Roundabout 50 and LATCH

Cilia

Today I installed my RA50 ff in two different cars using LATCH and I hated it! I have had three different Britax seats (RA and MA classic and then this RA50) and the RA50 is by far the hardest one to install using LATCH ff. I don't really know why that is, but the ends of the LATCH connectors end up right by the base of the seat and that makes it really hard to pull the webbing tight. The angle of the connectors together with the end, not a good mix.

I have to admit that I was surprised. I chose to do a LATCH install because they tend to be quicker, but to be honest, I don't think they were. I usually just have it seat belted in and that is way easier. I will have to look at my expired RA and see if the connectors look different than on the RA50.

Has anyone else had this problem? I mean, this is always easy to install Britax we're talking about here...

ADS

canadiangie

Yes, I can think of a few instances where the adjusters have hit the bars. By that point the seat was more than tightly installed, though. I could have loosened things off a bit and still had a solid install. How tight is your install at the point when the adjusters hit? Acceptable? Remember, shake the car tight isn't necessary... You're looking for less than 1 inch of movement side to side at the belt path.

(or am I misunderstanding your post?)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The RA50 has the single strap without the two bars, right? I've only ever done it RF with LATCH and it wasn't a problem then but I found seatbelt so easy I just usually did that if I was choosing... What was the location of the lower anchors in these vehicles, out of curiosity? Very shallow, close to the bight? Or more recessed?

MoreLatte

I've had the exact same problem with mine rearfacing. There's something not right about the angle of the strap when latched in. There was slack in the latch belt but because of the angle, I couldn't tighten it any more. The install would seem acceptable, without more than an inch of movement but after a day or two the seat was over reclined.

I also had owned marathons in the past and never had a problem so I've been disappointed. I called Britax and she didn't really seem to get my explanation of what was happening. I finally had to install it without the recline, get it as tight as I could then recline it (RF install) and so far, so good. I'm at a point I'm ready to just replace it with a MA. I tried my RA40 in the same spot and had no issues at all.

Cilia

So when I re-installed the RA50 today I took some pics to show the difference in LATCH connectors and what is causing the issue.

First out is a photo of the old style connector that is on my expired RA.
DSCN9072.jpg
[/IMG]

And here is one of the connector on the RA50.
DSCN9073.jpg
[/IMG]

You can tell that the webbing is attached to the connector in a different way and it is the D-ring that the webbing is attached to that causes the problem.

MoreLatte

They are different on mine too. The strap is rotated where it's connected to the connector. Although Britax told me it isn't different.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ah, the non-handed connectors are causing you a problem? Interesting. I'm thinking it would have a lot to do with positioning of the lower anchors whether it is an issue in a particular car or not.

Cilia

Ah, the non-handed connectors are causing you a problem? Interesting. I'm thinking it would have a lot to do with positioning of the lower anchors whether it is an issue in a particular car or not.

It took me a while to figure out what you meat with non-handed, :eek: but yeah, that's why. I prefer the right handed version.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC