Most fuel efficient plus good crash ratings 6+ passenger vehicle?

mom2kk

I drive a Suburban right now, and love the hauling space, hate the gas guzzling and parking it. We're about out of the huge stroller stage & hauling tons of kid cargo, so I'm considering down sizing. But I don't want to give up my flexibility to haul 4-5 kids in car seats in the back because I do periodic babysitting gigs. I'm having a hard time figuring out if its worth the cost, though, to change...because will take a hit when we sell, then again on sales tax when we buy, and all these Minivans and 3rd row crossovers that I see don't seem to get that much better MPG. Any gems out there I may be missing? I get avg 14 MPG city/hwy combined, on a good highway tank it is 16 MPG...trying to get mid 20s or better Hwy.

ADS

Dorothy

mom2kk said:
I drive a Suburban right now, and love the hauling space, hate the gas guzzling and parking it. We're about out of the huge stroller stage & hauling tons of kid cargo, so I'm considering down sizing. But I don't want to give up my flexibility to haul 4-5 kids in car seats in the back because I do periodic babysitting gigs. I'm having a hard time figuring out if its worth the cost, though, to change...because will take a hit when we sell, then again on sales tax when we buy, and all these Minivans and 3rd row crossovers that I see don't seem to get that much better MPG. Any gems out there I may be missing? I get avg 14 MPG city/hwy combined, on a good highway tank it is 16 MPG...trying to get mid 20s or better Hwy.

I'm car shopping right now, too. From asking questions here, I looked at the Honda Pilot, Ford Flex, Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna. I know all of those don't get mid-20s combined fuel economy, but its a start. We had also looked at the Buick Enclave, but it just didn't have the seating flexibility of the others in regards to accommodating carseats. HTH

ETA- Just realized I mis-typed. They don't all get mid-20s highway, but I believe the four I mentioned first all have EPA estimates of 20+ MPG highway. :)

Sent from my phone using the app :)

MommyShannon

We have an '06 Odyssey Touring and even with sitting in the pickup line idling or barely moving for 10 minutes + every day, I average 23 mpg. I think we got around 25/26 when we were driving highway more.

laudymama

I have an '06 Pilot EXL and I think we avg about 22-23 highway. Around town I am not sure….I don't keep track of that as well:eek:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The most fuel efficient for 6+ passengers is the Highlander Hybrid. It's rated 28 city and 28 highway. We get well over 30mpg city most of the year, but less in the winter months. The highway rating is pretty close year round.

Problem is, it won't haul 7 people plus cargo. With all seats in use, the cargo area behind the third row is only sufficient for a small load of groceries or an umbrella stroller.
To seat 7 or 8 and a lot of stuff, your most fuel efficient choice on paper is probably the 2011-2012 Odyssey Touring.

Neither one of these options is cheap. Figure close to 40k after taxes and fees without any extras, a bit less if you get a good deal.

elyrayday

To seat 7 or 8 and a lot of stuff, your most fuel efficient choice on paper is probably the 2011-2012 Odyssey Touring.

Neither one of these options is cheap. Figure close to 40k after taxes and fees without any extras, a bit less if you get a good deal.

You don't need to buy the Touring Odyssey to get good gas mileage! - check out the Odyssey LX and EX (EX-L if you want leather).

The Touring's gas mileage (28 mpg) is only 1 mpg higher than these lower trims. The LX, EX, and EX-L get 27 mpg on the highway. Sure the Touring costs 40k, but we got our 2012 EX (seats 8) for under 29k. The LX (seats 7) is more like 26-27k.

Good people-hauler, tons of cargo space, good gas milage, and fair price. Would definitely recommend considering it! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC