3 Snugrides in a Honda Pilot . . .

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
are a perfect fit!! We had an expectant momma at our seatcheck today who will be having triplets in May. She had 3 Sungride 22's and we got all 3 nicely installed across the center seat of her Honda Pilot. It was a fun check. :)

ADS

Phineasmama

I'm sure the chances of her going out and getting 3 different seats at this point are even less likely than the babies fitting in them well :eek:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Well if she just bought them, she can return them. I've done a fitting at work with good-size, 36 week triplets who went home at 4 days old. One was in a Snugride 22 that we switched out with a hospital freebie seat (the Assura), one was in a Combi Centre (that one actually fit ok, but barely, and only for the biggest baby who was 6lb) and the 3rd in an Evenflo Embrace, which fit great.

cookie123

That's the thing. People really don't understand that their seat won't fit their baby. It is rated to 5 lbs after all. I deal with this problem frequently at work. Isn't there an insert coming from Graco?

mykidsmylife

That is why I do the best I can to teach them how to get the baby to fit as best as we can and hope they grow quickly. A crotch roll isnt as good as a new seat but it will make the fit a little better at least. I would much rather a parent return the seat but that wont always happen.

Seth came home at 4lbs 13ozs in a Snugride 22 w/ pedifoam which had a lower bottom slot. At 19.5lbs he fit well but needed a crotch roll. He was still under 5lbs but I wasn't going to go buy a new seat for him for a less than 2 min ride home and for 3 ozs. I did that best I could with what I had available at the time. We expected a 6.5lbs baby or bigger not a 5lbs 3ozs baby.

CommMom

Senior Community Member
That is why I do the best I can to teach them how to get the baby to fit as best as we can and hope they grow quickly. A crotch roll isnt as good as a new seat but it will make the fit a little better at least. I would much rather a parent return the seat but that wont always happen.

I've seen this a lot lately too. I try to make sure to warn them that baby (or babies) may not actually fit in <whatever> seat. I suggest return/replace first, then talk about how to make the fit as good as possible with what they have and stress staying put until baby fits. But I also make sure to warn them (especially if they know they're likely dealing with a premie) that they might end up needing to go get a new seat before its over anyway and here is a list of seats (buckets & convertibles) that fit tiny ones better.

ETA: Awesome that you got the 22's 3-across in that Pilot though. Filing that info away for future reference. :)

Chely7425

At least it's good to know that other things will fit 3 across if 3 22s do? Favis wasn't a preemie, but with growth issues and starting out pretty small he didn't fit in the 22 till 4 months or so,

PunkyMonkey

Do you know what year the pilot was just out of curiousity?! Also were they installed with latch or seatbelts (sorry if that was said and I missed that), my pilot has 3 sets of latch in second row so I'm curious!

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor

Seth came home at 4lbs 13ozs in a Snugride 22 w/ pedifoam which had a lower bottom slot. At 19.5lbs he fit well but needed a crotch roll. He was still under 5lbs but I wasn't going to go buy a new seat for him for a less than 2 min ride home and for 3 ozs. I did that best I could with what I had available at the time. We expected a 6.5lbs baby or bigger not a 5lbs 3ozs baby.

I've seen this a lot lately too. I try to make sure to warn them that baby (or babies) may not actually fit in <whatever> seat. I suggest return/replace first, then talk about how to make the fit as good as possible with what they have and stress staying put until baby fits. But I also make sure to warn them (especially if they know they're likely dealing with a premie) that they might end up needing to go get a new seat before its over anyway and here is a list of seats (buckets & convertibles) that fit tiny ones better.

ETA: Awesome that you got the 22's 3-across in that Pilot though. Filing that info away for future reference. :)

:yeahthatlove: :yeahthatlove:

Yes, we discussed the fact that the babies may not fit and some options and ideas of other seats if they don't. She and her husband both work at our children's hospital and will ask for help with other seats and installation later if needed. She may think over the other suggested seats and get them now, I don't know. She is not expecting to deliver until May.

2 of the seats were from friends, so could not be "returned" for money anyway.

The seats were installed with LATCH outboard and seatbelt for the center one. There was still quite a lot of room - I think other seats would fit fine and the outer ones could be shifted towards the doors and installed with seatbelts for even more room. I was quite impressed with the space in the vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC