Need a car seat 15.5inches wide or less!

Byron

I flying transatlantic with Air-Transat. The space for car seats on the plane is 15.5 inches. and I need it to rear face.

http://www.airtransat.ca/en/Info/travelling-with-children.aspx?ExitID=42&ContentType=voyageur

Spoke on the phone to them and if the arm rests go up, the seat becomes 16.5in, but told not to count on getting seat where arms move. i.e. the bulk heads and some other sections the arms don't move.

I also need the seat to be a rear facer a VW Jetta with a passinger in frount.

So, the Radian is narrow, but wont fit the jetta, and I would have to be guarenteed a bulk head seat (which A-T wont) to ensure I can use it.

Does anyone know of a seat that is available and useable in Canada that will fit this seat AND rear race in a Jetta.

I have aked this before, but thought I had 16.5in guarenteed, but still did not find a seat that would work. Only alternative is to get a radian and forward face, but DS will be 11 month old and est 19-20lb, o
give up the seat altogether and lap belt!:eek:

TIA.l.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I flying transatlantic with Air-Transat. The space for car seats on the plane is 15.5 inches. and I need it to rear face.

http://www.airtransat.ca/en/Info/travelling-with-children.aspx?ExitID=42&ContentType=voyageur

Spoke on the phone to them and if the arm rests go up, the seat becomes 16.5in, but told not to count on getting seat where arms move. i.e. the bulk heads and some other sections the arms don't move.

I also need the seat to be a rear facer a VW Jetta with a passinger in frount.

So, the Radian is narrow, but wont fit the jetta, and I would have to be guarenteed a bulk head seat (which A-T wont) to ensure I can use it.

Does anyone know of a seat that is available and useable in Canada that will fit this seat AND rear race in a Jetta.

I have aked this before, but thought I had 16.5in guarenteed, but still did not find a seat that would work. Only alternative is to get a radian and forward face, but DS will be 11 month old and est 19-20lb, o
give up the seat altogether and lap belt!:eek:

TIA.l.

Are there any infant seats he still fits in?

tam_shops

Does VW allow bracing?

Could you use an Angle Adjuster in the car, so the Radian fits AND sit back there so you can watch him, since you're *supposed* to wait until they are 1yo before using it?

Even the Scenera is more like 17". I know it FF in an older Jetta well, with no noodles, so might work there anyway?

Really, not sure how an adult is going to fit if it's *that* much more narrow than even a Scenera, our GN has to be at least a few inches wider than that and I can tell you my butt doesn't fit in it! LOL

tam

Byron

Yes he fits in an infant seat, but the infant seat we have is 17`wide.

Unfourtunatly when in the jetta, there is another seat in there too. Also there is usually only one adult - the driver, so they are not able to sit in the back and watch.

Sorry, not sure what bracing is. I can rear teather.

The jetta is a 2002

(my 9 month old is helping with the typing, sorry for any of his typos!)

Byron

I remember my last flight. I took a brest feeding cushion with me, and it would not fir in the seat over my knee. THey are small. Its a budget airline, but they are the only direct airline.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What infant seat do you have? Did you measure including the base? At what point did you measure? If the handle can be down during travel that may make it narrower at the level where the armrests hit-which is the only part that matters.

That said, people here have traveled with a wide range of car seats on planes. FAs will almost always happily move your seats to make sure you can use the car seats, and the measurements they give don't matter much-a Scenera or even much wider seat WILL fit on a seat with the armrests up, it's done all the time even with quite wide seats. Even on narrow plane seats there's almost never a problem.

Byron

The infant seat is an old graco. I measued without base, and handle.

All the other airlines have 17inches or 17.5inches plus.Whcich I know sounds neglable, but that could easily be the differance between fitting and not. The widths are incuding the arm rest space.

Does anyone know if the arm rests next to the window and at the end of the isle are movable.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The one next to the window won't be (which is where you'll need to put the seat typically.) The one next to the aisle usually but not always is.

The thing is that it really is ok for a car seat to spill over into the next seat a bit, just like a passenger does. Might make you a bit uncomfortable sitting next to it, but it's usually doable, even on VERY narrow airplane seats. :)

chay

I fly a lot with an older Marathon and I think it would work. The base is really narrow and the part that flares out is above the armrests on all of the airlines I've had it on (Air Canada, West Jet, Porter, Sunwing, Thomas Cook) so I think it would work on a narrower seat. RF it is REALLY upright (not suitable for young babies but for an almost 1 year old it is still more reclined than FF). I'm not sure how the new style Marathons compare but they are also fairly high up so they might work as well. A MyRide might be another option to look into since it is also high up on a base.

My coworker has an older one installed RF in his 2000 Jetta. It is really upright but works for his 2 year old.

bubbaray

I almost never take connecting flights, but I would rather do that than fly Air Transat ever again. Worst.experience.ever. Even DH agrees.

I will say, however, that if the AT staff are telling the OP that their seat width is 15.5 inches, that is all it is. I've flown pretty much every North American and European airline and AT is the most cramped for room -- smallest seats, smallest pitch, etc..

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't think anyone is doubting that they are extremely narrow seats- just trying to explain that the seat can overhang, or as mentioned above, sit above the armrests, and therefore the widest measurement of the car seat is not necessarily the part that matters the most for fitting it on. :)

mommycat

Can you check your ticket to see what the specific aircraft is? (ie 737, airbus, etc) That might give us a better idea. The Marathon and Scenera do well as travel seats typically, as mentioned, but I agree it's a bit scary to assume only to find out differently. I would check into infant seat options as well, for peace of mind. Then if that doesn't pan out and you don't find anything better, probably take the Scenera since if you do need to check it it isn't as expensive to replace if you feel it's been compromised, and it's light to carry, and narrow/small so more likely to fit. And it flares out as well so it could potentially clear the armrests even if they don't move - in a bhd seat they likely won't move, but you would probably have a little more room in front to recline it more on a rolled towel/blanket/noodle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC