Question about Expiration Dates on Britax

stiggygirl

Hello! We have a Britax Roundabout and a Britax Boulevard that were gifted to us and we keep in garage as emergency/spare seats for grandparents/babysitter/etc. They do not get used very often. The Roundabout was manufactured in Mar 2006 and the Boulevard Jan 2007. Do these seats have a 5 year expiration date or 7? I have heard both, so not sure which is accurate. And if it is 5 years, should I toss both of these seats and replace? Or keep using them since they are hardly ever used anyway?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ADS

Cryssy Jane

6 actually. Britax is 6 years from manufacture date on those seats so the 3/06 would be expired as of this month and the 1/07 would be expired january of next year. I would not continue to use a seat past expiration except in extreme emergency.

How old is your kiddo?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

stiggygirl

6 actually. Britax is 6 years from manufacture date on those seats so the 3/06 would be expired as of this month and the 1/07 would be expired january of next year. I would not continue to use a seat past expiration except in extreme emergency.

How old is your kiddo?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

I probably should have mentioned who rides in them, huh? My 20 month (31",26lb) toddler would ride in the (now expired) Roundabout and my almost 4 yo (41", 36lb) would ride in the Boulevard if they ever both needed to go in the back-up seats at the same time (which so far has never happened!). Looks like we have another year in that seat at least, so we'll just have to have 1 back-up seat for a while. So silly to spend a bunch of money on a seat for the garage, but I was thinking about going with the Diono for spare seats so they could also be travel seats. They ride in Frontier & Advocate in one car now/ Frontier and Marathon in other car- and none of those 4 are near expiration- yay!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I would NOT buy Radians as travel seats... they are too pricy... AND they weigh A TON... so they aren't the best travel seats.

I would look at an Evenflo Maestro for the 4 year old, and a 40#RF Scenera or Apt for the 20mo old for spares/travel seats. They are cheaper and lightweight, usually install easier than the radian (the Radian is known to be a difficult install in numerous vehicles) and pass all the same crash testing as the more expensive seats.

stiggygirl

I would NOT buy Radians as travel seats... they are too pricy... AND they weigh A TON... so they aren't the best travel seats.

I would look at an Evenflo Maestro for the 4 year old, and a 40#RF Scenera or Apt for the 20mo old for spares/travel seats. They are cheaper and lightweight, usually install easier than the radian (the Radian is known to be a difficult install in numerous vehicles) and pass all the same crash testing as the more expensive seats.

Thank you- I will look into those! I was liking the whole "backpack" feature of the Radian... not worth it though, huh?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
stiggygirl said:
Thank you- I will look into those! I was liking the whole "backpack" feature of the Radian... not worth it though, huh?

I personally love traveling with the Radian. Yes, it's heavy, but worn as a backpack, no big deal. Quite convenient, actually, IMO.

Jan06twinmom

I really like the Radian as a travel seat for a child who is already in the forward-facing position. I know that it's difficult or impossible to install rear-facing with the old boot. I'm not sure if the new angle adjuster will allow the seat to work rear-facing on an airplane. The ability to fold the seat does make it easier to lug through the airport and also to store in a small space in the closet. The weight of the Radian wasn't a problem for me since I had DH carry the car seat;)

If you want to consider the Radian as a travel seat, I would actually suggest replacing the Advocate and Marathons for everyday use. The Radian has more leg room for your rear-facing toddler. I also like it better as a forward-facing seat because it has such a low profile and gives children more leg room. It also lasts longer as a harness seat since it has a tall shell and high harness slots.

Melanie

stiggygirl

If you want to consider the Radian as a travel seat, I would actually suggest replacing the Advocate and Marathons for everyday use. The Radian has more leg room for your rear-facing toddler. I also like it better as a forward-facing seat because it has such a low profile and gives children more leg room. It also lasts longer as a harness seat since it has a tall shell and high harness slots.

Melanie

I was just discussing that with my husband last night- there is no way that nice (and expensive) of a seat is going to just sit in garage! We'd replace the Britax seat in his car for sure. We just recently purchased the Frontiers new, however, so we'll keep those (monstrous as they are!) for our older daughter, but the toddler would get the Radian as her every day seat in at least one car. Hoping to not have to buy 2 right off the bat, especially since learning we have 1 more year before expiration on one of the Britax seats. I really like the backpack idea... we have yet to travel on a plane with both kids, but I'd liek to think that will happen sometime before they are 120lbs ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC