Emergency Vehicles

longstocking

I'm curious if anyone knows the answer to my burning question. If, say, a police officer has to remove a child from a situation do they have seats in their cars to strap them in?
I know when my nephew was hospitalized he was always transported in the ambulance, and helicopter strapped in his infant seat, tubes and all.
But how does it work in an emergency situation or such?

ADS

lovemy2kidstw

I have wandered the same thing. I always notice on the shows like COPS, the officer usually just straps them in the backseat w/ a seatbelt.

firemomof3

I can tell you my experiences. Its required by the state here for every ambulance to be able to transport a child from 5lbs.-70lb.s in a car seat sooo, the Radian was the obvious choice. I have assisted several depts. in getting a Radian80 and showing them how to use it. They are suppose to strap the child into the Radian and then secure it to the cot in the ambulance. Do they....almost never :mad: If they can they transport the child in their own car seat but they usually just instal it into the captains seat which is totally wrong :hitselfonhead:
Its an ongoing process and hopefully it will get better :(

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It depends. Some CHP units carry a Radian and a backless in the trunk locally but not all. There are often exemptions for children riding in police vehicles in laws.

It is preferred that children be transported in a car seat in the ambulance when possible. Some carry one, some don't, and it obviously only works for kids small enough to fit. In an emergency they usually dpo their best but sometimes that means mom holds baby while they are both strapped in or a toddler gets strapped in less that ideally on the gurney, or other non-ideal things. They do what they can and thankfully crashes in ambulances are rare.

creideamh

I think it just depends. Here, they never transport in actual cop cars... They wait for someone with a non-cage vehicle. If you mean how does EMS transport, we don't have any regulations for keeping safe car seat boards/Radians in ambulances. If they have to remove the child from the car seat in the vehicle that was in an accident (versus keeping the kid in the seat inside the ambulance), then they just make do with what they have... Even if it means transporting like they would an adult.
We were taught in our CPST class to never ever use an ambulance unless absolutely necessary. If we hurt but were mostly ok in an accident, to wait for a private vehicle that could take us/the kids safely.
Also, a lot of our KHP/social workers/etc keep RSTVs in their cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Mysweethoneybee

I have seen sheriff cars in my area driving with kids laying on the shelf behind the back seat or standing up in the back seat looking out the back window. I don't know the circumstances about why there would be kids in the sheriff cars.

mamakc

When DD rode in an ambulance they strapped her to the gurney. Nothing about a car seat was ever mentioned. We had other, more pressing, concerns. Lol I think if emergency transport is warranted, cps takes a back seat to the immediate general safety of the child.

hedgefun

Mysweethoneybee said:
I have seen sheriff cars in my area driving with kids laying on the shelf behind the back seat or standing up in the back seat looking out the back window. I don't know the circumstances about why there would be kids in the sheriff cars.

Could be possible they are the officer's kids. SIL is a police officer and sometimes picks my niece up and drops her off on the way to/from work. However, DN is properly restrained in a car seat.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm curious if anyone knows the answer to my burning question. If, say, a police officer has to remove a child from a situation do they have seats in their cars to strap them in?
I know when my nephew was hospitalized he was always transported in the ambulance, and helicopter strapped in his infant seat, tubes and all.

A few people have touched on this...but you're mixing apples and oranges here.

Many police vehicles or cruisers are equipped with plastic benches in the rear and/or 'cages' that keep the driver/officer safe. These are incompatible with safely installing a car seat in most cases.

Most police departments have other vehicles (undercover, detective bureau, administrative, etc.) that they could utilize if a car seat was needed to transport a child.

Do most department have these car seats? No. Because their frequency of need is very small. Police Departments are not good places for children, so in my experience they'll keep the child at the location found whenever possible, until a suitable guardian can be located...rather than transport.

My guess is that departments that don't own seats would attempt to locate a seat for a child who needed one if possible if they really needed to transport. i.e. At my small department, if I were working they'd likely call me to bring my seat or my vehicle. Or one of the officers who was a parent might go to HQ and grab his own child's seat. That sort of thing.

As for a child who is a PATIENT being transported in an ambulance, that's a horse of a whole different color. In an emergency, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...but those of us involved in both CPS and EMS education are doing our best to educate EMS personnel about how to maximize children's safety in ambulances. Sadly, more than 10,000 ambulance crashes a year injure or kill someone. Most ambulance crash fatalities or major injuries occur in the rear compartment, when occupants are unrestrained or improperly restrained, at intersections and during emergency operation.

Firemomof3...in some cases it is acceptable to put a car seat in a Captain's chair that faces the rear of the ambulance. It needs to be installed with the forward-facing belt path. It's better to have it installed with both belt paths on the stretcher, but sometimes that isn't ideal. The Captain's chair is a better choice than no restraint at all...or installing on the side-facing bench seat. (Although my understanding is there is some discussion that the bench seat might be ok after all. Haven't gotten any more into that.)

If I had my way, every ambulance in the US would have a SafeGuard Transport on board to transport pediatric patients. You can read about it here if you're interested:

http://www.safeguardseat.com/industries/ambulance-safety.php

skylinphoto

Regarding ambulance rides..when my ds was 4 months old, he was just put on the gurney..no carseat.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

bubbaray

My DD2 has had 2 ambulance rides. At age almost 12m the crew strapped her MA onto the stretcher so it was RFg as we drove. Her next ride was at age 3.5 and they had an onboard harness restraint for the stretcher and she again rode RFg on the stretcher.

I believe here the police don't transport children they call in child welfare to do so. In the larger cities they have cars with police and SWs and IIRC they have child restraints they can use. Most areas don't have those types of police/SW cars tho. I know only of 2 in my metro ares

bubbaray

creideamh said:
. If they have to remove the child from the car seat in the vehicle that was in an accident (versus keeping the kid in the seat inside the ambulance), then they just make do with what they have...

Seat.Org

Here if the child is extracted from a crashed vehicle they try to cut out the seat so that the child can stay in it during the ambulance ride. That is what the fire dept told me when DD2 was going on her first ride. They use te seat like a back board to keep the spine stable

Keeanh

Cops around here never carry kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC