booster for sensory kid

Leche Mami

Hi!

I'm looking for a booster for our 6 year old who has some sensory issues and doesn't really like to feel "open". The Parkway and TurboBooster both seem to feel too open to him. The Monterey seems okay at the tightest setting but we're a little concerned about the shoulder belt guide issue as this may need to be used in a variety of vehicles for car-pooling. He liked the ProBooster but again it will be used in a variety of vehicles so we're concerned about the tippy factor. We are currently leaning towards a Recaro Vivo but haven't been able to try one. He's 48", 47#, and right AT the top slots of our TFP. I'd love some feedback on the Vivo, if other kids who like to feel "enclosed" like it, and if there is something else we should be looking at.

Thanks!

ADS

Leche Mami

So legs start to fall asleep? Is that something a foam cooler under the feet could resolve on a longer trip or does it lead to slouching?

Also, I should clarify that when I say he wants to be enclosed, it mostly the torso area he wants to be hugged in. The giraffe one still looks pretty open on the sides. Is that not the case?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Oh, sorry, yeah that is open on the sides.

The legs, well some kids complain, some don't. a cooler, pillows, something soft of the floor with help with that.

I think I have pics of a leggy kiddo in one. I will go check.

Leche Mami

Hi! We finally ordered and received our VIVO. He LOOOOOVES those wings and the cushiness even after just sitting in it for a minute in the driveway. However, the manufacture date is August 2010. Is this seat discontinued? Is this as good as were going to get regarding manufacture date? Thanks!

Leche Mami

How much did you pay?

Well, it was $89.99 from BuyBuyBaby but we ordered it from the store (& they shipped it to our house) so we were able to use a 20% off coupon. I went to the store today and they said they couldn't get anything newer so they refunded me $12.85 to account for 1/3rd of the life gone. So, in the end, the total was $59.98. I'm actually mostly okay with that resolution. I was mostly just wondering if there are more recent manufacture dates out there since this would ideally get passed down to little brother in 4 years or so but likely won't now with just 4 years 4 months left on it or he'll only get a few months of use out of it. I still have it in the box because if there are current manufacture dates, we like the seat enough to consider returning this one and getting one with a newer date from elsewhere.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well, for that price, I think you did good. Really, who knows what awesome boosters we will h ave in 4 1/2 years, right?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are more recent dates of manufacture out there, because they're still producing it. They may just be sold out at the warehouse right now- they tend to produce in "bunches" of batches as they get more gone.

Leche Mami

OK. Thanks! We decided to keep it. You're right. Who knows what will be out in four years or if we will even need an extra one at that time. We'll cross that bridge when we get there! Thanks!

Kendrab2315

Does your son do okay with not being able to lock the seat belt? My 6 yo also has sensory issues and had issues with the recarro probooster because we couldn't lock the belt (and it was tippy). I ordered a parkway to replace it with (it will be here today) but now I'm worried because my son also likes to feel enclosed in his seat!

Leche Mami

So, I had left a message with Recaro yesterday before I posted here. I got a vm back from them today. They said if one wants a later manufacturing date to choose one of the new "fashion" colors: bella, dakota, or river.

The vm went on to say to keep a lookout for an extension on the 6 year "recommendation" for their boosters (not pro-rides or pro-sports). Interesting.

Leche Mami

Does your son do okay with not being able to lock the seat belt? My 6 yo also has sensory issues and had issues with the recarro probooster because we couldn't lock the belt (and it was tippy). I ordered a parkway to replace it with (it will be here today) but now I'm worried because my son also likes to feel enclosed in his seat!

I didn't see that in the VIVO manual but did not read every word. Does it say not to lock the seatbelt in the probooster manual? One of the reasons we chose the VIVO over the pro booster was the tipsiness issue on the pro booster. DS rode in the VIVO for the 25 minute commute to school this morning and was very pleased. He does do fine with the seatbelt not being locked. Sometimes he locks it but it seems to be uninentionally. I guess I need to find out if you aren't supposed to lock with the VIVO so I can tell him.

Kendrab2315

I didn't see that in the VIVO manual but did not read every word. Does it say not to lock the seatbelt in the probooster manual? One of the reasons we chose the VIVO over the pro booster was the tipsiness issue on the pro booster. DS rode in the VIVO for the 25 minute commute to school this morning and was very pleased. He does do fine with the seatbelt not being locked. Sometimes he locks it but it seems to be uninentionally. I guess I need to find out if you aren't supposed to lock with the VIVO so I can tell him.

It did say it in the probooster manual and I think someone else commented on one of my posts that it is the same with the VIVO but I did not see it personally. That was the deciding reason I chose to parkway over it. I'm glad it works with your son!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC