Question i want a truck

B

BenS

Okay theres like 2 questions cause i know nothing about the laws i want a truck and my daughter is 9 months old. 1if i got a extended cab would it be okay in the back? 2 if i got a single cab would it be okay if she was rf with no airbag in the passanger seat ?

ADS

luckyclov

At 9 months old, she's still rear-facing. Safety-wise, you want to keep her rear-facing (RF) for as long as possible, too (at least until the age of 2, but preferably beyond 2 if she still fits RFing height and weight wise in her car seat). She's 5 times safer RFing.:)

Are you looking at any particular kind of truck? Or just trucks, in genereal, with no specifics in mind?

To answer your question, in a regular-cab truck (that without a back seat of any sort), yes, you most certainly can place a car seat in the passenger seat, preferably rear-facing (for as long as possible), if it is not equipped with airbags OR there is a *manual* turn-off key/switch to disable the passenger side airbag. In this scenario, you'd want to keep her rear-facing for as long as possible because, yes, it's safer, but also because in that seating position there would be no top tether anchor for a forward-facing car seat. And you want to top tether all FF seats, if at all possible (it reduces head excursion/forward movement). It sounds like you know this already, but just for good measure to those who may search later, you should NEVER place a RF child in front of an airbag.

In an extended-cab, you can place any child car seat in the back that will properly install (in accordance with the child seat manual AND vehicle manual). For the bulk of car seats (and may also factor in with the vehicle manufacturer), that means having enough room for your RF install not to touch/brace the front seats and also enough vehicle seat bottom to have at least 80% of the car seat in contact with the vehicle seat after installation. It's definitely not impossible - people do it successfully all the time. It's just the matter of WHAT truck and WHAT car seat, know what I mean?

Hope that helps a little. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC