doesn't provide any benefit there. During the rest of the flight, tethering the baby to you would be like tethering the baby to you at home on the couch. I suppose it could provide a benefit in sudden turbulence, but that's about it.

cmcki737

LISmama810 said:
Well, I don't really see the point to it. It's not approved for taxi, takeoff, or landing, so it doesn't provide any benefit there.

I was directed to their FAQ's when
I asked this and the website claims that 90% of accident occur during the flight and only 10% of accident occur during the prohibited times.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right... The most dangerous parts of a flight are take off and landing.

They're not talked about or recommended because it's NEVER recommended to have a lap baby. The FAA doesn't recommend it. The NTSB doesn't recommend it. We don't recommend it. There, no need for a Baby B'Air.

Wendy

lovemybabies924

i think im going to buy one, i have no choice but to take my baby as a lap baby in august :(

eta: and the only reason i want one is because were taking a night flight and i dont wanna drop her haha

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd use a baby sling instead. Far more comfortable, closer to you, so baby won't fall away, and more versatile.

The best thing about these is they'll keep baby from being a projectile during turbulence.

Are you moving in August? That's a lot of months away. Can you save up for a ticket, or change your plans? It's unusual to have a situation that "requires" a lap baby at that point, since the only time I can think of a lap baby being ok, and me being ok with my kids being at risk being hit by a lap baby, is if someone is unexpectedly dying and you must rush that day off to their side to be with them.

Wendy

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Supposedly this thing is designed to keep the baby out of the parent's crush zone, unlike a sling. Although I can't quite see how its design is doing that.

I watched the video. The numerous references to "baby into the ceiling" by voice or animation made me want to purchase a seat for my baby. I wasn't convinced the product would do much so the video sure didn't sell me on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Eclipsepearl

Sorry, I flew for a living for 13 years and have flown countless flights with my own children. I don't see the point.

This "crush zone" theory doesn't even make sense! How much time have I spent looking at crash data?? Sorry, but having a baby on your lap is NOT safe and there is NO gizmo that will make it so, or even less so.

The chances of bumping your head in turbulence is higher than dying in an accident. That is true. But for take-off and landing, the risk of crashing is much greater. I hate to see people scared of turbulence. When a boat rocks on the sea, they don't panic. They expect air travel to be totally smooth. Sorry if that's not reality. Be careful.

I don't like the scare tactics they use and also, some posters have appeared on some boards pushing this product a bit too heavily. I'm not accusing anyone of anything but it just seems fishy. It doesn't happen with other products.

Only once did I see a passenger "lose" their kid on the flight and he did it on purpose. He slid out of his sleeping mother's arms to go play (quite a few rows away and boy were they sad when I took him back!) Popular little guy! But no, dropping your kid is not a big risk.

If you're worried, use a good quality baby carrier.

cmcki737

Ok so a total waste of money. Why is it that these product are even allowed to be sold? If a company tried to sell this stuff for use in a car they would be shut down so why do we treat planes so different?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are plenty of POS that are unsafe and sold for cars. Walk down the carseat aisle in BRU. Bundle Mes, Snuzzlers, aftermarket covers, a whole bunch of mirrors, aftermarket chest clips, etc. Heck, even the Go Inflatable Booster. They are sold for one very simple reason. People will buy them.

Wendy

cmcki737

wendytthomas said:
There are plenty of POS that are unsafe and sold for cars. Walk down the carseat aisle in BRU. Bundle Mes, Snuzzlers, aftermarket covers, a whole bunch of mirrors, aftermarket chest clips, etc. Heck, even the Go Inflatable Booster. They are sold for one very simple reason. People will buy them.

Wendy

I never thought of it that way...I feel very sad now :-(

Athena

Wendy

I've been wondering the same thing lately. I agree with your answer. People will buy them, so the companies will sell them. The part I wonder more about is why is it legal? It seems logical for people to assume that if something was really dangerous, our government would not allow it, so many people use these products thinking they are safe. And it's not like our government does a great job at publicizing the facts about car seat safety. I'm not trying to completely derail this thread, so if anyone is really interested in discussing this, we should probably make a new thread for this in the appropriate location. Either way, it's the part of this question that I wonder about (and find difficult to explain to/convince others). Whereas it comes as no surprise to me that companies would cash in however they can. :)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I guess the difference is we don't KNOW that a lot of things that might be unsafe actually are.

COULD a BundleMe make a car seat unsafe? Yes, potentially, but not definitely. We have no way of knowing, really.

The Baby B'Air is probably no worse than using nothing, it just provides no benefit. It's perfectly legal to use, just pointless.

Eclipsepearl

People will buy them, so the companies will sell them. The part I wonder more about is why is it legal? It seems logical for people to assume that if something were really dangerous, our government would not allow it, so many people use these products thinking they are safe. And it's not like our government does a great job at publicizing the facts about car seat safety.

Not to derail this thread but remember, the gov't. is not going to step in unless there is clear evidence that something is dangerous. Example, rfing car seats in front seats with air bags. There were deaths and now there are laws.

With products for air travel, it's even tricker than with cars and Wendy gave great examples of the products sold for that! There just aren't that many crashes to have enough data to make an air-tight case against something or some practice. When we discussed lap babies in training, we asked how it's allowed. We were told, 20 years ago, that there were maybe 30 children who lost their lives in 30 years vs. 10 million lap babies per year who get to their destination safely. Commercial air travel is safe.

Basically, to ban a product, you need to show cases where the product was used and proved to be unsafe. I've never seen this product on any of my flights so even if something happened with it being used, there's probably nothing to compare it to.

We're in a market economy and there is definitely a spirit of "get gov't. out of our lives" mentality so bringing in more regulation is not what's welcome right now.

F

fiestagrill

Hi, I have used a baby b'air when we flew cross-country a couple years ago with our then 20 month old. I actually liked having it, I felt more comfortable knowing she couldn't accidentally wriggle off my lap. And I did use it during taxi, takeoff and landing, the flight attendants never stopped me. All that being said, I will say that having a seat for a child is way more convenient (and comfortable!). We bought a seat for our infant when we just had one child, but chose to do a lap infant this particular time since we had 2 children and it was so expensive. So, my recommendation is, buy a seat if possible, if that's not an option for you, then I felt the baby b'air gave me peace of mind that my baby would at least not end up on the floor! ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC