flame retardants

ADS

tam_shops

Kind of surprised and far more concerned about the chemicals in my kids Pjs (against their naked bodies) than on their car seat...

tam

julia94115

Kind of surprised and far more concerned about the chemicals in my kids Pjs (against their naked bodies) than on their car seat...

Yeah- it's a non-issue for me too but I know there are people here (and in my mom's groups) that are concerned.

Just posted it as an FYI for any interested. :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador

tam
But it's easy to find pjs without added chemicals (at least in Canada it is); not so easy to find a car seat without.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
TechnoGranola said:
But it's easy to find pjs without added chemicals (at least in Canada it is); not so easy to find a car seat without.

Yes, it's easy in the US, too. Pajamas have to be chemically treated OR tight-fitting (or homemade :whistle:). Car seats MUST be flame-retardant, which requires the use of chemicals of one kind or another.

tam_shops

Julia, sorry didn't mean to imply that it wasn't interesting! It was very interesting! I'm just surprised that enough people complained about it that they opted to stop using those chemicals...

There was someone here once that's dh was a fireman and he said the way car fires go it wouldn't have helped anyway. I'd still pick the chemical covered one, just in case the one second makes a difference, but...

Didn't realize the chemical in the pjs was also an American regulation. Recall from a Textiles Science class that it aged back to when girls wore lacey pjs and carried candles...

Jennie, you sew! How fun! I used to before I had kids, one of those ironic things in life! LOL Watch the fabrics you buy, some of them have the same chemicals in them too! LOL Impressed you know that the tight fitting ones don't have the same chemicals! I just buy a couple sizes bigger so they're not so tight...One of those silly regulations that make you wonder. Kids are far more likely to light their clothes on fire while playing w/ matches while mom makes dinner than while they're in bed! Though, one kid is one kid too many...

tam

jeminijad

Well, as long as flame retardants are still being used, I'm for safer ones.

Even a fireman can't tell if a kid's car seat resisted fire for an extra minute or so, once the fire is out. I wonder what kind of testing was done to deem retardants important in the first place, or if it was just that it seemed to make sense.

tam_shops

I would bet no actual testing was done, if it was they wouldn't get away w/ not using it now.

Isn't it an industry standard w/ car seat interior though? I assume that came about after multiple problems w/ accidents and/or cigarettes starting fire and injury to people and/or more damage to the car.

Further, if Britax opts to do this, what happens when someone that smokes has a window open and then an ash ignites the Britax seat their child is sitting in?

Will it be an option for those that smoke at least?

Personally, I prefer this kind of change to be an *option* so those that have an issue with it, can opt out...AND, they then put it on less flammable fabrics than say a Polyester that melts in seconds from the slightest bit of flame...

tam

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I would bet no actual testing was done, if it was they wouldn't get away w/ not using it now.

Isn't it an industry standard w/ car seat interior though? I assume that came about after multiple problems w/ accidents and/or cigarettes starting fire and injury to people and/or more damage to the car.

Further, if Britax opts to do this, what happens when someone that smokes has a window open and then an ash ignites the Britax seat their child is sitting in?

Will it be an option for those that smoke at least?

Personally, I prefer this kind of change to be an *option* so those that have an issue with it, can opt out...AND, they then put it on less flammable fabrics than say a Polyester that melts in seconds from the slightest bit of flame...

tam

They article says they are opting to use safer, non brominated, non chlorinated flame retardants; they aren't eliminating them.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
They're still using fire retardants, per the law, just ones that don't contain the most controversial chemicals.

ETA: I should clarify that the law doesn't require the use of chemicals, just that there is a flame-retardancy standard can't really be met otherwise.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC