Dear Radian, where have you been all my life?

tm4d

After our failed attempt with the Pria we decided to bite the bullet and try a Radian, especially with being able to get one @ Kohls for about $200 after discounts...I am totally swept away...I don't know why I thought I wouldn't like this seat but it's way better than I expected. My first love will always be the TF :love: but I think the radian will work well for us. DD (4 yrs, 38", 32 lbs.) LOVES it...I'm sure the Spring pattern has nothing to do with that :rolleyes: Install was a breeze. Couldn't believe it was in TIGHT in like 30 secs. each time. I kept hearing that the RF install could be difficult...right now it isn't tethered; I've never tethered before and need to study the manual on that one. This is in a 2006 Mazda 5 by the way.

Pix....

Plenty of leg room even with the AA (will try to remember to post before/after in the AA thread:)
6822169320_7b393afe33_z.jpg

Look at all that room she has left :D:
6822170508_91402c128e_z.jpg

ADS

Phineasmama

Aren't they awesome!? We have spring as well, love the colors :love:

I have an older Radian too and IMO the new "diono" seats after they revamped them are much nicer. The straps, the new crotch buckle, the new infant padding...I really just love everything about them!

tm4d

I had never seen one until today. This mama is totally impressed. I usually favor seatbelt installs (can just get them tighter) over LATCH but I always try LATCH first just to "practice" and to see if *maybe* I can get it. Pretty sure dh was appalled when I came back inside after 5 min. with a smile on my face :D

I love Spring but I reeeaaallllyyyy wanted plum; it's just so pretty and would have matched my interior better :love:...but dd had her heart set (and since Kohls doesn't carry all the colors this one was cheaper through them anyway...so she saved me money LOL.) I like it better in person and the fabric is very soft - I was under the impression that it was more "canvas-like" than soft/plush.

kirst

I just installed my dds radian in the tahoe tonight and didnt go so well with the seatbelt but was really easy with the latch! Were using it with the aa and im loving it so much easier to get her in and of course more leg room than the blvd 70. my only concern is how she will sleep on our trip tomorrow since shes more upright than in her blvd.

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
I have an XT and an XTSL, which install like a dream in my 2007 Saturn Ion and not too bad in my 1999 Chrysler Town and Country. I JUST installed the XTSL in my Saturn with the AA, and Patrick LOVES being more upright in that seat. I took my XTSL with us when we flew down to Texas (just me and Patrick), and the backpack mode was VERY helpful.

msg221

My poor Plum Radian just got boxed up again and is sitting in the garage! I have the Argos in there now for the girls and the FR85 for Zain and Ethan. When we have Chase, I will have to swap the FR85 out for one of the three convertibles I still have. Tomorrow will be the first time one of the girls has been in the Argos, although Nour has one in her mom's van.

I hate just having the Radian boxed up, but Zain would not be happy if his cow seat wasn't in there! I am torn about what to do with that Radian. I hate to part with it, but I also hate that it isn't getting used!

tm4d

I was fully reading the manual last night and had a question that maybe someone can answer? Hopefully someone who knows will see this otherwise I'll start a new thread...

I have read and re-read the section on the crotch buckle but can't for the life of me understand what the "rules" are as far as placement. I'm pretty sure it arrived with the crotch buckle in the center of the three positions and when dd is in it it looks like it could stand to move back a notch closer to her? If I am reading right the manual says:

"For children over 30 lbs:
Always use forward-most buckle location."

She's 32 lbs...and I have no clue what that means. Does it mean I actually need to move it the other direction?? I guess I don't get the "forward-most" part :p If I move it all the way to the front position it is going to pull back even more when she's buckled in....which will look like picture C on that page (the one with the x through it for how it's not supposed to fit...but I am confused about whether those pics are for 5-30 lb. kids or what.)

MorgieBear'sMama

I have wondered about that myself. It clearly says the buckle cannot be in front of the child then says for 30# and up it must be in the outer position. Maybe someone eho has called about it will come along and answer.

Ashley- Mom to Morgan 2/25/04 riding in SK Monterey and Cleck Olli, Jackson and Colton 11/1/10 riding in Diono R120's and Recaro ProRIDE's

mrosehughes

tm4d said:
I was fully reading the manual last night and had a question that maybe someone can answer? Hopefully someone who knows will see this otherwise I'll start a new thread...

I have read and re-read the section on the crotch buckle but can't for the life of me understand what the "rules" are as far as placement. I'm pretty sure it arrived with the crotch buckle in the center of the three positions and when dd is in it it looks like it could stand to move back a notch closer to her? If I am reading right the manual says:

"For children over 30 lbs:
Always use forward-most buckle location."

She's 32 lbs...and I have no clue what that means. Does it mean I actually need to move it the other direction?? I guess I don't get the "forward-most" part :p If I move it all the way to the front position it is going to pull back even more when she's buckled in....which will look like picture C on that page (the one with the x through it for how it's not supposed to fit...but I am confused about whether those pics are for 5-30 lb. kids or what.)

Eek, I didn't realize I need to move the buckle... I hate rules like that (that trump other rules and aren't in writing somewhere on the seat). Thank you!

carseatfreak

I hear you! I am a die hard classic MA lover but since I have had dh's Radians in my van for a couple of weeks I have fallen in love. Dd's can climb in the seats by themselves, we can do 3 across in the middle row of my van easily... I drool over the leg room! Thinking very hard about giving grandma back her classic MA's and getting two more radians.

PunkyMonkey

My SIL has a Mazda 5 and they really hit the nail on the head with their seats & angles of the seats. Everything I've ever installed in there literally goes in perfectly and is a breeze and I have yet to need a pool noodle! That looks great in there!

tm4d

Thanks all....I checked again today when we got in the car and the buckle actually did come in the farthest slot so it's where it needs to be it sounds like....still looks a little bit far out but at least it won't have to go any further out and hopefully she'll grow into it. She's a very "narrow" kid if that makes sense, both front to back and side to side.

She also fell asleep in it tonight on the way back from a family function and her head was perfectly upright, no slump. Wondered how that'd go with the seat so upright but it was perfect :love:

laurengt

I am also a huge Radian lover! We have 2 XTSLs and I'm planning to buy a RXT soon for my mom's car.

I've had great luck installing outboard in my '02 Escape (middle is a little testy with belt or LATCH I think due to the 60/40 bench). Amazingly quick and easy install in DHs '07 Impala.

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
My SIL has a Mazda 5 and they really hit the nail on the head with their seats & angles of the seats. Everything I've ever installed in there literally goes in perfectly and is a breeze and I have yet to need a pool noodle! That looks great in there!

Mazda 5 has just been added to my list of vehicles to consider when our 1999 T&C finally bites it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC