A fake three across in a Matrix

Cilia

So we are now looking into a booster for DD1 in my car. I need to be able to install one seat in the center since I cannot put anyone in that position (does not have a head rest). I have either a rf EFTA or RA50 that need to go right next to the booster. Does anyone know of a booster that will work?

I tried the Evenflo Big kid in the middle today and that does not work. Stupid of me not to try it outboard, but nope, I didn't think of that.

After trying the big kid in the center, I started to think that it might be better with the rf seat in the middle, but like I said, I have not yet tried it. The two problems with the big kid booster in the middle was that it is airborne on the side without a car seat and the armrest does not fit under either on the other two seats, so they end up pushing the Booster over --> making it airborne.. Since I currently have the EFTA, rf, and RA50, ff, right next to each other, I feel like I should be able to get a booster next to one of those two seats.

Has anyone done that? Managed to get a rf EFTA or RA50 next to a booster in a Matrix? If so, which booster did you use?

Also the booster has to fit a small, skinny kid.

ADS

lovemybabybug

I don't have either of those, but is you vehicle seat slightly raised in the Center? If so I think you should be able to put an AMP or a Turbo next to the MA. I can make either of those two work with a MyRide in the center or my small Pontiac car, but not the other way around. The way the seat is contoured if makes it a tad bit higher in the middle that the booster fits right under the edge of the car seat.

tam_shops

05 Matrix

Outboard driver:middle:Outboard Passenger
Turbo w/ handles down:RF MA: RF RN

BAD fit w/ Turbo:GN: RF RN

Though, the RN is Latch install and if it were seat belt install, there is an inch or two on that side that might make it work.

There is something great about how wide the MA is but how high it is that the LBB arms fit right under it.

Doubt you're going to do it with out a RN, know I could not. Perhaps, maybe a Bubblebum???

The Outboard Passenger side is more narrow than the Driver side, so taht will also make a difference.

The Graco LBB is too wide at the BACK to fit in the spot that the booster (butt) is supposed to go, it sits too far forward to get the kids butt onto the booster. I did it once, didn't realize having changed the MA to a GN that it wouldn't fit anymore and we were going 2 block on side streets, I'd warned the mom the belt fit was bad and she didn't worry about it, but *still*, made me sick. There is *no* way I'd do it again.

Oh, one other thing I've wondered if it'd fit better w/ the RN middle and GN outboard passenger, but have yet to try it...

Best of luck!

tam

Cilia

05 Matrix

Outboard driver:middle:Outboard Passenger
Turbo w/ handles down:RF MA: RF RN

BAD fit w/ Turbo:GN: RF RN

Though, the RN is Latch install and if it were seat belt install, there is an inch or two on that side that might make it work.

There is something great about how wide the MA is but how high it is that the LBB arms fit right under it.

Doubt you're going to do it with out a RN, know I could not. Perhaps, maybe a Bubblebum???

The Outboard Passenger side is more narrow than the Driver side, so taht will also make a difference.

The Graco LBB is too wide at the BACK to fit in the spot that the booster (butt) is supposed to go, it sits too far forward to get the kids butt onto the booster. I did it once, didn't realize having changed the MA to a GN that it wouldn't fit anymore and we were going 2 block on side streets, I'd warned the mom the belt fit was bad and she didn't worry about it, but *still*, made me sick. There is *no* way I'd do it again.

Oh, one other thing I've wondered if it'd fit better w/ the RN middle and GN outboard passenger, but have yet to try it...

Best of luck!

tam

Thanks! I will try putting the booster I have outboard and see if that works. If not I'm sure based on your reply that a Turbo will work. DD1 will be happy to hear that since she would love a Megan...

momtotwogirls

Im not sure if you'll fit anything. I can fit a rf radian outbaord passenger with e frontier 85 in the middle but because of how the seats split there isnt really a "whole" seat on the driver side. I cannot fit the radian driver side and frontier middle it has to be passenger. Mine is an 03.

Cilia

Just to clarify: I do no need three car seats in the back. Just two, one rf and one booster. I want to be able to seat a small adult next to the car seats, which is why I called it a fake three across. Three people, but not three car seats.

momtotwogirls

try the rf seat in the middle and booster outboard passenger then. I can fit the radian center with the frontier outboard I just dont like how close to the door the frontier is.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would try the RA50 RF in the center and then a variety next to it. I bet a Literider would fit, so what about the Harmony HBB?

Mamasboys

I drive a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (essentially identical interior to the Matris). I've got a RA55 installed center and a Literider outboard, and it's a great fit. I second the suggestion to try the Harmony HBB. I used to have a Graco TB, but it never quite sat against the seat right, due to the slight sculpture of the outboard seats.

I like this setup best, the passenger OB position fits my teenager (5'4" 110lbs) and myself (5'6" average weight) just fine.

tam_shops

I've never tried the Harmony, but certainly agree that the Graco LBB doesn't fit the back of the seat very well, especially in a tight 3 across. It fit better when my MA was in the better and there was more room, but if I were sitting beside a booster, I think I'd rather have a harmony which is smaller/shorter and would be nicer to sit beside.

The Graco LBB is more square, though I thought it was an inch more narrow than the Harmony.

And, it sounds like the 03 and 05 Matrix have the wider seat on opposite sides of the car. The 05 Matrix has the narrow seat behind the Passenger. The single ride passenger seat is behind the driver and wider.

tam

brooklynsmommy

I haven't read all the responses, but if you need some seats to try out for fit that you don't have, I have a few you can try out.

Cilia

I haven't read all the responses, but if you need some seats to try out for fit that you don't have, I have a few you can try out.

Sounds great! What kind of boosters do you have? If you have any that fit skinny kids well, I am more than happy to meet up for a playdate. Well, I'm always up for playdates. :eek: But maybe not just right now. I've got my parents coming back to town tomorrow.

I actually did try the RA50 in the middle today and I can for sure get our Big kid next to it on the passenger side without any problem. It also fits behind the driver, but I am not too happy about how it fits there. I also want to try the EFTA in the middle, but was not up for it today.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC