Question Is the 3rd row as safe as the 2nd row?

ADS

YinzerMama

I know this may sound like a dumb question ... but how exactly does a headrest help in a crash? One of the comments mentions people not having the headrest where it belongs in the back row and this contributing to fatalities (or injury). The only thing I can think of is if you were thrown forward, on the rebound the headrest would keep your head from snapping backwards so far. Is that all there is to it?

I have seen headrests referred to, I think, as active vs. passive... I think one sort of pushes back against the head? Vs. is more upright and less pushy? How do these differ for crash protection?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
YinzerMama said:
I The only thing I can think of is if you were thrown forward, on the rebound the headrest would keep your head from snapping backwards so far. Is that all there is to it?

Yes, people can suffer injuries ranging from mild to deadly due to their necks snapping around. This can happen on the rebound in a frontal crash or the initial impact in a rear crash. This is also why backless boosters (and some high-backs) require head support. Really no one should ride without head support.

I have seen headrests referred to, I think, as active vs. passive... I think one sort of pushes back against the head? Vs. is more upright and less pushy? How do these differ for crash protection?

Your head should be no more than 4 inches from the headrest during normal circumstances. If your head is too far away, it has that much further to travel/travel back in a crash. The headrests that jut forward decrease the amount of room between the head and the headrest. There are also headrests that actively move forward in a crash, again reducing the distance the head has to travel.

hrice

Ive been wondering this about my Yukon XL where the second and third rows are quite close.

creideamh

LISmama810 said:
Your head should be no more than 4 inches from the headrest during normal circumstances. If your head is too far away, it has that much further to travel/travel back in a crash. The headrests that jut forward decrease the amount of room between the head and the headrest. There are also headrests that actively move forward in a crash, again reducing the distance the head has to travel.

Do you happen to have an article/source stating this? I can't get my parents to put their seats more upright no matter what I say, but if I had a link to email, maybe they'd listen...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
creideamh said:
Do you happen to have an article/source stating this? I can't get my parents to put their seats more upright no matter what I say, but if I had a link to email, maybe they'd listen...

No, but I can look

lourdes

Oh... I can't do it! I was going to install DD Complete Air FF in the Highlander because her Radian was in my mom's car but I can't see her FF yet, so I went to my mom's house to pick up the Radian. The Complete Air is a pain to install RF in the Highlander, she has ride FF for 5 minutes trips but I am not ready for her to be FF any more than that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC