Cosco Pronto or Evenflo Big Kid Sport

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Big Kid Sport. I like the Amp portion of the booster for later, and the Evenflo doesn't require support from the car behind it like the Pronto does.

If you have support from the car, both are fine.

Wendy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Depends on the kid. The Pronto is taller, so for a very young tall kid I'd go with the Pronto if there is adequate vehicle support. For most kids I'd go with the Amp/BKSport because I like the backless better.

Angela

Depends on the kid. The Pronto is taller, so for a very young tall kid I'd go with the Pronto if there is adequate vehicle support. For most kids I'd go with the Amp/BKSport because I like the backless better.

He'll be 7 in July and has a decently tall torso (17"), but will probably need to be in a hbb in this particular vehicle for quite a while. Of course, it's a pretty old/worn out vehicle so who knows how long we'll even have it. I really like the backless on the Evenflo as well (we also have a backless Amp).

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'd prefer to see a 7yo in a highbacked booster, but wouldn't stress about it too much, especially since he probably still has a couple of inches in the BKSport. I was thinking more of a 5yo with a monster torso.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The back on the Pronto is so very, very flimsy that I hardly count it as a HBB (in my mind.) I got it to support a sleeping "big kid" but the back would torque as he leaned against it and he'd fall right out. This was at its taller heights, and IMO, it was just useless.

For that reason I'd go with the BKSport. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It does work as a belt positioner in cars that need that extra belt positioning of the shoulder belt longer (as long as you have headrests) though.

And I think the seating area is deeper, more leg support?

It would depend on a lot of factors, to me.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, what car, and how tall is he compared to the headrests? Neither one of those has great SIP, either, if the headrests are tall, maybe the Safety 1st Complete Air (Like Pronto, requires head support, ie, imagine the child is in a backless booster)? If they are short, maybe the Parkway (I bet there's a good deal on a gently used one in Swap, so it might be not too much more than the ones you are considering. Just a thought :)).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yeah, what car, and how tall is he compared to the headrests? Neither one of those has great SIP, either, if the headrests are tall, maybe the Safety 1st Complete Air (Like Pronto, requires head support, ie, imagine the child is in a backless booster)? If they are short, maybe the Parkway (I bet there's a good deal on a gently used one in Swap, so it might be not too much more than the ones you are considering. Just a thought :)).

I think you mean the Boost Air, not the convertible. :)

Wendy

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
ketchupqueen said:
It does work as a belt positioner in cars that need that extra belt positioning of the shoulder belt longer (as long as you have headrests) though.

And I think the seating area is deeper, more leg support?

Very valid point, KQ. If the belt guide is what someone needs it for then it would work fine - it's very very tall, I think it goes taller than the Monterey for me (but not as tall as the original Frontier.)

It's a good-sized backless overall, can't recall seating depth specifically though.

Angela

For a bit of background... This is for a vehicle that he'll only be in maybe once a week at the most. It's an old, rusty pickup and he'll possibly only be in it for Daddy and son 'dates' on Sat. mornings. It's more for emergency use, if he needs it though. We just got rid of our parkway because his hips are too wide and it was too hard for him to get the belt under the armrests (and to remember to do it). I really like the high arm rests on both the Cosco and Evenflo and both fit him nicely in there, so it's just figuring out the convenience of both. It will be kept in the extend cab of the pick up when not in use and daddy isn't 'great' about checking to make sure he's buckled in right (DS is pretty good at it), so I want to make sure it's easy for both. :) Like I mentioned too, who knows how long the truck will last anyway, so I'm not too concerned about how tall it will go.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC