How appalled? Scale of 1-10

linneabw

With 10 being the highest how appalled are you with a three year old in a hbb? I know two just turned in hbbs. One is huge for his age but i know he'd fit in a Nauti or Frontier. My three uear old is still rfing! I'm up at a ten!

ADS

Baylor

linneabw said:
With 10 being the highest how appalled are you with a three year old in a hbb? I know two just turned in hbbs. One is huge for his age but i know he'd fit in a Nauti or Frontier. My three uear old is still rfing! I'm up at a ten!

I'm at 10 too. No 3 yr old should be in a booster.

auto correct hates me

mykidsmylife

I can't say. Ideally any 3 yr old should be harnessed but sadly this can't always happen. So being a tech I tend to look at things a bit more complexed. What is the families income? What seat are available for us to give to them? How mature is the 3 yr old? etc.etc.etc....

So if there is no financial reason for the 3 yr old to be boostered than I would say about an 8. If there was no better choice then about a 5.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Depends. If I'm in an area where kids are out of seats at six and sitting in the front, their one year old sibling in the back forward facing? Then I think a three year old in a booster is grand.

If I'm in an area where people have the AAP's recommendations and take them to heart, then I'm very appalled.

Wendy

Little Ps Mama

10. I see it everywhere where I live (including at my own three year old's preschool, where he is one of few kids still harnessed, let alone the only one still rear-facing) but it doesn't anger me any less.

Cath3114

I have a friend who put her 2.5 in a lbb. Another with a 17m in a hbb.

Many of my clients have their kids in nothing when they turn 4. Or infants in FF buckets. Makes me sick.

bella_1818

For me it would depend on how the harnessed seat was being used. There was a kid in DS's class that was in a harnessed seat that was WAY too loose and twice I saw the parents put him in the seat but the seat wasn't installed in the vehicle! He's in a BB now and he's probably safer than he was before. I'll vote 5.

jeminijad

10 out of 10 is the kid hanging out the window while the car is in motion.

3 year old in a backless is more like 5 out of 10. Especially if your scale means 1 = slightly appalled/very disappointed.

hrice

Well, it's definitely not ideal but honestly I'd be glad it's at least a high back and not a backless. My views have changed since I've ventured out of my perfect car seat world and into the real world of being a tech.

Appall level is a 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Mysweethoneybee

I live in an area where any carseat past the infant bucket is awesome. Before I even knew about this site I was dumbfounded that the teachers at my kids school let their kids ride in their laps or moved their children from infant buckets straight to booster seats because they were "almost" 30lbs.
So I can't say appalled at all. Saddened, yes.

lovemybabybug

I would say 10, but after seeing my SIL put 2 and half yo niece in a Turbo, saying she was tired of doing the chest clip in the Scenera, and then removing the back when niece turned 3 sayind t was just too bulky, I am not all that apalled. Adn my 19 months old cousins in Brazil all ride in either boosters or nothing :( It's just too much money to get a convertible, then a FF seat then a booster.

Im going to have to say a 5/6 only because at least they are buckeled in. I have "friends" who let their kids rome the car freely while the car is in motion.:eek: What do I say?? Honestly such a touchy topic. Im sure they know better, but honestly.:confused:

On the other hand our town has a very active SafeKids campaign going on and I really believe she has made huge strides in educating people. There are some very ignorant people out there though and some that will never learn. :(

creideamh

Not appalled at all. Is it awful each time I see it? Yeah... but I see it literally every day. Like PP said, at least it isn't a backless. I watched a mom stick her 2 barely 3 year old twin girls in brand new backless AMPs in her brand new car the other day at the park. My own aunt and uncle were taking the kids out of seats period at age 4.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Well, it's definitely not ideal but honestly I'd be glad it's at least a high back and not a backless. My views have changed since I've ventured out of my perfect car seat world and into the real world of being a tech.

Absolutely. I might not even go as high as 7 if the child meets the limits and fits well (a nice dedicated Turbo and not a Cosco High-Backed Booster with the straps pushed to the side) and the seat is being used properly.

0 = best practice
10 = 9mo in forward-facing infant bucket with just the chest clip fastened

3yo in properly used highbacked booster = 5-6

Brianna

Appalled level is around a 5, sad level is 10.

The shock value of a 2 1/2 year old in a HBB wore off a while ago when my co-worker wouldn't he harness her grandson even after I explained why it's unsafe and illegal. I'm pretty sure she took the back off when he was around 3.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
A 3? I used to do it... It's hard for me to feel stronger than empathy. Now, if the parent knows better, and just doesn't care? A 9-10.

LuvBug

Considering I see a lot of 2-3yos in no back boosters... this would actually make me happy for the way things are around here :( Most kids are out of seats completely by 4-5 here, despite what our laws are...

in general I am appalled to the max at the carseat usage here.

christineka

At car seat checks, we get a lot of people that can't afford a car seat. They are there to get the free seat. Not everyone can spend $150-200 on a car seat. If the kid could fit in a scenera, then I'm at a number 9, but if the kid is too big, then more of a 4/5. I've put 3 year olds in boosters at car seat checks. I don't like it, but it's safer than riding in an outgrown harnessed seat.

Phineasmama

I just don't get it. I mean yeah I think a 3yo in a booster is a terrible idea. But it seems like a lot of parents think it's super safe and that they are going above and beyond.

And the parents who use nothing, and let their kids bop around the car with no seat belts...seriously wtf? I want to know I people are really that Fing stupid. They can't think that's safe...so they must think hat nothing bad will happen to them.

It's all just utterly ridiculous. Sometimes I just have to mentally block out the things I see just to keep my sanity intact.

Baylor

jeminijad said:
10 out of 10 is the kid hanging out the window while the car is in motion.

3 year old in a backless is more like 5 out of 10. Especially if your scale means 1 = slightly appalled/very disappointed.

That's a 12 for me.

auto correct hates me

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC