Seat belt expiration

Baylor

Have been trying to determine when seat belts should be replaced based on normal wear as good maintenance on a car.

I have been wondering if seat belts are the same or are they different and more durable with different webbing techniques or types of belts?

Is the seat belt the same on a 1990 ford as a 2000 ford? Will the 2000 sb last longer because better design?

Any thoughts?

auto correct hates me

Last edited:
ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
In general, webbing is webbing, although it can be made to different strengths/thicknesses. For example--we're not using webbing that is of the same thickness as we would find on a child restraint, in our vehicles. Webbing abrasion, colourfastness, and various use/exposure scenarios are tested under FMVSS in accelerated testing. So just like carseats, it's all required to meet a minimum standard. The question is this: How do we translate this testing into a reasonable lifespan for seatbelts? {Also noting that seatbelts are a system, and we're not just looking at webbing exclusively--your seatbelts include webbing, d-rings, buckles, latchplates, retractors, etc...}

Having said that--I do have a "classic" vehicle, so seatbelt expiration is something I have looked into. Seatbelt expiration recommendations run the span of 2 years (for race car drivers) to 25 years (classic cars), at least in the classic car/hotrod circles here in Vancouver. Most of the hotrod/kit car folks have add-on belts (since belts weren't present in the original vehicles) if any at all, however. So this isn't exactly a common concern with people who have older vehicles, since they tend not to be daily drivers and most of the drivers with classic cars are older and didn't even wear belts growing up.

My 1989 Landcruiser is 23 years old, and I do believe that the seatbelts should be replaced now or soon. First, I inspected the belts for damage--and although there's a little bit of fraying and nothing really obvious with the belts, the webbing actually feels differently than newer car belts. The webbing feels a bit like it's stiff and "melted" to itself. It's not soft or pliable. This is probably contributing to the fact that the belts are not being picked up and spooled in by the retractor very easily. My retractors also seem a little slow on emergency locking. It's very difficult to trigger the emergency locking feature. Furthermore, the buckle button on the driver's side is missing so I have to dig down for my buckle these days..right there, this would warrant replacement because the belt is technically missing parts. All of these issues combined mean it's logical to conclude that, at only 138k miles but 23 years old, at 23 years most vehicles will have exceeded a reasonable lifespan for the seatbelts.

I think a conservative number for belts would be 15 years, assuming that they're being inspected and there's no obvious damage to the belt, buckle, or retractor(s). At that point, I would encourage someone driving an older vehicle to inspect their belts every few months for problems. The 20 year mark in a vehicle that has been well cared for is probably approaching the reasonable lifespan for a belt.

My Odyssey is just over a year old, and the driver's belt is fraying.. so you just never know. If you haven't owned the car since new, you also don't know what might've been done to those belts over all of those years. That may factor into your decision with regards to seatbelt replacement.

Most import manufacturers will replace belts under lifetime warranty. I know for a fact that Honda is absolutely wonderful about doing this. Apparently the domestics haven't been as good about it--since I know two people lately who've tried to have seatbelts replaced as a result of broken cinching mechanisms only to be told that the belts aren't covered beyond the original warranty period. Both were Chrysler products. Obviously this isn't in the best interest of the vehicle manufacturer, as far as liability goes.

My official answer on the lifespan of seatbelts:
You should replace your seatbelts if you spot any damage, they have missing parts, or the parts are not operating as intended by the manufacturer. Older belts should be replaced as per manufacturers' instructions. It is important to inspect your belts for damage and malfunctioning parts on a yearly basis, increasing to every few months once the belts reach the 15 year mark. The reasonable lifespan of belts will depend on use, abrasion, exposure to chemicals, and a variety of other variables that cannot be accounted for in a single lifespan number that is applied to all vehicles, belts, or situations.

But..just my opinion. :)

-Nicole.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Logically, it would accelerate the wear in those specific areas where the belt contacts the child restraint. I actually frayed about 35% through a Two-Way belt in the area it was looped through my vehicle seat rail, just from the movement of the seat and vehicle over a 3 month install. Although obviously we wouldn't see something quite as extreme with a regular seatbelt, friction does damage belts over time. Fortunately this is something that's lab tested and it's factored into normal wear and tear on the belts.

Again--I would honestly expect retractor and/or belt and buckle failure before full-out webbing failure. Webbing may not perform as well due to abrasion, stretch, extreme temperatures, etc...but would it all-out fail? Probably not.

-N.

Baylor

Thank you very much. You answered all the questions about this that have been running around my head. :)

auto correct hates me

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC