Switching Nautilus buckles

love-pink

Im going to swap the new style buckle out for the old style buckle on my GN is okay to use the newer harness straps with the older buckle?? I have no idea where I would have put the actual old harness :eek:

I emailed Graco and they have no problems switching out the buckle styles but I guess I didnt ask if I had to change out the entire harness :rolleyes:

ADS

Baylor

love-pink said:
Im going to swap the new style buckle out for the old style buckle on my GN is okay to use the newer harness straps with the older buckle?? I have no idea where I would have put the actual old harness :eek:

I emailed Graco and they have no problems switching out the buckle styles but I guess I didnt ask if I had to change out the entire harness :rolleyes:

I wouldn't without getting that specifically okayed.

auto correct hates me

Brianna

Baylor said:
Pretty sure brianna got a reply from graco that said its not safe

auto correct hates me

That was for swapping between MR and Argos.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

love-pink

My buckle is from the gn going onto a gn. I got an okay from graco to do so. I'm just wondering if I can use the same harness that is on there and just swap the buckle parts ;)

Did anyone notice the adjuster strap is still the older style type material? I wonder why they switched the older style material was definitely thicker and less likely to twist.

YinzerMama

Are you asking if the new tongues will fit in the old buckle? No, they won't. You have to swap everything. It's not too hard to do though.

(I had an elaborate sceme to buy an old Nauti from Sears, swap the buckle with the new nauti from Target, and return the old one to sears with the new buckle... but was too scared to actually go through with it. But I tried it. I ended up returning both with their original buckles. If you can find a nauti for sale in the tall skinny box, it will have the old style buckles... )

(I actually hate the new buckle enough to consider breaking the law... but did not, in the end)

love-pink

YinzerMama said:
Are you asking if the new tongues will fit in the old buckle? No, they won't. You have to swap everything. It's not too hard to do though.

(I had an elaborate sceme to buy an old Nauti from Sears, swap the buckle with the new nauti from Target, and return the old one to sears with the new buckle... but was too scared to actually go through with it. But I tried it. I ended up returning both with their original buckles. If you can find a nauti for sale in the tall skinny box, it will have the old style buckles... )

(I actually hate the new buckle enough to consider breaking the law... but did not, in the end)

No. I have the whole buckle assembly. Just can't find my old harness. Nautilus with the new style buckle are sold in both the small and tall boxes ;)

YinzerMama

Do you mean you have the plastic and metal buckle parts but no fabric harness? Like, there would be sewing involved in this scheme?

love-pink

YinzerMama said:
Do you mean you have the plastic and metal buckle parts but no fabric harness? Like, there would be sewing involved in this scheme?

Sewing??! No you just slide the buckles off the fabric harness. I have the buckle pieces but not the old fabric harness. Not sure how much clearer I can word that.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Seeing as they've changed the type of harness webbing used along with the new buckle, I wouldn't swap them out unless Graco said it was okay. And I wouldn't take the word of any CSR, I'd probably want to hear directly from Carol or one of the engineers. Perhaps the new buckle warranted a harness webbing change for it to perform the same in crash tests, we don't know.

Mae

No, you can't just swap out the buckle and not the harness. The harness and buckle tongs are different from old to new; the new tongs won't buckle into an old crotch strap and vice versa. So if you want to use an old style crotch buckle, you've gotta swap out the whole kit and caboodle. :)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
She has buckle AND tongues, it's just the fabric harness she's asking about. LP, I would call Graco. Like the others said, the harness switch was made at the same time as the buckle so that would concern me greatly.

morlando27

Please post back with the response you get from Graco. I was considering doing the same thing but didn't realize the harness webbing had also changed. I was planning to buy a new Nautilus and switch buckles with someone who just started using the Nautilus in booster mode. She washed the harness so I can only do it if I can't just switch the hardware.

YinzerMama

For some reason I was thinking the tongues were sewn in place on the harness. I know what you mean now. Sorry, just dense. :D

morlando27

OK, thanks. If I can't switch the buckles out on the Nautilus, I still might buy one for my car and put either the TF or CA in MIL's car. That might work out better anyway since she could more easily adjust it for my DN to use as well. I know I'll make sure GN is buckled properly but fear MIL might not realize that the tongues aren't clicked in all the way. Regardless, I'd still appreciate knowing whether Graco okays the hardware switch.

YinzerMama

Graco has never answered an email for me... but they do seem to answer posts on the FB page. I would call or FB. I'd assume if you post to FB though they will say "We don't know."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC