Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

booster for sensory kid

Hi!

I'm looking for a booster for our 6 year old who has some sensory issues and doesn't really like to feel "open". The Parkway and TurboBooster both seem to feel too open to him. The Monterey seems okay at the tightest setting but we're a little concerned about the shoulder belt guide issue as this may need to be used in a variety of vehicles for car-pooling. He liked the ProBooster but again it will be used in a variety of vehicles so we're concerned about the tippy factor. We are currently leaning towards a Recaro Vivo but haven't been able to try one. He's 48", 47#, and right AT the top slots of our TFP. I'd love some feedback on the Vivo, if other kids who like to feel "enclosed" like it, and if there is something else we should be looking at.

Thanks!
    Three cool kiddos:
    DS1 - 2/06 - HBB
    DS2 - 8/09 - ERF
    DD - 8/14 - RF

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: booster for sensory kid

The Vivo is more closed in. The wings are pretty big.

There is that Dorel one...that looks like a giraffe. Big wings. I will go look for pics.

ETA: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=136337

Carseat Crazy

Are there any downsides to the Vivo? Complaints about it?
    Three cool kiddos:
    DS1 - 2/06 - HBB
    DS2 - 8/09 - ERF
    DD - 8/14 - RF

The leg depths isn't great.

Carseat Crazy

So legs start to fall asleep? Is that something a foam cooler under the feet could resolve on a longer trip or does it lead to slouching?

Also, I should clarify that when I say he wants to be enclosed, it mostly the torso area he wants to be hugged in. The giraffe one still looks pretty open on the sides. Is that not the case?
    Three cool kiddos:
    DS1 - 2/06 - HBB
    DS2 - 8/09 - ERF
    DD - 8/14 - RF

Oh, sorry, yeah that is open on the sides.

The legs, well some kids complain, some don't. a cooler, pillows, something soft of the floor with help with that.

I think I have pics of a leggy kiddo in one. I will go check.

Carseat Crazy

Hi! We finally ordered and received our VIVO. He LOOOOOVES those wings and the cushiness even after just sitting in it for a minute in the driveway. However, the manufacture date is August 2010. Is this seat discontinued? Is this as good as were going to get regarding manufacture date? Thanks!
    Three cool kiddos:
    DS1 - 2/06 - HBB
    DS2 - 8/09 - ERF
    DD - 8/14 - RF

How much did you pay?

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    How much did you pay?
    Well, it was $89.99 from BuyBuyBaby but we ordered it from the store (& they shipped it to our house) so we were able to use a 20% off coupon. I went to the store today and they said they couldn't get anything newer so they refunded me $12.85 to account for 1/3rd of the life gone. So, in the end, the total was $59.98. I'm actually mostly okay with that resolution. I was mostly just wondering if there are more recent manufacture dates out there since this would ideally get passed down to little brother in 4 years or so but likely won't now with just 4 years 4 months left on it or he'll only get a few months of use out of it. I still have it in the box because if there are current manufacture dates, we like the seat enough to consider returning this one and getting one with a newer date from elsewhere.
    Three cool kiddos:
    DS1 - 2/06 - HBB
    DS2 - 8/09 - ERF
    DD - 8/14 - RF

Well, for that price, I think you did good. Really, who knows what awesome boosters we will h ave in 4 1/2 years, right?

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

There are more recent dates of manufacture out there, because they're still producing it. They may just be sold out at the warehouse right now- they tend to produce in "bunches" of batches as they get more gone.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

OK. Thanks! We decided to keep it. You're right. Who knows what will be out in four years or if we will even need an extra one at that time. We'll cross that bridge when we get there! Thanks!
    Three cool kiddos:
    DS1 - 2/06 - HBB
    DS2 - 8/09 - ERF
    DD - 8/14 - RF

Does your son do okay with not being able to lock the seat belt? My 6 yo also has sensory issues and had issues with the recarro probooster because we couldn't lock the belt (and it was tippy). I ordered a parkway to replace it with (it will be here today) but now I'm worried because my son also likes to feel enclosed in his seat!

Carseat Crazy

So, I had left a message with Recaro yesterday before I posted here. I got a vm back from them today. They said if one wants a later manufacturing date to choose one of the new "fashion" colors: bella, dakota, or river.

The vm went on to say to keep a lookout for an extension on the 6 year "recommendation" for their boosters (not pro-rides or pro-sports). Interesting.
    Three cool kiddos:
    DS1 - 2/06 - HBB
    DS2 - 8/09 - ERF
    DD - 8/14 - RF

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Kendrab2315 View Post
    Does your son do okay with not being able to lock the seat belt? My 6 yo also has sensory issues and had issues with the recarro probooster because we couldn't lock the belt (and it was tippy). I ordered a parkway to replace it with (it will be here today) but now I'm worried because my son also likes to feel enclosed in his seat!
    I didn't see that in the VIVO manual but did not read every word. Does it say not to lock the seatbelt in the probooster manual? One of the reasons we chose the VIVO over the pro booster was the tipsiness issue on the pro booster. DS rode in the VIVO for the 25 minute commute to school this morning and was very pleased. He does do fine with the seatbelt not being locked. Sometimes he locks it but it seems to be uninentionally. I guess I need to find out if you aren't supposed to lock with the VIVO so I can tell him.
    Three cool kiddos:
    DS1 - 2/06 - HBB
    DS2 - 8/09 - ERF
    DD - 8/14 - RF

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Would a weighted vest not be appropriate in this case?
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Quote Originally Posted by Leche Mami View Post
    I didn't see that in the VIVO manual but did not read every word. Does it say not to lock the seatbelt in the probooster manual? One of the reasons we chose the VIVO over the pro booster was the tipsiness issue on the pro booster. DS rode in the VIVO for the 25 minute commute to school this morning and was very pleased. He does do fine with the seatbelt not being locked. Sometimes he locks it but it seems to be uninentionally. I guess I need to find out if you aren't supposed to lock with the VIVO so I can tell him.
    It did say it in the probooster manual and I think someone else commented on one of my posts that it is the same with the VIVO but I did not see it personally. That was the deciding reason I chose to parkway over it. I'm glad it works with your son!