Just when you think you have seen it all....

Baylor

When I picked my son up from school today, I drive around the school grounds rather than turn around to come home..

I could not make out what was coming at me.

It was a Honda Accord, Roof open driving about 30 miles an hour with two 2nd graders standing up with their hands in the air..

WHAT.IS.WRONG.WITH.PEOPLE.:banginghead:

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Sigh. The other day for me, it was a Jeep CJ7 type vehicle. Top off. 2 kids (6-8ish) NO SEAT BELTS buckled (could see them...they were lap/shoulder belts) and the driver was nicely buckled in the front. Apparently he was more important.

Baylor

Sigh. The other day for me, it was a Jeep CJ7 type vehicle. Top off. 2 kids (6-8ish) NO SEAT BELTS buckled (could see them...they were lap/shoulder belts) and the driver was nicely buckled in the front. Apparently he was more important.

EXACTLY!! What they heck?

My mom is an ER nurse. One of the worst nights of her life was when she had 4 kids brought in, from a car wreck. The mom was buckled in. None of the kids were. I know at least 2 died right away the others were in bad shape. It was so bad my dad had to go pick her up. Can not even imagine living through that.

henrietta

EXACTLY!! What they heck?

My mom is an ER nurse. One of the worst nights of her life was when she had 4 kids brought in, from a car wreck. The mom was buckled in. None of the kids were. I know at least 2 died right away the others were in bad shape. It was so bad my dad had to go pick her up. The mother however had been buckled in and was fine. Can not even imagine living through that.

I can't imagine living thru it either--that's why I am careful about the kids in my care (mine or friends or family), so I don't have to. But in HER case, she deserved to "live thru it"--she deserved to endure feeling horrible. I hate to be that way, but it's true. Her children didn't deserve to die..but she doesn't deserve to get off easy for killing them either.

Baylor

I can't imagine living thru it either--that's why I am careful about the kids in my care (mine or friends or family), so I don't have to. But in HER case, she deserved to "live thru it"--she deserved to endure feeling horrible. I hate to be that way, but it's true. Her children didn't deserve to die..but she doesn't deserve to get off easy for killing them either.

It had to be bad. My mom has been a surgical Nurse, Trauma Nurse, She has seen it all.

I don't know what happened to her. I don't know if the accident was her fault or not. I just know I could not live with that.

Im with you. Kids in my car are not restrained to the minimum but to the very best I can do for them.

clmchrissy

Saw the same thing picking up ds1 today ...in the backseat a 1-2 yr old hanging out a half open window and a 4 yr old out the sunroof. They pulled in like that.:(

turtlemama

I saw a 2 year old in the front seat, completely unrestrained on Monday. Just before that, I saw a child, probably 8-10 years old, in the front seat, not buckled, hanging OUT the window. His sister was doing the same thing in the back seat, except she was probably 5 or 6. As I was walking past the teacher that keeps an eye on everyone at the pick up lines, I said "That is highly illegal and dangerous, those children should be buckled up." I hope that he says something next time he sees them.

Today, I saw almost the worst possible thing happen right in front of me. It's not car seat related, though.
We were walking home from picking up DD, when I heard women screaming. I looked up to see a toddler stepping off the sidewalk about 30 feet in front of me, into the road, as a car was coming. The women were screaming at him to stop, but he was probably no older than my youngest (21 months) so he had no clue what was going on. I told DD to stay with the stroller and ran to stop him. His mom also did the same. He ended up falling down before he got to where the car would have hit him. Neither of us would have made it to him if he didn't fall :(

That was one of the worst feelings. To know that, even though I tried, I would not have been able to stop that boy getting hit.

hrice

This weekend on the highway there was a sedan with a 5-6 yr old child sitting on the center console facing the back seat.

At least he was rear facing?

msg221

I was on my way to meet my friend for lunch today and as I was pulling out of the parking garage, I saw a man walking to his car, holding a baby that couldn't have been more than 8 months old. I had to wait for traffic to go by, so I saw him open up the car door where his car was parked at a meter, and he put the baby in a FF seat, which looked like it was an AOE. If I hadn't been off to meet my friend who was already waiting at the restaurant, I'd have stopped and talked to him and hopefully, turned the baby back RF.

bubbaray

Our former neighbor used to pick up her DD from school ( walking distance) and drive home with the child hanging out of the front passenger side window from the waist. I guess it was safe because mom drove a BMW.

mykidsmylife

I lived in El Paso for 3 years so I saw it all...
Mom who went to my college (drove over from Mexico) 3 kids ages 6m, 2 and 4. No car seats, no seat belts. I even gave her info on getting free seats. She never did.

Gma and Gpa at Walmart with 5m old grandson FF in their 25 yr olds car seat. They went and got a free covertible and hugged me for giving them the info.

Driving down a main road at 45 MPH. Mom rides by in car with 2-3 yr old climbing all over back seat. No car seat to be found.

1 car with driver, 2 8-10 yr olds in passenger back had 1 adult and 4 kids about 2-8 on back seat with baby on floor.

2 families in van, mom holding small baby on lap, no car seats. The cops pulled them and then I saw mom walking with baby.....

Many many many ff infant seats, one being used by a 6 yr old. Not buckled of course.

Driving down the highway at 85mph and a truck sped past us with a boy about age 3 leaning on the front dash playing with his cars. (I actually vomited a little with that one).

Here I saw a family pull up with baby in Baby Trend not buckled in, 2 yr old climbing all over car and 10 yr old not buckled.

I could go on and on and on with the stuff I have seen. :(

Cath3114

I see some terrible stuff too. I work in an extremely low income area - think family of 5, income less than $15,000. One SS check for $694, food stamps for $505 (true case).

The only seats I have EVER seen are FF buckets. None of my clients, between ages 4-10, ride in anything. sometimes babies are just held in laps. I have wanted to say something many times, offer to help install the bucket for the 5m old. But it's already such a delicate relationship, and very precarious for me to be in these houses to begin with. There's extreme distrust of authority, and the racial differences don't help at all (this is inner city New Orleans, the lowest lying, poverty stricken areas where the worst flooding occurred. All of my clients are African American. I am white. No amount of sugar-coating can hide the fact that it does matter).

As much as I want to say something, I have to be logical and realize its not going to be appreciated or taken seriously. Not from me.

jenfrogmom

Christmas Day late at night (almost midnight) the Roads were pure ice, I was driving. I kept seeing this writers figure bopping up and down in the back window. I finally caught up and got along side the car only to see it was a two year old bopping up and down, no Carseat at all in the car! My mouth dropped and the mom gave me the finger! I felt ill!

VoodooChile

I've mostly gotten out of the habit of looking, so I haven't noticed too much since we've moved here, but I do see a LOT of young kids in the front seats of cars--like really young, 4-5 years old. Newer cars, too, with airbags. I guess a lot of parents trust those sensors :(

Baylor

I just dont understand. I don't understand how you can think your child unrestrained is safe? Not to worry about their lives?

At least that crazy pic of the kid with both seat belts shows me a woman trying to keep the kid safe, allbeit wrongly but I at least see the effort to keep her buckled in..

I just don't get the whole, its no big deal thinking.

mommyfrog

I read about this all the time, but haven't actually seen it myself. My dh ran into the store while I waited in the car with the kids. Of course I was checking out the car seat in the car next to me, just a flowery Scenera. A woman comes out with a little girl about two years old. She sits her in the seat, puts her arms through the straps, shuts the door, and walks around the car. The little girl buckled the chest clip (on her belly of course) while the mom was backing out.

Phineasmama

In a tiny little tin can Kia 5 seater....
4 adults, 2 children who looked to be under the age of 3 sitting on laps in the back seat.

I called the police and followed them until they parked and went into a grocery store. The operator told me just to leave and not confront them (I wasn't planning on it) so I don't know if they got caught or not.
It kinda looked like the grandparents were visiting or something and they just decided it was okay to all pile in this one tiny vehicle for a trip to the store, ugh.

mamakc

When I was two, my dad got pulled over for a speeding ticket, but got a bigger ticket when the officer saw me peeking my head out from behind the drivers seat. It was a 2 seater extended cab truck, the kind with room behind the front seats, but no back seat. He had me sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket.

In his defense, he is an excellent grand papa in all things cps related. He learned eventually!

Also, I used to ride home from school hanging out of the sun roof of our neighbor's car, too.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I've worked with a bunch of families who were originally from Mexico. Culturally, using carseats means that a child has special needs, so they don't like to use them. I found that very interesting and now am able to word things differently with people of different cultures.

I now try not to look in cars because I get to frustrated with the horrible usage that I see. It is scary stuff!!!

P1ally

I can't look anymore. Calling the cops on a lap baby usually results in nothing.

The saddest part is that it takes a death- a sacrifice of a child's life- for people to wake up. Until they know someone who died from not wearing their seatbelt, it seems like a crazy "overprotective" thing. The only thing we can do is be vigilant with our own family and friends, and keep spreading the word. Ugh.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC