Need travel ideas!

M

musicalkel

Hi!

My family will be flying with 4 young children (3.5/2/15m/11m) in May to Texas for my brother's graduation from basic training. I have a couple questions:

First, I'm 100% NOT comfortable checking my carseat and I don't really want my SIL to either, but we're on severely limited funds. So the babies will be on our laps. Two of the 4 carseats will be on the plane with us, thankfully, for the older two to sit in, but then the babies would get those seats (Evenflo 65e for all 4). However, I didn't think to save the boxes the seats came in, so rock meet hard place.

I was thinking about getting a booster for my 3.5 yr old (though I really DON'T like that idea) to use while we're down there, but then I'm stuck on what to do about my 2 yr old neice.

Other than having one of us go to Wal-mart and leave the rest of the family at the airport and buying 2 new seats....any ideas?

ADS

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
2 Cosco Scenera's for the youngest 2? You could pack them both in a box and hope they make it ok? I would feel comfortable putting a 3.5 yr old in a booster personally but that's your call to make.

Jan06twinmom

I would not feel comfortable putting a 3.5yo in a booster seat at all. A 3yo does not have the maturity to sit properly in a booster seat.

How big are the children? Which ones are still riding rf? At the ages you listed, all 4 could probably be riding rear-facing.

I agree with the pp suggestion about buying two Scenera car seats for the babies to use. You could pack them in a box and check them and hope that they arrive with you and undamaged.

Is there someone who could pick up car seats in Texas and meet you at the airport? That would probably be easier than having someone leave the airport to buy seats for you. However, you would have to decide what you are going to do with the seats afterwards.

Another alternative - get one Scenera for one of the babies and an RSTV for the 3.5yo to use in Texas.

Melanie

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I was thinking a Ride Safer Travel Vest for the 3.5 year old. A booster for a 3.5 year old is not something I would do short of zombie invasion.

Sceneras fit EXCELLENTLY well in the Dish Barrel box from U-Haul, which has double sides and might be more protective than a regular box for checking in, especially if you pad it, if you end up doing that.

Another thing to consider is, will you be renting a car, or will someone be picking you up? If you're renting the car, call the rental place and ask if they will accept delivery on and hold at the counter for you car seats for the children. If you ask nicely enough, they might well do that for you. If you are having a friend/relative pick you up, you could ship car seats ahead to them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC