Come one, come all. Opinions wanted.

HEVY

I have a 2000 Ford Windstar. It has a short bench in the mid row and long in the third. I have forever been looking for two captains seats for the mid row, but doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I almost got a second long bench, same color and year as my car, for only $10, but forgot about it :eek:

So now that DD is full time boostering :crying: and her friend is a frequent rider there is too much difficulty trying to buckle both boosters on the short bench.

So I have choices and will list them in order of preference.

Try harder to locate two captain seats and keep the third row. I would have the person I buy from to help me load the seats then bring to mechanic and have them install and get rid ofshort bench.

Locate a second third row and keep both third rows. Would have mechanic remove and get rid of short bench and have the person I'm buying from help me install.

Move mid row up and third row back and put them in the third row. I don't like the ide og the bench so close to the rear window and the sendon row separating us. Besides I still need to monitor the buckling.

Switch third row to middle and store short bench, or just remove short bench and leave long bench in third row (then we can't hand each other anything). I know many of you would choose this option since there are no children other than the two, but I like the fact that if needed I have the extra seating. Can have mechanic remove but then would need help to store because I wouldn't get rid of the short bench.

ADS

Phineasmama

So you could switch the 3rd row and the 2nd row benches as a temporary solution? I would probably do that and then keep looking for a good deal on either some captains chairs or another bench seat.

HEVY

The long bench can go in the middle or third row. The captains seats can go in the middle. The short bench can go in the middle, not the third.

henrietta

Personally, I would scrap ALL of that, and *if possible* go find two boosters that are easier for the kids to buckle--narrower, armrests that pivot, whatever.

My sil has a Windstar like yours and had two kids in boosters in that second row--a 10 yr old and a 6 yr old. It isn't easy, but it's doable. The younger one used his Nautilus as a booster, while the 10 yr old was in a Fisher Price booster (very narrow) and then an Evenflo backless. The Evenflo made it harder, BUT the Nautilus is very wide AND the Evenflo has pivoting armrests.

Try different combos of seats. What are the two kids riding in right now?

This would be a much easier, possibly much cheaper, solution. Plus, it would allow you to keep all of your seating. I personally think that trying to climb into the 3rd row, w/a wide bench in the 2nd row is pain for most.

Now, if that doesn't work--I'd be going for the captain's chairs. And that might solve some of the shoulder belt issues I see in the Windstar w/kids in boosters or who have just gotten out of them.

henrietta

monstah

I agree with henrietta.

Me? I'd get a couple LiteRiders provided the shoulderbelt is positioned properly. The options you listed are going to cost more money, be more work... just a pain. Your DD is 8? If you don't want LBB, get a Harmony HBB or two. No reason to make it so complicated. :thumbsup:

HEVY

I have the FR85 in booster and the PWSGL, I don't think I'll be getting rid of those anytime soon. They are the only HBB she can fit in and they are fairly new. It took two years to sell my Regents and I still can't get rid of the TB.

It's doable on the short bench, just a PITA. The buckles have no stalk, they are fabric and are just on the outside of the seat and are wobbly, this is what makes it most difficult, I can stick a hand in there but the way the buckles are you need two hands. But rachel was able to do it herself last night in the FR85, the PW is a bit harder.

I only have to pay for the seats.
Ford will do the moving for free :D. But there is a limit I would spend, I could probably get the CS for under $40, or a bench for less than $20. Wouldn't the booster cost the same or more?

Keeanh

Do you normally carry more than 4 people? Or more than 2 children at a time? If not, take out the middle row, move the 3rd row forward, and enjoy your giant trunk ;).

How long is this drive? Would it kill them to sit in different rows? One on the passenger side 3rd row, so you can check the seatbelt, and one in the middle bench?

Mysweethoneybee

When my older children were in seats I put the long bench in the middle row stored the middle row covered in plastic in the garage and had a huge trunk for groceries and stroller and tubs for extra clothes etc. Then when they were older and in seat belts only I found it easiest to have the long bench in the back and I could load groceries and kids all in one door.
Now I have 3 kids and I have the youngest in a captains chair and the older ones sit in the back row and one captain chair is stored.
So I guess if I had your situation I would store the middle bench and move the back bench up to the middle.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I would move the third tow to the second. Store the middle for now. Keep looking for the captains seats. This is what i did. Well, didn't look for new seats, since I didn't want them.

HEVY

I would move the third tow to the second. Store the middle for now. Keep looking for the captains seats. This is what i did. Well, didn't look for new seats, since I didn't want them.

This is what I think I'm going to have to do, it's an acceptable solution. Gosh I really want captains chairs.

Thanks you all.

keri1292

I would also consider keeping three boosters in the car. Two in the 3rd row and dud's favorite in the second. She can just ride in the back when her friend is in the car. :) It would be a bonus if friend fit in the turbobooster. No need to buy or really do anything.

HEVY

The TB won't work, except without the back. Rachel's friend has a longer torso than she does. When her friend is with us it's usually for long rides, 2+ hours. As appealing as it might sound I am not going to buy another HHB, lol.

I don't think I would feel comfortable driving another child in a NBB, or mine either, lol, she just started full time boostering.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC