What car seat will fit in a 17 inch airplane seat?

S

shygurl1227

I have to get a new carseat for our son and my husband and I were not sure which one to get. We fly alot, and want an faa approved car seat. We found a couple.

Evenflo Momentum 65 DLX E3 Convertible Car Seat which is 20 inches in dimensions

Dorel Alpha Omega Elite All in one
22 inches in dimensions

The First Years True Fit Recline Convertible Car Seat 19.5 inches

Dorel Safety 1st Complete Air 65 18 inches dimensions

or do we actualy have to get a 17 in carseat?

this one is 17 in: Diono Radian R100

The first 4 are in our price range. So I was just wondering. Thank you very much for any answers.

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I believe the Scenera, and the Onside Air (both Safety 1st) are 17" wide. I was out with a measuring tape for my sister flying Air New Zealand, and these are the two that fit the bill. She ended up going with a Scenera and it did meet those strict requirements. It's also lightweight and inexpensive. A Classic Marathon with the base it sits up on also installs well, as the plane's arm rest fits under the shell of the seat.

Most seats fit in the plane fine -- it just depends on how strict the airline is about whether it has to fit with the arm rest down.

Jan06twinmom

Most car seats are approved for airline travel. Most of them also will fit on the plane, but you might need to put up the armrest in order to have the side-to-side space that you need for the seat.

How big and old is your son? Any of those seats may work, but it would be helpful to know more about your specific child to make a recommendation.

Also, is your preference to have a car seat in your main car that you also use for flying? Or do you want to buy a specific car seat for flying, and maybe that you can use in a secondary car or for occasional use? I only flew with my twins about 1x a year, so we would just use our regular car seats on the plane.

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC