I need some more info and user experience on the Argos

DAR

After I was rear-ended in December, my DH was rear-ended last week and the insurance company is letting us replace the unoccupied car seats with similar seats.

I am having problems with youngest DS's seat yet again. We had a FFing Marathon in the middle of DH's Sierra Crew Cab. DH uses this truck for work and does not want a RFing seat in it (boys do not often ride in the truck). I am thinking of taking the Nautilus out of my parents car and using if for DS#2 in the truck and replacing the Marathon with an Argos that I will give to my parents.

My parents pick up DS#1 a bit from pre-school and every once and a while will take DS#2. They do not have the boys together in the car and either switch car seats or in an emergency place DS#2 in the Nautilus at DS#1's setting. I am thinking an Argos would be ideal for them, but have been reading old posts and not seen glowing reviews. My parents need something easy and I am wondering how easy would it be to adjust the height for the boys from one to the other?

I am also open to other recommendations for DH's truck if you think I am doing the wrong thing.

DS#1 is 4 1/2 and 51 lbs and 46 inches
DS# 2 is 33 months and 32 lbs and 38 inches.

DS# 2 is in a RF My Ride 65 (thanks for the recommendations- DS loves this seat!) and DS#1 is in a Frontier 85 in my Tahoe.
Thanks again for your help keeping us safe.

ADS

mamakc

I don't have experience with the argos, but I do have experience with seat-sharing and I think the complete air lx is hands down the easiest seat I have used to switch between users. I regularly switch it between a rf 1yo & ff 3.5yo. So if you want to keep ds2 rf that might be another option to consider.

Reactions: DAR

DAR

I don't have experience with the argos, but I do have experience with seat-sharing and I think the complete air lx is hands down the easiest seat I have used to switch between users. I regularly switch it between a rf 1yo & ff 3.5yo. So if you want to keep ds2 rf that might be another option to consider.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just looked, I think it only goes to 50 lbs and DS#1 is already 51 lbs. He is a BIG 4 year old (95% height and weight). DS#2 is tall, but skinnier.

glockchick

How tall is your son? The CA only goes to 40" rear facing though some people choose to disregard that rule.

Can't help ya on the Argos question. Sorry.

canadiangie

There was a thread a few days ago about the Argos being an absolute beast to tighten. So beastly that the poster returned it.

I can't think who posted the thread or in which sub forum though, sorry. Maybe try searching.

Mattkarn

We have an Argos that is used as a daily seat and have no tightening problems. It is very easy to adjust the headrest while installed and everything! No complaints at all! :)

Reactions: DAR

Little Ps Mama

It sounds like you're planning to have your younger son FF in your parents' vehicle? If that's the case, I'd also suggest the Complete Air 65. It's super easy to adjust.

DAR

Yes, I am planning to FF in my parents car because he only rides in it once a month. My youngest is with me 99.8% of the time and it is only if I have a Doctors appointment or something that I cannot bring my youngest to that he will not be with me. I have just had a few of those things pop up recently and while my Dad has tried to install the car seat correctly, he just not get it.

When I told my Dad my oldest was too heavy for latch on his Nautilus and explained he had to run a seatbelt through the carseat and take off the latch, you would not believe how DS came home :eek: Latch still attached in a harness with a seatbelt running like he was in a booster. :eek::eek::eek: My Dad still asks if this would be safer then the correct way. :confused:

I just need to keep it simple and installed. Both my parents are tall and ride together in a Volvo x60 which does not have a ton of room to RF in the back. I have a Truefit that they can use for long trips, but for around town they have just been using DS's Nautilus or putting the true fit in FFing so they have leg room.

ETA: If my parents do start volunteering to help with DS it would be next fall when he is 3 at the earliest and still would just be a few miles to their house from pre-school. At the rate they are going DS will be 4 before they take him anywhere.

DAR

There was a thread a few days ago about the Argos being an absolute beast to tighten. So beastly that the poster returned it.

I can't think who posted the thread or in which sub forum though, sorry. Maybe try searching.

I read that thread and it is what scared me! Until then I was not even going to post as I thought I had found a dream seat. That is why I wanted to see what had happened with people that had actually kept it and used it. I was hoping that maybe some regular posters here had one.

DAR

We have an Argos that is used as a daily seat and have no tightening problems. It is very easy to adjust the headrest while installed and everything! No complaints at all! :)

Thanks! Do you know if the clips are the same as the My Ride 65- I have one that is a few months old. I am assuming when you say the headrest is easy to adjust, you mean you are switching the height? I watched the video at Babies R Us. Unfortunately we live over an hour away from Babies R Us and only have Target nearby so I will not get a chance to try it before I buy it.

Do you have any experience with the Nautilus if so, are they same shape except for the way the straps are run? In some of the pictures the head wings look more extended.

YinzerMama

how does the lx compare to the non-lx? i have a friend looking for a seat for her husband's car that would be used sometimes rf sometimess ff for different height kids.

love-pink

It was my thread:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=216190

I took the Argos back and bought a regular Nautilus and couldn't be happier. There was no way I would expect anyone else to be able to tighten that seat correctly. It took me pulling down with all my weight numerous times to get it remotely tight :mad:

I had been looking forward to that seat since it came out and I was so disappointed once I got it.

Would a True Fit work for you? That seat is a dream to install and adjust for different sized riders. Is buying 2 seats completely out of the question? Sorry if that was already addressed, dd is clinging to me :eek:

love-pink

Also if you do end up wanting to try the Argos try to order somewhere with free return shipping that way if it is difficult for you you can send it back ;)

mamakc

YinzerMama said:
how does the lx compare to the non-lx? i have a friend looking for a seat for her husband's car that would be used sometimes rf sometimess ff for different height kids.

I'm assuming you are talking about the ca. The lx has a reclining base. It makes a rolled towel or noodle unnecessary in most cases rf. The non lx usually needs something to help get a good angle rf.

WhatAboutPuppy

I just played around with the Argos last week... And loved it. It looks exactly like the nautilus in size and shape. I didn't notice any great difference in head wings but I haven't seen the two side by side.
I helped with a nautilus the week before and I noticed the Nauti and Argos both adjust the headrest the same way (on the Argos the harness is included in the headrest adjustment of course)... The owner of the Nauti had vehicle headrest that were snug against the back of the carseats headrest meaning that you couldn't adjust the headrest without uninstalling.
If you remove the vehicle headrest adjusting the headrest is just fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC