Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Is the 3rd row as safe as the 2nd row?

In a FF installation will the 3rd row will be as safe as the 2nd row?
    Lourdes
    mom to Amanda Victoria 6 y/o in a Graco Turbobooster and Sofia Victoria 5 m/o in a Safety 1st On Board 35 Air

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Great article, thanks
    Lourdes
    mom to Amanda Victoria 6 y/o in a Graco Turbobooster and Sofia Victoria 5 m/o in a Safety 1st On Board 35 Air

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810
    Thanks do much for this. I have been looking for a hoot answer to this for a while.

auto correct hates me
    A five stepper and a booster rider

CPS Fanatic

Re: Is the 3rd row as safe as the 2nd row?

I know this may sound like a dumb question ... but how exactly does a headrest help in a crash? One of the comments mentions people not having the headrest where it belongs in the back row and this contributing to fatalities (or injury). The only thing I can think of is if you were thrown forward, on the rebound the headrest would keep your head from snapping backwards so far. Is that all there is to it?

I have seen headrests referred to, I think, as active vs. passive... I think one sort of pushes back against the head? Vs. is more upright and less pushy? How do these differ for crash protection?

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YinzerMama
    I The only thing I can think of is if you were thrown forward, on the rebound the headrest would keep your head from snapping backwards so far. Is that all there is to it?
    Yes, people can suffer injuries ranging from mild to deadly due to their necks snapping around. This can happen on the rebound in a frontal crash or the initial impact in a rear crash. This is also why backless boosters (and some high-backs) require head support. Really no one should ride without head support.

I have seen headrests referred to, I think, as active vs. passive... I think one sort of pushes back against the head? Vs. is more upright and less pushy? How do these differ for crash protection?
    Your head should be no more than 4 inches from the headrest during normal circumstances. If your head is too far away, it has that much further to travel/travel back in a crash. The headrests that jut forward decrease the amount of room between the head and the headrest. There are also headrests that actively move forward in a crash, again reducing the distance the head has to travel.

8. Thank You from:

Ive been wondering this about my Yukon XL where the second and third rows are quite close.
    Heather, proud mommy to:
    Dustin 12y & 105 lbs 5-stepped/Seatbelt only
    Colton 6y & 43lb FF RXT/Pinnacle/FR90
    Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85

CPS Fanatic

Thank you Jennie

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810
    Your head should be no more than 4 inches from the headrest during normal circumstances. If your head is too far away, it has that much further to travel/travel back in a crash. The headrests that jut forward decrease the amount of room between the head and the headrest. There are also headrests that actively move forward in a crash, again reducing the distance the head has to travel.
    Do you happen to have an article/source stating this? I can't get my parents to put their seats more upright no matter what I say, but if I had a link to email, maybe they'd listen...
    Kate // CPST, SK Senior Checker, & Mom to M (12/2010)

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by creideamh

Do you happen to have an article/source stating this? I can't get my parents to put their seats more upright no matter what I say, but if I had a link to email, maybe they'd listen...
    No, but I can look

Oh... I can't do it! I was going to install DD Complete Air FF in the Highlander because her Radian was in my mom's car but I can't see her FF yet, so I went to my mom's house to pick up the Radian. The Complete Air is a pain to install RF in the Highlander, she has ride FF for 5 minutes trips but I am not ready for her to be FF any more than that.
    Lourdes