Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    shygurl1227

What car seat will fit in a 17 inch airplane seat?

I have to get a new carseat for our son and my husband and I were not sure which one to get. We fly alot, and want an faa approved car seat. We found a couple.

Evenflo Momentum 65 DLX E3 Convertible Car Seat which is 20 inches in dimensions

Dorel Alpha Omega Elite All in one
    22 inches in dimensions

The First Years True Fit Recline Convertible Car Seat 19.5 inches

Dorel Safety 1st Complete Air 65 18 inches dimensions

or do we actualy have to get a 17 in carseat?

this one is 17 in: Diono Radian R100

The first 4 are in our price range. So I was just wondering. Thank you very much for any answers.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor Pixelated's Avatar

Re: What car seat will fit in a 17 inch airplane seat?

I believe the Scenera, and the Onside Air (both Safety 1st) are 17" wide. I was out with a measuring tape for my sister flying Air New Zealand, and these are the two that fit the bill. She ended up going with a Scenera and it did meet those strict requirements. It's also lightweight and inexpensive. A Classic Marathon with the base it sits up on also installs well, as the plane's arm rest fits under the shell of the seat.

Most seats fit in the plane fine -- it just depends on how strict the airline is about whether it has to fit with the arm rest down.
    Jen ~ Canadian CPST-IT with CPSAC

CPS Fanatic

Re: What car seat will fit in a 17 inch airplane seat?

Most car seats are approved for airline travel. Most of them also will fit on the plane, but you might need to put up the armrest in order to have the side-to-side space that you need for the seat.

How big and old is your son? Any of those seats may work, but it would be helpful to know more about your specific child to make a recommendation.

Also, is your preference to have a car seat in your main car that you also use for flying? Or do you want to buy a specific car seat for flying, and maybe that you can use in a secondary car or for occasional use? I only flew with my twins about 1x a year, so we would just use our regular car seats on the plane.

Melanie

5. Thank You from: