Ds's preschool "Car seat" info/paper sent home...?

noahsmom24

I received this in ds's backpack from Preschool, read the paper below.
What you do if anything? let it go or...?

Attachments

• carseat1.jpg
    carseat1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 263
  • carseat2.jpg
    carseat2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 211
ADS

CelestinoZ

I think it is excellent advice, although I wouldn't put a 20 pound toddler forward facing yet. The first part was good to mention, many people think that they can just hold their small babies if a car seat isn't available. But if a parent where holding their 20 pound child, in a collision at just 15-20 miles per hour, that body becomes a projectile. And with the forces of the crash, the toddler will feel like they weight over 200 pounds. This is basic physics, this is also the reason rear-facing is safer for everyone, especially infants and young toddlers.

noahsmom24

See, I see room for so much more information that could be added.
I know they know if they don't keep it simple then it isn't going to be looked over anyway, but this just seems so lacking to me.

I really LOVE the NHTSA flyer, I think I will actually give this a try. This is the exact Info I would like parents to read, this flyer given to us from the preschool is a nice guideline but lacking to me. I wish it had a little tidbit about expired seats as well, even if it was as simple as saying that car seats do expire! I see so many crazy old car seats in use! :(

Evolily

I think it's great that they're trying, if they would switch some of the wording to correspond with more modern understandings/weight limits I'd be happy! The only other thing I'd like to see is a referral for additional help (website, safe kids, local place that has CPSTs who do seat checks, etc).

If they add TOO much people won't bother reading.

noahsmom24

I think it's great that they're trying, if they would switch some of the wording to correspond with more modern understandings/weight limits I'd be happy! The only other thing I'd like to see is a referral for additional help (website, safe kids, local place that has CPSTs who do seat checks, etc).

If they add TOO much people won't bother reading.

Yea, that's what I said, if it isn't simple and short then parents are not going to even bother.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nti/pdf/NHTSAcarseatrecommendations.pdf

I really like the above flyer though.

Laurelz

It's way better than what our daycare says!!! I think it's a great handout. It's not the 3-4 page long reasons I would give covering every detail (ha!) but it's short and covers the general important parts.

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
See, I see room for so much more information that could be added.
I know they know if they don't keep it simple then it isn't going to be looked over anyway, but this just seems so lacking to me.

I really LOVE the NHTSA flyer, I think I will actually give this a try. This is the exact Info I would like parents to read, this flyer given to us from the preschool is a nice guideline but lacking to me. I wish it had a little tidbit about expired seats as well, even if it was as simple as saying that car seats do expire! I see so many crazy old car seats in use! :(

I would also be bothered by their info sheet and would probably try the NHTSA flyer. I think it is important to stress that a child should remain in the lower steps as long as possible, especially RF.

noahsmom24

I would also be bothered by their info sheet and would probably try the NHTSA flyer. I think it is important to stress that a child should remain in the lower steps as long as possible, especially RF.
Glad I'm not the only one, ds is on spring break now but I'm going to print the NHTSA flyer and take it in when ds goes back to preschool. To see if they will start using it, Maybe give them some websites they can go to themselves to see their is better info out there then just what is on the paper they are sending out. I think this paper just sort of reads the BARE minimums and gives the parents the frame of mind its OK to put their child in a booster even younger then 4. Since the flyer reads under Forward-Facing Child Seat in parenthesis (up to about 4 years old)..

Athena

I think this paper just sort of reads the BARE minimums and gives the parents the frame of mind its OK to put their child in a booster even younger then 4.

Not just ok, but if I were reading this and didn't know better, I think I would interpret it as what I am supposed to do, like a toddler should be forward and 4 year old should be boostered. It's great they are trying, but it'll be even better when you take them the NHTSA handout. :)

noahsmom24

Yes, he does have a good preschool they send out things to us weekly, several times a week! I agree I'm happy to see them trying. I really enjoy the recipes they send home to us, we've tried a few of them now lol

I will update on their response to this flyer, I'm going to print off a few and since I know a few teachers, the disability coordinator and the receptionist I can hand one to each. They all are really their for the kids, I will be sad when ds leaves the school & stars K. At first I wasn't to happy with them, but once we were able to settle things I really like them all.

noahsmom24

I'm finally getting around to taking the NHTSA Flyer in to the preschool, I got them printed out in color and plan to take them tomorrow morning. I printed 10 and handed out to my bosses. I've got 5 lol and 1 has 2 children who him and his wife has adopted from two different countries still in car seats and then my other who has 2 grandchildren under 3 and one on the way. They were both so appreciative and wanted to learn more! :D I was able to bust out my car seat knowledge and I was glad to learn some of they already knew, but wasn't aware of ERF and why that it was safer. I wish everyone was so accepting of this info. Anyway, I hope ds's preschool will use these flyers, wish me luck! :) I plan to give a couple flyers to another friend who I work with who has a 7month old today when she gets here at 11.

noahsmom24

The preschool did take the paper this morning and loved the info. :) It will be copied and be going out in the kids backpacks asap they said. I also gave a couple more links as well and this forum.

Laurenc0101

It's always great to hear that people are receptive to the updated guidelines! Hopefully people pay attention to the new handouts and ask lots of questions!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC