Communication with Babies R Us

Cath3114

A couple days ago, I posted on BRU's FB about their sales associates making bad car seat recommendations, like FF too early what have you. A friend of mine chimed in that she was told to FF her 7m old because "he's a big boy." (Fortunately, she and I have talked car seats and she is pro-ERF). I suggested providing basic training about best practice, or disallowing associates from giving advice if training would be cost prohibitive.

Their response was to send them an email with my contact info so we could talk about it. Which I plan to do.

I want to write something stellar, and I want as many of you involved as possible. I am not a tech (planning to certify within the year), so I feel it would lend more credence if a few techs were also on board. I'm hoping for the squeaky wheel effect. And any suggestions for what to say that will keep it short and to the point.

Maybe it seems far-fetched, like I'm an idealist. Maybe it's even been done before with no results. But hey, I'm a dreamer! I know I've seen tons of complaints about it on here, so maybe we can all group together and get the message out there

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I'm really not able to help write at the moment (usually I like to do that sort of thing, but my brain is elsewhere tonight). But one thing I'd include is that the company has a "reputation" for giving out bad car seat advice.

bethng

I'm really not able to help write at the moment (usually I like to do that sort of thing, but my brain is elsewhere tonight). But one thing I'd include is that the company has a "reputation" for giving out bad car seat advice.

Unless I happen to be working! lol :D

Brigala

CPST Instructor
LOL, Beth! I'm sure you give out awesome advice! But you can't single-handedly change the reputation of an entire national chain while only working part time, can you?

The best car seat advice I've ever witnessed at BRU personally was, "Well, I don't know much about car seats but maybe I could see if I could find the manual for you?" LOL.

Of course I've never been to your BRU. ;)

bethng

LOL, Beth! I'm sure you give out awesome advice! But you can't single-handedly change the reputation of an entire national chain while only working part time, can you?no I cant. I gave up on trying to save the world a looong time ago

The best car seat advice I've ever witnessed at BRU personally was, "Well, I don't know much about car seats but maybe I could see if I could find the manual for you?" LOL. that was pretty good advice really.

Of course I've never been to your BRU. ;)
come on over!

Cath3114

bethng said:
Unless I happen to be working! lol :D

I knew someone on here works there, so I'm glad you chimed in!

And for anybody else, I won't be writing it at 2am, so please feel free to contribute whenever!

Pixels

My SIL is a fairly recent hire at BRU. During training, they were told at least two things that are serious errors about our state law. So they are providing training but can't even get their basic facts straight.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My dream is that enough outsiders write to them, and that I finally get pay commensurate with my experience :cool:
I know you guys are way more clever writers than I am, so I can't wait to see what you come up with.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
This is what I just sent them:

"Dear Babies R Us,

A fellow Child Passenger Safety advocate commented on your Facebook wall that she was dismayed that Babies R Us employees were giving poor car seat information in her local store. She was asked to contact this e-mail to share her story. And she asked some of us to share our stories as well. BRU employees giving bad car seat info is NOT a new thing, I'm very sad to say.

I have spoken with managers at my local Babies R Us store (my store's location) on several occasions. The first was after attending a 'Buckle Up and Boogie' session. The video shown was grossly outdated. And the employee assigned to answer car seat questions immediately after in the car seat aisle had absolutely no knowledge of car seats at all. I was correcting him after every answer. I asked to speak to the manager on that occasion. Only an assistant was on duty. I explained that the outdated video and bad info was dangerous for your customers, that I'd like to help, and left my card. I was told a store manager would contact me and no one ever did.

The second contact was when I was in the car seat aisle one day looking at some of the new seats and overheard a mom asking about car seat options for her small child. The employee who responded was, again giving incorrect and dangerous info to this mom, so I stepped in. Afterward, again, I spoke to an assistant manager (a different one this time) and again left my card and received no call.

This is a story I hear over and over and over again from fellow Child Passenger Safety Technicians. We work tirelessly to educate parents in best practice, and it's disheartening when a company such as Babies R Us, which makes so much of its profit off the backs of parents, doesn't seem to care about the SAFETY of those very parents' children.

I would still LOVE to help my local BRU. I'd be happy to answer questions after any future Buckle Up and Boogie events. I would be happy to run a training program for the local BRUs employees. Whatever I can do to help, I will. And I'd like to see BRU seek out CPSTs for EVERY store. As employees as well as consultants for special events like the Buckle Up one. I'd love to see BRU develop a culture where car seat SAFETY and GOOD, CORRECT information be standard and required.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

[my name]
Child Passenger Safety Technician"

Hope that helps!

bethng

This is what I just sent them:

I would still LOVE to help my local BRU. I'd be happy to answer questions after any future Buckle Up and Boogie events

Sincerely,

[my name]
Child Passenger Safety Technician"

Hope that helps!

No more buckle up and boogie events. First they changed the name to "gearing up for baby" ...something like that and then the event just disappeared. I cant even recall the last tine I taught a class....baby gear or breastfeeding 101

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
No more buckle up and boogie events. First they changed the name to "gearing up for baby" ...something like that and then the event just disappeared. I cant even recall the last tine I taught a class....baby gear or breastfeeding 101

Yeah, that was several years ago. I completely gave up on BRU after the 2nd incident. Well, whatever they call it, or whether they do or don't offer them...it remains that they aren't very committed to making sure their employees don't misinform customers. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC